View Full Version : legend surf rods

robc22
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could I get some feed back on these rods please? I'm talking the two 10'6" models....3/4-4 oz plugging and the 2-6 oz jigging rod. Are they worth the money? Is the plugging rod a 100 yard rod with 30 braid and the right plug? Because they have low rider guides do I have to use a smaller reel with a smaller diameter spool? and if so, wouldn't that cut down my distance? so are these rods a catch 22 when it comes to reaching 100 yards with a plug? All casting is snap(thump) casting.......thanks in advance for any help :)

robc22

Saltheart
01-31-2010, 08:32 PM
I moved this to the main board since its not a rodbuilding thread you will get more chance of an answere on the main board.

Mr. Sandman
01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't own one but have tried one. I know two guys that have them and they both absolutely love them. (their favorite by a long shot)
Personally I like it alot. It casts like a mother and the warranty is better then anything Lamiglass offers. (trust me on this one)
The hard thing to swallow is the cost. You are in the 400 range and approaching a very decent custom made rod. It is a tough call for a comm. made rod.

Lets put it this way, for a commercially made rod, I don't think this would be a mistake to buy this. I have several other St. Croix's and love them . The legend is a little different and the eyes are small. This rod must be fished with braid and a kick ass reel. Hooked up that way, distance will not be comprised with the small guides. Your looking at a high end set up.

robc22
01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Much thanks for the input......what would you consider a "kick-ass" reel?

thanks
robc

Mr. Sandman
02-01-2010, 07:24 AM
That is a highly personal item and depends on the way you fish and your budget. That said, I would choose a contemporary reel specifically made for braid, forget mono, that rod can not cast mono very well.

I would go to the RI tackle show and check out the rod, it will be there as well as all the reels worthy of being mounted on it. I bet the manufacture would have a couple of suggestions.

OH, A good friend asked me what I thought about that rod a few months ago...FWIW, he decided to have made a custom rod, made from a Lamiglass Super Surf blank . I am not sure what reel he is going with though.

Good luck

Back Beach
02-01-2010, 09:08 AM
......what would you consider a "kick-ass" reel?

thanks
robc

Saltiga "Z" hands down.

Sea Dangles
02-01-2010, 10:27 AM
shimano stella 8000
van staal 200
daiwa 4500 z
in that order

Back Beach
02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
shimano stella 8000
van staal 200
daiwa 4500 z
in that order

He said "kick ass"....your order is backwards....:wavey:

Sea Dangles
02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
no doubt saltiga is a fine boat reel for the money.

Doublerunner
02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I have the legend surf 9' paired with a shimano stella 5000sw.
Love it. Use braid with it

I also just got a ZeeBaaS this winter and am gonna try that on it as well