View Full Version : Booger sized Danny..

Rockfish9
01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
they are actualy trollers, I made these for a friend to fish for tuna, I did make a few top water models, but they must be fished too slow for tuna... the deep runners are perfect at 4-5 Knots..( they already have caught rooster fish with them in Mexico)Body is birch and weighted to near nuetral boyancy, Powered by Salty's gorrila lip, and wired with 1/8 hard 304 ( wrapped at the nose loop for added strength) the 5/0 VMC hooks are hung on 800lb Kroc swivels and a 7/0 VMC brings up the rear...the plug is 10" and weighs just about 8 ounces..

also are some 7" Pinkney style sand eels, powered by the Left top slot, I did well under a bright September full moon with the gold/white ones... and caught quitre a few fish with the striped one day break when the bass were bashing spike Macks...

saltydog
01-26-2010, 09:46 AM
just BEAUTIFUL that striped :drool::drool::drool:
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:uhuh:

JFigliuolo
01-26-2010, 09:56 AM
beautifull work.

numbskull
01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Impeccable.

ProfessorM
01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Joe you are a production machine. Beauties all of them.

Back Beach
01-26-2010, 10:28 AM
they are actualy trollers, I made these for a friend to fish for tuna, I did make a few top water models, but they must be fished too slow for tuna... the deep runners are perfect at 4-5 Knots..( they already have caught rooster fish with them in Mexico)Body is birch and weighted to near nuetral boyancy, Powered by Salty's gorrila lip, and wired with 1/8 hard 304 ( wrapped at the nose loop for added strength) the 5/0 VMC hooks are hung on 800lb Kroc swivels and a 7/0 VMC brings up the rear...the plug is 10" and weighs just about 8 ounces..

also are some 7" Pinkney style sand eels, powered by the Left top slot, I did well under a bright September full moon with the gold/white ones... and caught quitre a few fish with the striped one day break when the bass were bashing spike Macks...

Those are superb. What kind of wood are the pichney style plugs built out of?

Backbeach Jake
01-26-2010, 10:30 AM
My word...beautiful

johnny ducketts
01-26-2010, 10:34 AM
can I be one of your friends ? :)

Rockfish9
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Those are superb. What kind of wood are the pichney style plugs built out of?

heart wood WRC.. it has a little tighter grain than the the sap wood.. it's just about all I use..

Here is a sample of a few more goodies I just finished.. I've got a ton more to paint tonight...

eastendlu
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Dam Joe you are a plug building machine.They all look great but that Nike has a big smudge on its side.:biglaugh:

Charleston
01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Dam Joe you are a plug building machine.They all look great but that Nike has a big smudge on its side.:biglaugh:

Well, there goes the Yankees plug you wanted. Smudge my arse :smash:

eastendlu
01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Well, there goes the Yankees plug you wanted. Smudge my arse :smash:

LOL Bill :rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

VTBasser
01-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Sweet work!

:want::want::want::want::want:

Karl F
01-26-2010, 05:57 PM
googled perfection ... and this popped up..
:D
Top shelf as per usual Joe...
Sweet work, and paint.
:btu:

JFigliuolo
01-26-2010, 06:55 PM
That's it. I'm going down to the basement and setting fire to my shop.

Backbeach Jake
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Sweet work!

:want::want::want::want::want:

Took the words right outa my mouth...

saltydog
01-27-2010, 11:08 AM
CANT WAIT :drool::drool:to FONDEL them at plug fest:uhuh::uhuh:
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:cheers:

ProfessorM
01-27-2010, 11:53 AM
I need to hire Joe to finish my stuff. I'm in that dreaded time line of total procrastination, aka the Chumbucket period, or doing too many things and getting nutin done, aka the PM stage. God I wish just once I could start something and complete it, yeah right.

Help me Mr. Wizard

Rockfish9
01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I need to hire Joe to finish my stuff. I'm in that dreaded time line of total procrastination, aka the Chumbucket period, or doing too many things and getting nutin done, aka the PM stage. God I wish just once I could start something and complete it, yeah right.

Help me Mr. Wizard

LMAO... I need to finish a bunch of traditional darters, some more nikes and asorted other plugs i am making for plug fest... I've got base coats on them.. I just need to stop fondeling my ice fishing gear and get to it... after this weekend( Winni derby). it will be all geared towards plugfest....paul your welcome to come over and have a painting/epoxy party next week end...it goes pretty fast with the system I have set up..

Rockfish9
01-27-2010, 12:07 PM

funny you should say that Lou... I spilled some super glue on the bench and got it on my thumb... that plug now has my DNA on one side...

angler229
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Outstanding!

Tagger
01-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Lots of good info there for me ... Joe A friend just asked me to make CCB type Giant jointed Pike .. he wants to fish for tuna .. Now you got me think ...Can you fish that plug at 5 or 6 knots ?
1/8 304 hard ,,, got it ... 800 lb. krok ,,, cool ... what about hooks .. VMC standard 4x ,,, 6x,,,? or something eles ..

Rockfish9
01-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Lots of good info there for me ... Joe A friend just asked me to make CCB type Giant jointed Pike .. he wants to fish for tuna .. Now you got me think ...Can you fish that plug at 5 or 6 knots ?
1/8 304 hard ,,, got it ... 800 lb. krok ,,, cool ... what about hooks .. VMC standard 4x ,,, 6x,,,? or something eles ..

Hi Eddie... I fish those jointed giants ALOT... and your right.. they are slow crawlers.. NG for tuna speed.... I used the 4X 5/0 VMC.. and i havent heard that they were an Issue... Dan told me in a Text message ( which I hate) that he changed out the rear hook ( 7/0 VMC siwash) for a larger one.. something that those guy's use all the time, so I dont know if the hook was an issue or he did it because " that is what they do"... it took me 10 minutes to text "dont f' up the action of my plug by screwing with it!" I'll hear rthe whole story when those guy's get back....

Tagger
01-28-2010, 08:08 AM
trolling plugs .. arse weighted ?,, like the old wood 40 troller ?

Rockfish9
01-28-2010, 10:59 AM
trolling plugs .. arse weighted ?,, like the old wood 40 troller ?

not these.... I wanted a rapid/nervous fish action, so they have a HUGE slug of lead forward of center.... the angle of the head controls the dive and roll...

RIROCKHOUND
01-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Switch out the dual trebles for a big single for the belly and tail hook.

much better for tuna than trebles!

Rockfish9
01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Switch out the dual trebles for a big single for the belly and tail hook.

much better for tuna than trebles!

only problem with that is I'll have to re configure the plug., trebles make a much more stable plug..... I've had good luck with the trebles...... it's just tough getting them out of the jaws of a 100lb tuna that has a vice grip like jaw hold on the plug..I do some times cut off the welded tine with out adversly effecting the plug..