View Full Version : stripers in fed waters

niko
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
are you not supposed to target them or just no take?

PRBuzz
01-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Both

Roger
01-21-2010, 06:11 PM
are you not supposed to target them or just no take?

Not only can't you fish for them in the EEZ, but you can't even possess them (having caught them elsewhere) with a few exceptions around Montauk/BI/PJ.

numbskull
01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
My assumption is that you can catch them and release them. We fished for years on Rose and Crown doing exactly that, and often saw charter boats doing the same......at least when we were near them.

angler229
01-21-2010, 09:37 PM
You are not suppose to target them in the EEZ. Though, if you're not keeping them there really is little anyone can do, as you just have to say you're trying to catch bluefish and these darn bass keep getting in the way.

Mike P
01-22-2010, 12:44 AM
You are not suppose to target them in the EEZ. Though, if you're not keeping them there really is little anyone can do, as you just have to say you're trying to catch bluefish and these darn bass keep getting in the way.

What do you think the Coasties would say if you were dropping eels on mono leaders overboard, and landed 20 bass in a row, and you tried to tell them that you were "targeting bluefish"? ;)

They ain't stupid, ya know.

niko
01-22-2010, 06:25 AM
What do you think the Coasties would say if you were dropping eels on mono leaders overboard, and landed 20 bass in a row, and you tried to tell them that you were "targeting bluefish"? ;)

They ain't stupid, ya know.

i don't think the average coastie would have a clue as far as eels/mono

Crafty Angler
01-22-2010, 07:40 AM
i don't think the average coastie would have a clue as far as eels/mono

I don't know that I'd want to bet my boat on that

PRBuzz
01-22-2010, 07:59 AM
I guess we are lucky the 3 Mile Federal water line doesn't strictly follow the coastline. The whole of CCB is open based on the chart that I have delineating the boundary. I bolded the line on this chart.

fish4striper
01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Not suppose to target them. One day on the bank, we were bailing 30-40lbers trolling 4-5kts. If you catch them by mistake, release them immediately. I've heard guys on the bank get in trouble just for pulling them in the boat and taking a picture with them before releasing.

MakoMike
01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
My assumption is that you can catch them and release them. We fished for years on Rose and Crown doing exactly that, and often saw charter boats doing the same......at least when we were near them.

Your assumption is wrong. Just ask all the guys that got tickets down at the sub buoy off Block the last two years. And that included plenty of charter boats.

niko
01-22-2010, 03:06 PM
not trying to diss the coasties. thank god for them. just saying the only thing they are ever interested in my boat is safety equipment and paperwork.

JohnnyD
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
not trying to diss the coasties. thank god for them. just saying the only thing they are ever interested in my boat is safety equipment and paperwork.

They are definitely needed, but always seem to show up as soon as the bite gets good. Nothing more painful than being over the school with fish splashing on the surface and everyone catching fish but you.

sokinwet
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
In 40 yrs. of running a boat in the Haba area I have never been checked by the CG....my neighbor however who runs around shirtless, thinks his boat only runs @ full throttle and has cup holders rather than rod holders on his boat gets checked every year.

PRBuzz
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
I get checked by the CG at least 2X per year!!! That's for the 2 years I've had my boat. Only when EPO is bumming a ride with the CG or on their own patrol do they care about my catch.

CowHunter
01-23-2010, 11:04 AM
It is illegal to target striped bass in federal water, includes catch and release.....
Nowhere on the Striper coast is there such total disregard of the EEZ as in Virginia / North Carolina. I dont think people have any idea the damage being done by the poaching down south. The Charter Boats down there break the law every single day and brag about it. It is a shame. The entire biomass is concentrated down there in different schools, guys are running well beyond three miles, most 2 trips a day. If you guys just see the fish that are caught illegally and come in every day...

Report from VA beach last sat:

[ edited by John R - one can easily believe that list is people actually poaching where we have no proof if it is or not - I'll add some comments later in this thread]

These were poached in one day... This is just from a handfull of boats at the VA fishing center. A small percentage that even report their catch...

Ill say it agian, more big fish down there are killed in the winter than the Northeast in a decade, easy...

Guess we keep Blaming the Mass Com Guys ;-)

CowHunter
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I did hear that the Coast Guard nabbed 20 plus boats in one day this past week... Boys were at it the very next day. Heard they were Max Fines too.... Agian Thats second hand info, wish they would post it somewhere online. Charter Captains brag about it down there. Fished a tourney 2 weeks ago and the fish moved over the line the second day, only 8 fish were caught. Should of saw the Charter Guys loads that came in that Poached....

Nebe
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
How do you know for sure that they were caught in the eez cowhunter?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

CowHunter
01-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Because there were no fish inshore 3 miles..... There are guys that do fish legit and have a problem with those that dont... Some of us do network...

But hey, dont take my word for it, only commercials are responsible for any wrong doing....

jmac
01-23-2010, 12:09 PM
....also, rumor (like I said, rumor) has it that a group of charter captains have a pool (rumor has it that each guy puts in a $100), and when the CG goes after one of them in the EEZ, the others high tail it out of there while the CG does there thing to the nabbed boat....then the boat that got busted takes the pool money to pay the fine. I believe they replenish the pool on a weekly basis......like I said, that's what the local rumor grapevine reported by guys who have fished in tournaments down there....

Nebe
01-23-2010, 12:13 PM
That's %$%$%$%$ed up.. :(
cowhunter, I totally believe you.

