View Full Version : Hook Hangers ...

Tagger
01-22-2010, 01:46 PM
You can't use a hook larger than a 3/0 vmc in the new Moore's large hook hanger .. and thats pushing it ... I ran into problems before reproducing Jerry Sylvesters jointed plug that orig. took 5/0 thin wire hooks .. Flap had a 50 yr. old box of hooks and gave me 2 .. made all the differance in the world .. New hooks are too fat and heavy ..

Tagger
01-22-2010, 01:47 PM
:fury::biglaugh:

Rockfish9
01-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I ran into a simular problem with a Russo Flap tail I made a few years back.... but I also had a box of old long shank Mustad trebles I used for the show version... the latter ones were through wired or i used an epoxy pocket...

saltydog
01-23-2010, 11:34 AM
I just got an order in of the large ones an they seem no bigger then the regular size, the screws are the same size but just longer:fury: am I missing somethiing:fury:or should they be BIGGER? Ive been using MUSTADS, an gete a ( little ) more room for SWING.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN

BILLC
01-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Tagger, is that plug on the right a Jamiso(spelling)? Looks like a cool one to build.:)

Tagger
01-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Tagger, is that plug on the right a Jamiso(spelling)? Looks like a cool one to build.:)

Fishmaster Jerry Sylvesters ,,, Jointed Plug ...

Fishmaster (http://www.shorelinebt.com/id13.html)

Don't bother repoducing it unless you have access to the old thin wire hooks ,,5/0 ... The new ones don't look right and make the plug swim like a turd .. I was lucky Flap hooked me up with old hooks (forgot the name of them).. I did solve my hanger problem .. Looking at a Jerry Sylvester today .. The hangers he had look so easy to make ..

Grapenuts
01-24-2010, 08:06 AM
try eagle claw/ seaguard finish....alot of these older plugs used musky hooks...it all started in freshwater long before they started fishing in salt.

Tagger
01-24-2010, 08:15 AM
I just got an order in of the large ones an they seem no bigger then the regular size,

No they are definately 2 sizes .. I was told to make them a little bigger . Screw them to a dowel , locked in a vice, and work an awl or phillips screw driver underneath ,,. Work the hump .. Not sure how the finish will hold up .. May just make my own out of stainless sheet metal .. .

Charleston
01-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Place the hook hanger on the plug to get an exact location. Then make a slight dent in the wood to help make clearance for the diameter of the hook wire.