View Full Version : Explosion rocks oil refinery

mikecc
02-21-2003, 11:08 AM
Just saw on the news that an explosion rocked an oil refinery on long Island. Seems to have happened while refueling a barge. Looks pretty bad

JohnR
02-21-2003, 11:16 AM
I've been watching an Internet news feed and there is nothing pointing to anything but an accident yet. Waiting for more info

Striper SniperX
02-21-2003, 12:16 PM
Mikecc.
Not Long Island, But Staten Isand.

Think it's terror attack??? oil prices will probably jack up now, huh??

Jeeze- 2 fires in such a close time frame, this is crazy!

Jimbo
02-21-2003, 12:35 PM
They're still calling it an accident which occurred while loading butane. Right now they're not calling for anyone to evacuate, nor are they calling it terrorist, nor are they anticipating the spread of a fire to the surrounding community. I agree, too many tragedies where it ends up being caused by some "stupid human trick".
BTW - the price of gas now is based on what the crude was purchased for many months ago, so something like this shouldn't affect the immediate price. I heard the explosion was felt down in Hazlet and Red Bank.

fishweewee
02-21-2003, 02:05 PM
This is a major East Coast terminal.

The rack and the dock are burning, which means product will not be able to be loaded off barges/tankers and transferred to trucks.

Oil and derivative prices shot up briefly on fear of supply disruptions - they're back down but dang this does not help things one darn bit. Thank God we're at the end of the heating season...else we would have seen #2 heating oil posted prices in excess of $2.20/gallon.

-WW

DaveS
02-21-2003, 04:05 PM
My whole house shook! It's only like 4 miles away from me.