Nebe
01-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Isnt one of the top charter boats down there called "poacher"? Sad.

Mr. Sandman
01-23-2010, 12:40 PM
call the CG every time you see something like that. Put them on speed dial. It is YOUR responsibility to turn in something illegal when you witness it. Not hearsay but witness it. Take a few photos, email them to the CG. The fact that no one calls is part of the problem. It is time to clean this crap up.

Last spring, Draggers pounding hard right off close off the beach "for squid" and the call went out from beach goers...the CG sent a plane, got their #'s, the boats took off and there nabbed back in Pt. Jude and Montauk. One was stopped heading back to RI...guess what he had on board...it wasn't squid. Lic's were lost.

Swimmer
01-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I was told the EPO's who do have jurisdiction in all state waters did a number on charter boats in the EEZ also. State waters extend to the 200 mile limit does it not.

Swimmer
01-23-2010, 06:14 PM
....also, rumor (like I said, rumor) has it that a group of charter captains have a pool (rumor has it that each guy puts in a $100), and when the CG goes after one of them in the EEZ, the others high tail it out of there while the CG does there thing to the nabbed boat....then the boat that got busted takes the pool money to pay the fine. I believe they replenish the pool on a weekly basis......like I said, that's what the local rumor grapevine reported by guys who have fished in tournaments down there....

About the one guy who stays while the others screw. Some of those others were hunted down last year with the coasties chasing them quite a distance.

01-24-2010, 08:48 AM
It is illegal to target striped bass in federal water, includes catch and release.....
Nowhere on the Striper coast is there such total disregard of the EEZ as in Virginia / North Carolina. I dont think people have any idea the damage being done by the poaching down south. The Charter Boats down there break the law every single day and brag about it. It is a shame. The entire biomass is concentrated down there in different schools, guys are running well beyond three miles, most 2 trips a day. If you guys just see the fish that are caught illegally and come in every day. The thurs before last I heard there were well over 100 boats fishing this area, some from Va and some from NC.

Report from VA beach last sat:

57 lb Striper caught by Dean Winstead of Chester, VA
54 lb Striper caught by Jennifer Cash of Virginia Beach, VA
52 lb Striper caught by Ray Pennell of Renton, NC
52 lb Striper caught by Adam Lehnert of Glen Allen, VA
50 lb Striper caught by Randy F. Berrier of Winston-Salem, NC
50 lb Striper caught by Jeffrey Mason of Manassas, VA
47 lb Striper caught by John E. Beland of Stafford, VA
46 lb Striper caught by Ken Sigler of Stafford, VA
45 lb Striper caught by Adam Lehnert of Glen Allen, VA
42 lb Striper caught by Richard D. Rheutan Jr. of Henrico, VA
41 lb Striper caught by Hames H. Bayles III of Sutherland, VA
40 lb 1 oz Striper caught by Franlin G. Goodwyn of Richmond, VA on the Sea Witch
40 lb Striper caught by Corey of Appomattox, VA

These were poached in one day... This is just from a handfull of boats at the VA fishing center. A small percentage that even report their catch...

Ill say it agian, more big fish down there are killed in the winter than the Northeast in a decade, easy...

Guess we keep Blaming the Mass Com Guys ;-)

You are 100% correct. Word for the past two weeks has been the fish are 6-8 miles off the beach, clearly outside the 3-mile limit. Virtually every Charter boat fished this area, most of the charters here are 50-70' boat so they are very easy to spot. CG did a couple flyovers which scared off the recreational boats but the Charters remained and were bragging about it with wink wink nod nod to each other. Several fish in the high 50s and low 60s were brought to the docks. Fishing enforcement here is a joke especially if you have a commercial license or a Charter boat.

CowHunter
01-24-2010, 09:40 AM
People that never fished down there have to understand how you can run the nearly 100 miles from Rudy to Oregon Inlet and the sea is completely dead within the three miles, not a speck of life.... Offshore it is totally different story with all the bodies of fish, they are easy to find by either the incredible bird activity for miles or by the bait readings. The Poaching is so bad there, I cant believe that nobody is really making a stink about it. The Cptains and Mates Brag about it, they dont think the federal line applies to them. Guess they can make a run at it, 30, 50, 60 80 + boats, they cant get em all'... They run out an 1 hour or so, make 1,2,3,4,5 passes, get their limit, and turn around and head home. Done in less than an hour fishing at times, then turn around and get round 2. This is strictly meat fishing dragging 32-40+ oz jigs with tuna gear.. I wouldnt have a problem with these fish if they were caught legally.. They are not... There are a few boards where guys started to make a stink this year. Dont get me wrong, there were a few years when those fish stayed within 3 miles, not this year, nor last. The EEZ is one of the only thing that is really protecting the Striped Bass Stock. Just plain wrong what they are doing down there...

Below: From another Board....

The message below was sent to me from a friend that fished in Virginia 2 weeks ago. This is just sickening. Coincidentally, I was supposed to go on this trip but had to bail due to work obligations. I'm not posting this to bash the entire Virginia fishing fleet, as I'm sure there are some honest captains and mates. I'm just giving everyone a heads-up to make sure when you book a trip down there, to make certain you speak with the captain before you leave the dock:

We were celebrating our catches while eating lunch, heading back to the dock with our limit before 12:00. Suddenly we found ourselves in a situation in which the mate and captain were telling us that we were way out past the 3 mile limit. They were thinking about dumping the catch because their spotters notified them that the marine police were on the way out. Moments later a marine police unit was on top of our boat. It was about to prepare to board us when one of the boats next to us began tossing their fish overboard. The cops left our boat and went directly to that boat and boarded it. Our captain steamed away and when we where about two miles away, we watched in disbelief as the mate gutted out our fish and tossed them over board.

