View Full Version : pencil style weight

new jack
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
does the name say it all? never heard of this style weight. Is it just another name for the common tail weight? or is a solid length of lead?

thanks for any insight.

p.s. I did do a search before this thread, just could not find any answer.

Slipknot
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
what? you never heard of pencil style weight?
did you see it written someplace and wonder what it is? why do you ask? I'm confused
Are you talking about pencil lead?
do you mean the pencil popper tailweight?
or are you just wondering if there is such a term for pencil style weight?

new jack
02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
bruce,

I am building a plug from an old diagram. The diagram indicates the use of a pencil weight inserted in two different locations. I am unfamiliar with the term "pencil weight" I have just never heard anybody use the word before. Is it just a regular tail weight that you would use in a plug such as a pencil?

Slipknot
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
ya
lead slug with the center hole for the thru wire I'd imagine

some plugs like the mureels used a 3/16" diameter lead a few inches long put in the front part of the back half, and were placed under the thru wire therefore didn't need a hole down thru it.

you can buy pencil lead in a roll that has a hole in it but it is for fishing line not big enough for stainless wire we use, maybe your diagram refers to the weight as that.

You are over thinking it maybe

just go by what it says and I bet it will work out as long as there is some idea of dimensions.

new jack
02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
some plugs like the mureels used a 3/16" diameter lead a few inches long put in the front part of the back half, and were placed under the thru wire therefore didn't need a hole down thru it

bruce.

thats what i figured, just wanted to be sure thats all. the name does say it all.

pbadad
02-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I use the 1/4" rolled solder lead for weighting my Wadd needles. I put the lead piece under the wire hole in another drill hole.

new jack
02-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I use the 1/4" rolled solder lead for weighting my Wadd needles. I put the lead piece under the wire hole in another drill hole.

thank you.
I think that will do the trick.:uhuh: Will have to the hardware store tomorrow!!!

Slipknot
02-01-2010, 10:23 PM
thank you.
I think that will do the trick.:uhuh: Will have to the hardware store tomorrow!!!

if you need some lead, I have plenty
come by I should be here in shop all week

new jack
02-01-2010, 10:54 PM
thanks bruce