View Full Version : Band saw blades

Back Beach
01-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Found a nice Delta band saw on C.L. and picked it up...its like new but needs a blade. Previous owner was doing thin diameter material curved cuts with it, thus it has a real skinny 1/8" blade on it.

I'm looking to get a 3/8" blade with 6 teeth per inch for lip slots and stuff. Will this blade do the job or is there a better blade? Max size blade for the saw is 3/8.

JFigliuolo
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Found a nice Delta band saw on C.L. and picked it up...its like new but needs a blade. Previous owner was doing thin diameter material curved cuts with it, thus it has a real skinny 1/8" blade on it.

I'm looking to get a 3/8" blade with 6 teeth per inch for lip slots and stuff. Will this blade do the job or is there a better blade? Max size blade for the saw is 3/8.

Get the highest TPI you can, thickest to so 3/8 is the way to go.

Slipknot
01-19-2010, 10:09 AM
you might be fine with a 1/4" blade

what size saw? 14"?

Back Beach
01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
you might be fine with a 1/4" blade

what size saw? 14"?

10" and the manual says maximum blade it can take is 3/8"

numbskull
01-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't know squat about little bandsaws, but in general bandsaw blades come in hook tooth for rapid cutting, or skip tooth for slower smoother cuts. The more teeth per inch, the better for thin stock, the fewer teeth the better for thick stock. To cut well you need to make sure the wheels are aligned (ie in same plane and on same vertical axis), the table is square to the blade, the blade guides set correctly, and the blade is tensioned correctly. For a little saw I'd think anything over 1/4 " would be hard to tension. Straight cuts are all about saw set up, not blade width.

Finally, bandsaw blades do not cut parallel to a miter slot EVER unless you are very lucky. Each blade has its own "natural" track that is usually a few degrees off paralell....and for which the fence should be adjusted......although that is unnecessary for a 1/2" lip slot.

Charleston
01-19-2010, 01:14 PM
In a samll saw a 1/4 inch wide 18 TPI blade is ideal. The 6 TPI blade will cut very rough.

JFigliuolo
01-19-2010, 04:32 PM
I know less the numby, but I do have better luck cutting nice clean, straight cuts w/a 3/8 blade high TPI like I said before (I also have a 10" bandsaw).