At least 5 other boats from the Virginia Beach fishing center did the same thing. The ones that brought in fish were out there fishing where we were but they got in before the marine police arrived. We were sickened by the entire experience. The Virginia Beach Fishing Center is a fraud. A bunch of cheats. The captain told us it is just what they do, no big deal to them. Up to the point of the senseless waste of fish, we were having a great time

ProfessorM
01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
simply sickening information

CowHunter
01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
People have to understand that the Charter Boats down there will sail every day even if they Know the fish are well past 3 miles. Its not like the rest of the Northeast where you can still catch fish Inshore of 3 miles at any given time, maybe not the big bodies of fish. Water temp and Bait dictate where those fish go, they have stayed offshore for the majority of the winter... Is it any different than 1 or 2 guys going out and poaching 20 fish in our area? The fish are not caught legally..

Why do you think they are trying to get the EEZ open to 12 miles down there???

MAKAI
01-24-2010, 10:17 AM
You will never take greed out of humanity.
It 's a survival mechanism genetically built into us.
Real shame, an honor less society.
The root of most problems for mankind.
We don't deserve what we have.
Gaia will get rid of us soon enough.

Where did I park my starship ?

intrepid24
01-24-2010, 11:48 AM
You are 100% correct. Word for the past two weeks has been the fish are 6-8 miles off the beach, clearly outside the 3-mile limit. Virtually every Charter boat fished this area, most of the charters here are 50-70' boat so they are very easy to spot. CG did a couple flyovers which scared off the recreational boats but the Charters remained and were bragging about it with wink wink nod nod to each other. Several fish in the high 50s and low 60s were brought to the docks. Fishing enforcement here is a joke especially if you have a commercial license or a Charter boat.

yikes !!!! thanks for shedding some light on the big picture.

Fly Rod
01-24-2010, 12:06 PM
I was told the EPO's who do have jurisdiction in all state waters did a number on charter boats in the EEZ also. State waters extend to the 200 mile limit does it not.

State waters only goes 3 miles. There are areas where it could run 5-6 miles out.

The enviromental police(the state) cut a deal a few years back with NOAA to police beyond the 3 mile limit and they also did this with the coast guard, coast guard was always in a rescue mode prior to 9/11. NOAA had no way to patrol the coast or federal waters on their own.

01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Want to voice your concerns:
NC Division of Marine Fisheries:
Director's Office: Via E-mail: Catherine.Blum@ncdenr.gov
Marine Patrol OBX-Va-line email: Donovan.Twyne@ncdenr.gov

big jay
01-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Not suppose to target them. One day on the bank, we were bailing 30-40lbers trolling 4-5kts. If you catch them by mistake, release them immediately. I've heard guys on the bank get in trouble just for pulling them in the boat and taking a picture with them before releasing.

Kinda blows the hell out of that low and slow stuff in the magazines....

animal
01-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah,we got bass to 32 lbs trolling between 5-6 knots on a spreader bar with 13 inch squids.:wall:

JFigliuolo
01-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Odd... you would THINK that someone in law enforcement would do something about this, if they were a fisherman also...

Sea Dangles
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
tournaments in that area now require a gps on board and operating all day which clerly indicates they fished inside the eez.If you don't have one, they let you borrow one.

Sea Flat
01-25-2010, 11:25 AM
No joke, this thread is making me sick to my stomach. For the most part, all of the fishermen that I know really respect the fishery and this even includes some charter captains that I know. When I hear about people that are so short-sighted as the charter captains down south it makes me angry and disgusted. A simple law change is all that it would take to change everything down there. Severe penalties like a loss of license or boating privileges, maybe a substantial monetary fine in the 5 figure column would make the risk not worth the reward.

CowHunter
01-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Odd... you would THINK that someone in law enforcement would do something about this, if they were a fisherman also...

There is no control over this down there... What DO YOU SUGGEST BE DONE???? Maybe the fishing brings to much business to the Virginia Beach Economy Down there in the winter time..... There are debates on this topic on other boards. The best thing to do is equip boats with GPS Systems, at whos cost, and why exclude anyone up and down the coast rec, charter, comm? I know it has been mentioned up on the Cape about 2 years ago. Maybe Severe Zero Tolerance Fines.... People are not stupid, Think its pretty common knowledge that the fish have not been inside 3 miles down there in two weeks... Lots and Lots of Poached Fish, Guess we will see less up north this year! I have not seen a single soulution mentioned anywhere..... Nor is any group taking Action, Why is StripersForever not taking action.... I am most certain they are most aware of what is going on down there. Imagine if they rallied for a real cause, a blatant abuse, Harvesting Striped Bass from an area that is closed and supposed to protect the stock...

CowHunter
01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
tournaments in that area now require a gps on board and operating all day which clerly indicates they fished inside the eez.If you don't have one, they let you borrow one.

That was for the midatlantic Rockfish tourney, that was the first time its ever been done. The big brawls last year between guys fishing legit and guys that werent was the cause... Got real Ugly from Day 1... Wonder why the Participation is only a third of last year this year?

intrepid24
01-25-2010, 01:54 PM

i know, i see no reason he shouldn't get all charles bronson on them guys......break out his service revolver and make things right.
this is actually all his fault, now that i think about it, he must not care enough to even shed any light on the subject at all.

