View Full Version : quiet today!

Slipknot
11-28-2000, 07:24 PM
Is everybody out fishing or busy catching up with work?

My boat was hauled home today. I still can't put the poles away yet , especially after seeing all the talk about the Thames river. 1-1/2 hour drive you say Got Stripers? hmmmm tempting. My last 2 times out I got zippo so maybe I should go there for one last shot.

Got Stripers
11-28-2000, 08:53 PM
I'm still waiting to set a date to meet the two guys from NY that are going to put me on all those holdover stripers. They talk about 50 fish days and say January is the best month. I'm hoping to get down there in the next couple of weeks to check it out. I will report on the fishing and I hope there is something to report.

I'm not done, refuse to quit. Maybe I'm done striper fishing locally, but there are cod to be had all winter, just need the right weather conditions. Love to get to the Keys next month for a long weekend to visit my folks (yeah right, lol) and maybe get in a couple of days on the flats.

Tight lines.

slipknot
11-28-2000, 09:22 PM
Be sure to let us know if you get any tarpoon or bones while down there.

schoolie monster
11-29-2000, 04:56 PM
Got Stripers,

There is an article about the Thames in the November 1998(possibly, 1999) issue of On the Water. It describes the techniques and areas pretty well.

That is actually where I heard of the fishery down there.

I'm definitely planning on hitting it when I get my boat wired and engine serviced... just a matter of finding time to get that done. The one thing the article didn't cover was specific launch areas and whether or not you need a fishing license. I'm not sure how far up the river you can fish w/out a license... I guess a call to the CT game commission would answer those questions.

Let us know if you hit it... ah, man... my grandparents wintered in Isle Mirada (sp?) for 15 years or so up until 4 or 5 years ago. They also had a 17' Montauk. They had a standing invitation to visit anytime, but I was in school and then busy getting my career established... I never made it down... one more of those "if I knew then what I know now" blown opportunities. Unfortunately, my grandfather's health began to fade and they sold the whaler and stopped going. If I had it to do over... not to mention that I could've got the whaler for next to nothing if they would have thought I was interested. Painful to look back sometimes.

Definitely fill us in if you head down there.

Slipknot
11-29-2000, 05:32 PM
schoolie monster, Do you get the fisherman magazine? The cover this week has a picture of a POON! Man I would learn flyfishing just to hook up with one of those fish. I gotta get back to work so I can save up for that Dream Vacation of a lifetime. I have an uncle in Key Largo, I may have to have him do some research for me and get the lowdown on the guides and places to stay.

Later, slipknot

Got Stripers
11-29-2000, 05:54 PM
Schoolie any chance you could fax me a copy of that article? My fax number is 781 293-9752, much appreciated. I haven't had a chance to check into the regs but one of the guys from NY said there was a 3 day permit available. I'll let you know when I find out something.

If I fit in the trip to the keys just before X-mas, then the holiday, I doubt I will get to the Thames until January. But by then I'll be needing a good fix of any kind of fishing, lol.

Tight lines.

schoolie monster
12-02-2000, 12:11 PM
Hey GS,

I'll take that article to work this week and fax it to you. Its got some pretty good stuff in it.

I'm finishing up with some work on my addition this weekend and next weekend will be spent re-wiring my boat. Once that's done and I have my graphs working, its just waiting for a decent weekend.

Tight lines...

Slipknot... tell me you don't want to pound Andy Mill. Man, that's become my new show each night at dinner. That's some sweet water down there. Go visit your uncle... don't blow opportunities like I did. My uncle still makes a couple of trips to that area and I'm gonna try and hook up with him if not this year, next year. This is gonna be a long winter!

schoolie monster
12-06-2000, 05:07 PM
Got Stripers,

I faxed that article over. The machine is pretty much a piece of crap, so I think a couple of the pages stuck together. I think it was only the title page, so you should have the whole article. Let me know if that's the case. I hope it helps out.

Slipknot... what's up with OLN... I tuned in for some Tarpon, bonefish, maybe some reds... what do I get? A couple of fat guys cutting logs with chainsaws! They moved or killed Andy Mill. Lumberjacking... now that's gotta bring the ratings.