View Full Version : Prototype #2-Masterlure(modified) jointed eel #1

Back Beach
01-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks to Numbskull, I was able to put this one together very quickly. It swam exactly as advertised on my first try....I nearly jumped into the water myself and took a swipe at it...I was very excited at what I saw to say the least.....

Anyways, I used Numby's specs for the smaller jointed masterlure, but I did the plug in birch(like the original) and I used a turned down Atom 40 body. I simply put an Atom 40 body on my duplicator and set the diameter at 7/8".

End result is the plug has a more tapered tail section than the masterlure, but its 7 1/4" overall with a lefty 2 mid slot lip. I didn't add any weight as the plug is 2.125 oz and I want to keep it under 2.250 once its sealed. Armed with 2/0 vmc's and just a flag tail, this thing is really impressive....hopefully I won't trash it during the next several steps...stay tuned..

It sits in the water in an inverted "V" shape and totally slithers through the water just under the surface with very little retrieve speed. I did the testing with a conventional reel and like Numby stated earlier, the plug slithers but is definitely not a rough or fast water lure....as you speed up the retrieve, the plug begins to roll, but it functions perfectly at what its designed for...(surf fishing flat water w/wind at my back).

ProfessorM
01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
again very nice job. G. gave me one he made a couple years ago and I agree it is a great plug and out of the tin boat in calmer conditions in the shallows it swims very nice.

Tagger
01-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Hey Mike ... word of advise ,, get a notebook and if you stumble across a winner write it all down .. Suks year later cutting your own plugs up to see how you did something ..

Slipknot
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
wow you're cooking with gas now

angler229
01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Very nice start Mike. I'm just finishing up a big batch of masterlure type eels I did for a swap on the other site, they are one of my favorite plugs.

numbskull
01-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Shiit! I talk too much. :smash:

Back Beach
01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Shiit! I talk too much. :smash:

You got your due credit on the design part so quit belly aching...there's still plenty of steps remaining that may derail my operation,send me into a tail spin, and cause me to purchase an even larger eel tank for next season. Until then, please, please, please gloat away....

Back Beach
01-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Suks year later cutting your own plugs up to see how you did something ..

or even worse, my limited musso collection...:hang:

JFigliuolo
01-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Having Numby as your plug building mentor is tantamount to having Warren Buffet giving you stock tips. I'm jealous.

Back Beach
01-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Having Numby as your plug building mentor is tantamount to having Warren Buffet giving you stock tips. I'm jealous.

True, but the down side is I may have to fish with him next year...:uhoh:

BigFish
01-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi Mike! Your doing some nice work! Just wanted to post a pic of how I weight my jointed eels! Shot of 00 buckshot 3/4" from each end as shown! Sits nice and flat in the water at rest and the equal weight giives it an amazing slithering action.....swims down about 3-4 feet and more in current!:uhuh:

Back Beach
01-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Hi Mike! Your doing some nice work! Just wanted to post a pic of how I weight my jointed eels! Shot of 00 buckshot 3/4" from each end as shown! Sits nice and flat in the water at rest and the equal weight giives it an amazing slithering action.....swims down about 3-4 feet and more in current!:uhuh:

Thanks for the input, Larry. What does a 00 buckshot weigh?

Also, what's the body diameter on your jointed?