MakoMike
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I heard from a reliable source that several of the charter boats that got ticketed for fishing at the sub buoy were fined $2,500. That, to me, is a pretty hefty fine.

JFigliuolo
01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
There is no control over this down there... What DO YOU SUGGEST BE DONE???? Maybe the fishing brings to much business to the Virginia Beach Economy Down there in the winter time..... There are debates on this topic on other boards. The best thing to do is equip boats with GPS Systems, at whos cost, and why exclude anyone up and down the coast rec, charter, comm? I know it has been mentioned up on the Cape about 2 years ago. Maybe Severe Zero Tolerance Fines.... People are not stupid, Think its pretty common knowledge that the fish have not been inside 3 miles down there in two weeks... Lots and Lots of Poached Fish, Guess we will see less up north this year! I have not seen a single soulution mentioned anywhere..... Nor is any group taking Action, Why is StripersForever not taking action.... I am most certain they are most aware of what is going on down there. Imagine if they rallied for a real cause, a blatant abuse, Harvesting Striped Bass from an area that is closed and supposed to protect the stock...

So are you saying that people drop the dime on these guys and nothing is done? OR people just B&^%$ that nothing is done?

Both suck, one just due to laziness.

Jorge
01-25-2010, 04:01 PM
I heard from a reliable source that several of the charter boats that got ticketed for fishing at the sub buoy were fined $2,500. That, to me, is a pretty hefty fine.

For my pocketbook it is also pretty hefty. But consider that they may get caught once a year but can get $1200.00 plus a day for 9-10 months a year, makes one think the fine is pretty low. It should cost them a weeks income anyway. Or $2500 plus no fishing for a week.

CowHunter
01-25-2010, 04:15 PM
From Another Board:

Found this post on a Chesapeake Bay forum. My son is fishing tomorrow on a Va Bch charter. It will be interesting to see what he has to say.
Misbehaving Recs (and some Coms)

I thought about this for a while before posting. The longer I thought about it, the more I felt that it needed to be said.

Two Saturday's ago, I was off the VA and NC coast fishing for striper. We set the radar cursor on a 3nm distance, perpendicular to our southward movement. We ran just inside the 3nm limit all the way from VA Beach down to Corolla NC.

It was a beautiful day...almost a sheet of glass. Water temps were 36 deg when I passed the CBBT and they got warmer as I moved south. When I hit 40 deg water, I started seeing some bait and marks.

All the way down, we saw a lot of boats out about 3.5nm to 5nm from shore (I +put the radar cursor on them to check the distance). I was out 3nm and they were out another 1.5nm to 2nm.

Ran into the fleet just a bit south of Corolla. About 10 boats were inside the 3nm line, while it looked like about 150 were scattered from the line all the way out to about 5nm. I checked the radar cursor again to make sure I didn't make a mistake. Then I used the chart/radar overlay to see if I got the same distance on the chart. Both readings showed me at 2.985nm from shore (0.015 seems to be width of a pixel on my screen).

It simply blew me away to see such a large number of clearly illegal fishing going on. Yea, yea, I know...they were "targeting blue fish." If you believe that I have a bridge in AZ to sell. There were a few charters in the mix outside the line, but the majority were recs.

We talk conservation, but I guess far too many of us believe that conservation is for the "other guy," not us.

Guys...we have absolutely nothing to say about the commercial fishery, if we are going to be so flagrant about violating the fishing laws ourselves. We complain about the declining numbers of big stripers. We complain about Omega scooping up all the forage fish. We complain about the netters. But we had better start looking after our own misbehavior before we blame the "other guy" for the problem. I believe we [recs] are a big part of the problem. Based on what I saw two weeks ago, no one will convince me different.

I can kick myself for not having a pen and paper on board to write down boat names and hull registration numbers and calling them into the Coast Guard. Yesterday I bought a small whiteboard and dry-eraser pens to keep on board. From here on out, I won't leave home without it and the phone numbers of the MD, VA, and NC authorities. You can bet your sweet bippy that I plan to report them.

My $0.02

CowHunter
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Im in no way Bi#$%ing, just shedding some light as to where there is a huge problem.... At least many can open their eyes and see whats going on.

CowHunter
01-25-2010, 04:26 PM
So are you saying that people drop the dime on these guys and nothing is done? OR people just B&^%$ that nothing is done?

Both suck, one just due to laziness.

Yeah, Id like to see what you would do, 5 boats fishing legally and 150 boats fishing illegally.... There was a guy running around out of Brooklyn, NY. Theres a hell of a black market in NY, NJ... Makes some of the Northern Brothern look like amatures... Anyway, he was running around reporting these guys, wasnt long before he found his nice regulator sunk in the slip... Some guys got hit with a few hundred dollar fines, and he was out well over 100K, no boat for the season....

CowHunter
01-25-2010, 04:29 PM

If that was steep those guys wouldnt be doing it... For what? No fish inside 3 miles???

JohnnyD
01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah, Id like to see what you would do, 5 boats fishing legally and 150 boats fishing illegally.... There was a guy running around out of Brooklyn, NY. Theres a hell of a black market in NY, NJ... Makes some of the Northern Brothern look like amatures... Anyway, he was running around reporting these guys, wasnt long before he found his nice regulator sunk in the slip... Some guys got hit with a few hundred dollar fines, and he was out well over 100K, no boat for the season....

