View Full Version : Lighting strikes

Mr. Sandman
01-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Last summer I met a fellow who was visiting on my dock. He had an well made expensive boat. I noticed a black mark on the cabin as asked him about it. He said the boat was struck by lighting in the water at the dock. His boat was about 38' or so and he was surrounded by 60'ers with all kind of towers and riggers and he was one of the lower boats in at the dock. None the less it hit his boat WHILE HE WAS ON IT! It struck a tiny antenna mounted on the side of the cabin top (when there were higher antennas all around it) and it went thru and into the cabin. He said there was a ball of light so bright he couldn't see and the bang was so loud it knocked him down. He was unhurt. To top it off he told me this was the 2nd time that lighting has hit his boat. This is a new boat, less than a year old. (I think it was a teira ) anyway, he said it fried everything, engine computers, every electrical thing on the boat was fried, AC and DC, the expense was huge and insurance covered it (both times). Although they had a hard time beliving him the second time and came down to inspect it but came way saying the only thing that could have done this was a bolt of lighting. Nothing worked, nothing. He said everything was done to protect the boat all properly grounded and still everything was cooked.

I have never done a thing but the thought has crossed my mind esp when I have been out offshore and have seen lighting strike the water and I am not that far away.
What do you think is the best way to handle this? Beyond grounding what else can one do besides pray?
I suppose it is more of a problem with sailboats but then again that giant metal pole can be easily grounded making it a direct shot thereby protecting the boat. But power boats are more of a problem I think.

LT. DAN 2
01-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Between two fully outfitted 60 footers and happening twice!!!!!!!!
I think you got the right idea....I'd say the man upstairs is talking to him but he may not be listening!!

quick decision
01-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I think you play the odds and make sure you are properly insured.

Fly Rod
01-24-2010, 11:47 AM
If you have an open boat or center console you could rig a metal pole about 3/4" - 1" in diameter. You would have to jerry rig(adapt) a rod holder to the outside of the gunnel. Also the pole would have to be the highest point of anything else on the boat, it would be in a verticle position and it would have to extend about a foot below the water. You need to experiment because you may need two guide lines,one going to the bow and one going to the stern. The guide line should not be of conductive material.

Make it portable so that on a good day it lays along the sidewall of the boat and if caught in an electrical storm you can put it in place in minutes.

MakoMike
01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
They sell lightning protection systems for boats. I have the name of a guy somewhere who is an expert on this subject, he contacted me after I wrote a short piece about lightning in one of my fishing reports for Nor'east saltwater. Truth is I just needed some filler to make word count so I "talked" a little bit about lightning, and the guy e-mailed me at the magazine. If you are really interested I can see if I can find his name.

quick decision
01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
They sell lightning protection systems for boats. I have the name of a guy somewhere who is an expert on this subject, he contacted me after I wrote a short piece about lightning in one of my fishing reports for Nor'east saltwater. Truth is I just needed some filler to make word count so I "talked" a little bit about lightning, and the guy e-mailed me at the magazine. If you are really interested I can see if I can find his name.

I wonder what makes you an expert on being hit by lighting. Sounds like Sandmands friend who got hit twice should be an expert by now.

Mr. Sandman
01-26-2010, 08:20 AM
LOL!

The black scar on this guys boat was impressive. He said the first time he was out on open water the second time he was at the dock (onboard) surrounded but larger sportfishermen.

To listen to him talk about it was reminds me of the guy from the movie "The Great Outdoors" describe being hit by lighting 66 times.:biglaugh:
Bartender: He's been struck by lightning... how many times has it been now, Reg?
Reg: S-s-s-s-s-s-s-six...
Chet (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001006/): Six times?
Reg: S-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-six-sixty-sixty-six times. In-n-n-n-n-n-n-In-n-n-n-n-n-n-In-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n the head!

MakoMike
01-26-2010, 08:57 AM
I wonder what makes you an expert on being hit by lighting. Sounds like Sandmands friend who got hit twice should be an expert by now.

Go back and read what I wrote. I never claimed to be an expert on lightning.

Fly Rod
01-26-2010, 01:13 PM
What happened to Ben Franklin when he was flying his kite with the key attached in a lightning storm?

Mr. Sandman
01-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Go back and read what I wrote. I never claimed to be an expert on lightning.

I think QD's comment was general in nature and not directed at you. (although as it is written it appears it was, that is a problem with Internet postings)

quick decision
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
:uhuh:I think QD's comment was general in nature and not directed at you. (although as it is written it appears it was, that is a problem with Internet postings)