Reports can be made without making your name apparent. I'm willing to bet he was also quite vocal about what he was doing.

MAKAI
01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
The federales can't do a helicopter flyover video. Too easy to bag a bunch if motivated. One in a million target bluefish. Use logic if that even exist anymore.
A few years ago at scorton ledge, must have been 50 battle wagons and disco boats jigging up piles of nice fish, we were at the edge drifting live eels, of course the EPO board us first. Find nothing wrong, after small talk fishing and patriots,they get an emergency call and scram. Meanwhile the rest of the boats had dumped their coolers because it wasn't a com day or they were over the limit. Water was littered with belly up bass.
One would be a fool not to think that this is normal fishing practice for the majority of jerks that fish. If we can't police ourselves, someone else will do it for us. And I don't think we will like that dance.

We have met the enemy and he is us.

01-25-2010, 06:11 PM

I have an idea how about if a charter is caught fishing in this area and it is obvious the law was broken they loose there captains license for 1-year automatic. That might slow them down a bit. Many of these captains get paid a hefty salary to run and maintain these boats, very few of the larger boats are owner operated, most are tax write offs for the mega rich. Who else could afford to run boats that cost millions.

Sea Dangles
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
That was for the midatlantic Rockfish tourney, that was the first time its ever been done. The big brawls last year between guys fishing legit and guys that werent was the cause... Got real Ugly from Day 1... Wonder why the Participation is only a third of last year this year?

Yeah,oh well less prize money.A lot less. At least this way participants were allowed to compete on a level playing field. Although a very cold one(except a drunken RJ). I consider this to be a model which others may want to follow.
I 'm not convinced this discouraged participation, maybe for some locals. Let's face it, when you see the amount of entries in ASA sites compared with a few years back it is evident that the economy is a big factor and will continue to be. Great fishery down there at VA beach but the rednecks are going to kill it for rockfish. White marlin seem safe though, banner year.Amberjacks,tuna,tilefish....Last year we had a hammerhead turn on a bait not too far out,12'+ would have been fun!

Sea Dangles
01-25-2010, 07:06 PM
During this time of year, a dumpster is filled with bass racks every day at the Rudee Inlet,PIGS I tell you.Laziest,easiest fishing imaginable.

MAKAI
01-25-2010, 07:12 PM
During this time of year, a dumpster is filled with bass racks every day at the Rudee Inlet,PIGS I tell you.Laziest,easiest fishing imaginable.

What would you expect when your Uncle is your Dad.:tooth:

trapperpierre
01-25-2010, 08:42 PM
......terrible the large breeding fish can't take a winter break along the mid Atlantic(resting/feeding before the return to spawning locus)....menhaden, mackerel, scup, butterfish, squid, being hammered.-no break for them either...coastal waters/spawning/nursery areas being defiled by poop from people/agricultural meat production....add to the mix non-point runoff of fertilizers/herbicides.............nasty.........what I need now is break from this depressive reporting(true though)........I like the fishing girls on 179 logo.......nice

JohnnyD
01-25-2010, 09:07 PM
......terrible the large breeding fish can't take a winter break along the mid Atlantic(resting/feeding before the return to spawning locus)....menhaden, mackerel, scup, butterfish, squid, being hammered.-no break for them either...

While I agree, I'm sure many of them could say the same about us - just replace "winter" with summer.

trapperpierre
01-25-2010, 09:20 PM
..what I have heard is the mid-atlantic winter concentration(s) of fish is a suicidal mass(es) of fish...90% outside the 3-miles...

JFigliuolo
01-26-2010, 08:51 AM

Nice, I guess we a a society should always turn a blind eye for fear of retribution. Interesting, most law enforcement I know of encourage community involvement...

MakoMike
01-26-2010, 08:56 AM
$2,500 is a substantial fine for most of these charter boats. I'd venture to say that none of them are sailing everyday, and even if they are charging $1200 a day (which is really waaay up at the high end of the range) they certainly aren't making anywhere near that much.

CowHunter
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Nice, I guess we a a society should always turn a blind eye for fear of retribution. Interesting, most law enforcement I know of encourage community involvement...

Nobody ever said that... You obviously have absolutley no idea what some people in law enforcement go through regarding retribution...

JFigliuolo
01-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Nobody ever said that... You obviously have absolutley no idea what some people in law enforcement go through regarding retribution...

That we can agree on.

JohnnyD
01-26-2010, 09:28 PM

It's becoming very apparent that you are the only person that has any idea about anything.

CowHunter
01-26-2010, 11:04 PM
It's becoming very apparent that you are the only person that has any idea about anything.

Some people like to bring in my personal life into topics. It's becoming very apparant that you have smart remarks to everything.

Blitzseeker
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
I say call'em all in, but you best believe you better be ready for the outcome unless you are being very careful about it.

A few of the guys I fish regularly with on the Cape grew up in the Carolinas and are OBX surf regulars. I've been hearing the stories for years of how fishing disputes get resolved down there, and it isn't with a pleasant conversation where people agree to disagree. If those folks thing you've done then wrong, then they are going to find a way to wreck your boat/truck/gear, and are not above taking a potshot at you to make their point.

JohnnyD
01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I say call'em all in, but you best believe you better be ready for the outcome unless you are being very careful about it.

A few of the guys I fish regularly with on the Cape grew up in the Carolinas and are OBX surf regulars. I've been hearing the stories for years of how fishing disputes get resolved down there, and it isn't with a pleasant conversation where people agree to disagree. If those folks thing you've done then wrong, then they are going to find a way to wreck your boat/truck/gear, and are not above taking a potshot at you to make their point.

The south has always been a little behind. Yee-hawww.:smash:

PRBuzz
02-04-2010, 08:51 AM
From another board, fishing report NC:

Striped Bass fishing is hot on the Outer Banks of NC. We caught over 50 fish on Monday from 30-45lbs.

(I am not part of "we")

WoodyCT
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
All these females being lost from the spawning stock biomass will be the nail in the coffin for the bass.

There is absolutely no way any of those poached fish are figured into ASMFC mortality rate statistics.

Hence, ASMFC's stock assessments and forecasts are completely useless for any purpose other than wasting paper.

If you don't make your voice heard in protest of this horrific waste, or ASMFC's innacurate assessments and forcasts, then you have no right to complain when the stocks collapse,

which is exactly what will happen if the coastwide status quo continues.

WoodyCT
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Drafted this and will be sending it to the NC and VA marine fisheries departments, not to mention anyone else I can think of.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Open Letter to the North Carolina Department of Marine Fisheries, 2/4/10

The regal striped bass has already once been saved from the brink of total stock collapse, but sadly it appears that North Carolina has already forgotten that page of U.S. fisheries history.

The rampant poaching of over-wintering striped bass from the EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone) off the Mid-Atlantic MUST be addressed IMMEDIATELY to stop the wonton destruction of the coast-wide spawning stock biomass.

None of these poached fish are accounted for in mortality statistics, thus the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commissions assessment of the health and future viability of the striped bass spawning stock biomass is a complete farce.

North Carolina does not own these fish, but it is responsible for its citizens who fish for them. ENFORCE THE LAW!

Rest assured that I will not be spending my vacation dollars in North Carolina.

Jonathan Woodman

PS Below are a sampling of posts recently made on Striped-Bass.com. NONE PAINT A PRETTY PICTURE OF YOUR STATE OR ITS NEIGHBORS!

Nowhere on the Striper coast is there such total disregard of the EEZ as in Virginia / North Carolina. I don’t think people have any idea the damage being done by the poaching down south. The Charter Boats down there break the law every single day and brag about it. It is a shame. The entire biomass is concentrated down there in different schools, guys are running well beyond three miles, most 2 trips a day. If you guys just see the fish that are caught illegally and come in every day...
Report from VA Beach last sat:

[ edited by John R - one can easily believe that list is people actually poaching where we have no proof if it is or not - I'll add some comments later in this thread]

These were poached in one day... This is just from a handful of boats at the VA fishing center. A small percentage that even report their catch...
----------------------
I did hear that the Coast Guard nabbed 20 plus boats in one day this past week... Boys were at it the very next day. Heard they were max fines too.... Again- that’s second hand info, wish they would post it somewhere online. Charter Captains brag about it down there. Fished a tourney 2 weeks ago and the fish moved over the line the second day, only 8 fish were caught. Should of saw the Charter Guys loads that came in that were poached....

Rumor has it that a group of charter captains have a pool (rumor has it that each guy puts in a $100), and when the CG goes after one of them in the EEZ, the others high tail it out of there while the CG does there thing to the nabbed boat....then the boat that got busted takes the pool money to pay the fine. I believe they replenish the pool on a weekly basis......like I said, that's what the local rumor grapevine reported by guys who have fished in tournaments down there....

We were celebrating our catches while eating lunch, heading back to the dock with our limit before 12:00. Suddenly we found ourselves in a situation in which the mate and captain were telling us that we were way out past the 3 mile limit. They were thinking about dumping the catch because their spotters notified them that the marine police were on the way out. Moments later a marine police unit was on top of our boat. It was about to prepare to board us when one of the boats next to us began tossing their fish overboard. The cops left our boat and went directly to that boat and boarded it. Our captain steamed away and when we where about two miles away, we watched in disbelief as the mate gutted out our fish and tossed them over board.

At least 5 other boats from the Virginia Beach fishing center did the same thing. The ones that brought in fish were out there fishing where we were but they got in before the marine police arrived. We were sickened by the entire experience. The Virginia Beach Fishing Center is a fraud. A bunch of cheats. The captain told us it is just what they do, no big deal to them. Up to the point of the senseless waste of fish, we were having a great time.

People have to understand that the charter boats down there will sail every day even if they know the fish are well past 3 miles. Its not like the rest of the Northeast where you can still catch fish inshore of 3 miles at any given time, maybe not the big bodies of fish. Water temp and bait dictate where those fish go, they have stayed offshore for the majority of the winter. Why do you think they are trying to get the EEZ open to 12 miles down there???

There is no control over this down there... What DO YOU SUGGEST BE DONE???? Maybe the fishing brings too much business to the Virginia Beach Economy Down there in the winter time..... There are debates on this topic on other boards. The best thing to do is equip boats with GPS Systems, at who’s cost, and why exclude anyone up and down the coast rec, charter, or commercial? I know it has been mentioned up on the Cape about 2 years ago. Maybe Severe Zero Tolerance Fines.... People are not stupid, Think its pretty common knowledge that the fish have not been inside 3 miles down there in two weeks... Lots and Lots of Poached Fish, Guess we will see less up north this year!

JohnR
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
I have not been following this thread for a while but now I'll need to keep in the loop.

I edited out the names / towns in that list as this is not reliable enough to be presented as fact here. I'm not a lawyer or law enforcement so I don't know where the line can get crossed so I'm erring on the side of caution.

Ken, I don't doubt your skills or values in bringing that info up to post. My point is that is hard, maybe even irresponsbile, for us in a non "offical" capacity to bring those names on the site.

If this list was generated by a law enforcement office in an offical capacity, we could run with the alleged poachers. If this was generated by an official media outlet say the local paper or TV station, we could reference that.

Woody: While I am with you and support your comments, I removed the names for the reasons listed above and I ask you to do the same. At this point these are comments / hearsay / He Said She Said and probably don't live up to the level of acceptable evidence to bring forth...

If they are a poaching, I really DO hope they are nailed for it.

We've had times in the past where people's names have been brought up second and third hand and usually need to go an edit them. This is one of those cases.

Zeno
02-04-2010, 04:41 PM
$2,500 is a substantial fine for most of these charter boats. I'd venture to say that none of them are sailing everyday, and even if they are charging $1200 a day (which is really waaay up at the high end of the range) they certainly aren't making anywhere near that much.
i have to disagree
If this was the fine because you had a 27 inch instead of 28inch bass then ,yes, its a big fine
but if you are KNOWINGLY fishing in protected waters you should be jailed and your boat should be sunk on the spot

JohnR
02-04-2010, 04:43 PM
your boat should be sunk on the spot

Or your rock if that's your platform of a choice :tooth: though marginally more challenging. Oh, no rocks in the EEZ, ner'mind

Zeno
02-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I am sorry John, maybe where I grew up and the fact we lived in fear from cops has something to do with. When cops picked you up you could be gone for a year or two and no one would know what prison you were...granted I never want to go back to that...but knowingly poach on daily basis? I got nothing against boat guys, If I could afford one, I'd have one
I know this will seem harsh to some because after all, you cant equate people with "stupid" fish
but think about it
Someone harass your daughter and it’s a fine or jail.....you might think its excessive
does that give that someone a right to rape her too because you are away and no one will do anything about it? Because that’s what they are doing, raping the resource, right under our noses AND bragging about it
So yeah, sink their boats..... human greed has no limits. Sad thing is its all done by recreational community. We are our own worst enemies

JohnR
02-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I am sorry John, maybe where I grew up and the fact we lived in fear from cops has something to do with. When cops picked you up you could be gone for a year or two and no one would know what prison you were...granted I never want to go back to that...but knowingly poach on daily basis? I got nothing against boat guys, If I could afford one, I'd have one
I know this will seem harsh to some because after all, you cant equate people with "stupid" fish
but think about it
Someone harass your daughter and it’s a fine or jail.....you might think its excessive
does that give that someone a right to rape her too because you are away and no one will do anything about it? Because that’s what they are doing, raping the resource, right under our noses AND bragging about it
So yeah, sink their boats..... human greed has no limits. Sad thing is its all done by recreational community. We are our own worst enemies

Don't be sorry. I didn't live where you did but I did do a few trips in East Germany in the mid 80s so while I haven't lived repression, I've seen it.

I'm all for harsh penalties, enforced, comm or rec. Throw the book, take the boat (or truck). I'm OK with it.

WoodyCT
02-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Check it out.

Virginia Beach Fishing Center (http://www.virginiafishing.com/default.htm)

JohnnyD
02-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Check it out.

Virginia Beach Fishing Center (http://www.virginiafishing.com/default.htm)

What looks like almost 200 bass killed on Feb. 1 by the pictures. Look at the bellies on those fish.

UserRemoved1
02-05-2010, 07:46 AM
I took the time to email to the addresses that 179 provided (thanks) DID YOU?

It has come to my and many others attention that there is a large amount of poaching going on off the coast of NC and VA in Federal waters/Exclusive Economic Zone. There seems to be no enforcement of the fishing regulations while these people are removing hundreds if not thousands of pre-spawning female striped bass (rockfish) from the biomass. It has been noted by a number of individuals that these poachers are actually running a weekly pool if caught the pool goes to whomever is stopped and fined. This is disgusting and would like to voice my displeasure at these actions.

It is my and many others views that this fishery is in trouble for a number of reasons, including the daily take limits that are passed by some states in excess. This fishery collapsed some years ago and it's going to happen again if something isn't done about it.

Some things for you to look at:

Virginia Beach Fishing Center (http://www.virginiafishing.com/default.htm) I would invite you to scroll through their daily catches..knowing that many people have said in recent weeks that there have been no fish located inshore..that the main biomass of fish is located offshore and has been proven by charts and radar plots.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/stripertalk/61706-stripers-fed-waters.html

The slaughter of big stripers not only continues but its kicking in high gear !!! :: Surfcaster's Journal Blog (http://surfcastersjournal.com/blog/?p=1421&cpage=1#comment-2777)

Can someone step up to the plate here and do something? This is going to have a major effect on the future of this fishery.. and it's a shame to sit idly by and let it happen. Your state as well as others has a very large stake in the future of these fish. Tourism, etc will all be affected. I plan to have a discussion with the American Sportfishing Association and the marine fisheries council people on this subject also, but urge you to stop this wanton recklessness.

Sincerely,

Scott R Bullock
Owner
Salty's Wooden Lures
36 Deanna Dr
Uxbridge Ma 01569

Also cut n pasted off the VA fishing site....

"*STRIPER REGULATIONS POLL*

Currently there is a possible proposition to allow an extension along the Virginia territorial water limit from 3 miles out (from the coast line) to 12 miles out (from the coast line) during Striper season. This would allow catches of Striped Bass to be legal within 12 miles of the coast line.

This has not been passed yet, however this information will be shown when the meeting is held to aide in their decision of extending or not extending the territorial limit.

The current Atlantic Ocean limit in Virginia is 2 Striper per person, each fish must be 28″ or over, and all fish must be caught within the 3 mile limit from the Virginia coast line. Please choose which option you agree with.

*NOTE*
This poll has nothing to do with increasing the size or the bag limit of Striper. This is only for extending the VA Territorial water limit from 3 miles to 12 miles.

PLEASE CHOOSE ONE:

Make the changes to the territorial limit. Change the regulations. 2 fish per person,
28″ +, and up to 12 miles off the beach.

Keep the regulations as they are.
No change is required. 2 fish per person,
28″ +, and within 3 miles off the beach."

Va Marine Resources contact: John.Bull@mrc.virginia.gov

VMRC Contact Information (http://www.mrc.state.va.us/staffdirectory.shtm)

Doublerunner
02-05-2010, 08:34 AM
I don't think a few letters is going to do much more than make us feel better. I'd think that a thousand person or more demonstration at the NC and/or VA state house would bring a lot of media attention...

JohnnyD
02-05-2010, 10:07 AM
There is one way to get people to act *and* get people outraged - try to get news coverage of what's going on down there. Fox loves stories where the government isn't enforcing the law and it's costing taxpayers money.

There's nothing quite like a reporter looking for their next big break to get their head poking around and doing investigations.

Mr. Sandman
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I think the only way to get anyone motivated is a complete coast-wide shutdown. Letters, meetings, protests will not and have not worked that great and are short lived at the best. Shut it down across the board, then and only then will you get real change...and in the meantime while we are deciding what to do the fish will be protected. Shut it down across the board. No take for anyone anywhere anytime. There is no talking to fisheries persons anymore, they clearly have no foresight.

PRBuzz
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
People from the North trying to write to VA/NC isn't going to get very much sympathy. The ears you need are the Representatives/Senators from ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, and even NJ. It is a Federal law being violated. Extending the 3 mi to 12 mi limit will also require Federal approval.

Anyone know if the Jr Senator from MA is aware of this issue and where he might stand? 2.5 years passes quickly and there seems to be a number of votes on this site that lean Brown's way.

Crafty Angler
02-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't think a few letters is going to do much more than make us feel better. I'd think that a thousand person or more demonstration at the NC and/or VA state house would bring a lot of media attention...

There is one way to get people to act *and* get people outraged - try to get news coverage of what's going on down there. Fox loves stories where the government isn't enforcing the law and it's costing taxpayers money.

There's nothing quite like a reporter looking for their next big break to get their head poking around and doing investigations.

BINGO!

Media attention and a bright light shining on the abuses could be extremely effective if you can find someone to pick it up and run with it nationally

Investigative reporting is the way to go to bring it to the attention of John Q Public - if memory serves, doesn't Brian Williams, the NBC news anchor, occasionally fish for bass on the Block?

Maybe he's the guy you want to shoot emails to...:think:

MakoMike
02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
All this protest at what is going on in NV and Va is all well and good. But you guys should also look in your own backyard. This stuff goes on all summer long right off Block Island. Sure they don't catch the same amount of fish as the guys down south report catching. But it seems a little bit like the pot calling the kettle black.
There are few of us RI charter boats that stay out of the EEZ, but there are loads of boats that fish in the EEZ day after day, if thats where the fish are. Private boats are usually fishing right alongside of them. Both types of boats from RI and from Montauk.

JohnnyD
02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
All this protest at what is going on in NV and Va is all well and good. But you guys should also look in your own backyard. This stuff goes on all summer long right off Block Island. Sure they don't catch the same amount of fish as the guys down south report catching. But it seems a little bit like the pot calling the kettle black.
There are few of us RI charter boats that stay out of the EEZ, but there are loads of boats that fish in the EEZ day after day, if thats where the fish are. Private boats are usually fishing right alongside of them. Both types of boats from RI and from Montauk.

All the more reason to drop the dime on people. Enough phone calls and outrage and someone is bound to act on it. Then, when the crooked bastards get fined to death or get a bad reputation, all the better for the legitimate charter boats.

UserRemoved1
02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding striped bass harvest occurring off the coast of North Carolina.

State jurisdiction extends out to three miles offshore in the Atlantic Ocean and federal jurisdiction runs from three to 200 miles offshore. This includes the federal area of jurisdiction, the Exclusive Economic Zone or the EEZ. The striped bass harvest you discuss is occurring in the EEZ, and falls under the jurisdiction of the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).

Please know we take fishery resource violations seriously and work closely with management partners at the local, state and federal levels. We have forwarded your inquiry to NMFS law enforcement. If you would like to contact NMFS directly regarding this matter, please contact NMFS Enforcement Agent Joe Wilson at joe.wilson@noaa.gov

THERE IS THE GUY TO COMPLAIN TO.

MakoMike
02-05-2010, 04:15 PM
If you want to see some "official Reaction" to the problem read the minutes of the ASMFC board that I just posted,

JohnR
02-05-2010, 06:26 PM
If you want to see some "official Reaction" to the problem read the minutes of the ASMFC board that I just posted,

Yeh :wall: