View Full Version : Temperature of air coming through airbrush

Eric Roach
02-03-2010, 06:27 PM
I have a 135 PSI compressor in my unheated garage. I ran a line from it through the wall into my woodshop in the basement. If I were to use this for air-brushing (assuming I controlled the tank pressure and installed a water trap), would it be a problem that the air was so cold? Would I have to have a secondary pressure tank in the shop to allow the air to be closer to room temp' before spraying?

Slipknot
02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
warmer is better when you use stuff like createx

numbskull
02-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Compression heats gases I believe.

BigFish
02-03-2010, 10:02 PM
I keep my pancake compressor (135 psi also) in my unheated bulkhead and run the hose in the door. Never a problem! I think Numbscull is correct!:uhuh:

GattaFish
02-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Compressing gasses,,, Pressure and temp increase while velocity decreases.

Expanding gasses,,, Velocity increases while Pressure and temp decrease..

JFigliuolo
02-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Compressing gasses,,, Pressure and temp increase while velocity decreases.

Expanding gasses,,, Velocity increases while Pressure and temp decrease..

Pressure will increase the temp at the tank. However, that heat will dissipate some, so when the air decompresses, it will in effect, be cooler than it was originally. Assuming the tank is not in a hot environment. Does it matter? Damned if I know.

Slipknot
02-04-2010, 08:52 AM
the air that comes out of my 80 gallon tank is cold and my shop is heated to usually 65 or so

eastendlu
02-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Compression heats gases I believe.

Only when i eat a burrito.:biglaugh:

Rockfish9
02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm surprised none of the machinist have chimed in of this.... when air passes through a vortex, it becomes very cold, even to the point of freezing... hence air is used in some machining applications where coolant or oil will contaminate a part....

all that said, the volume of air and moisture content of the air being used is more signifigant than the actual tempeture, goiong form cold to warm may create a problem with line condesation.... if your using acrylics, most air brushes do nicely with 30 PSI, I spray metalics at 40 and my primer thorugh an automotive type gun at 60 PSI, my compressor is a 27 gallon oiless unit... buy quality regulators to avoid pressure drops, complete with moisture traps, and filter your air, more than likely you will have no issues...

ProfessorM
02-04-2010, 09:49 AM
LOL. we got a few of those air pressure, coolant things and they get covered in ice after a while inside the shop. They work real good but my neck of the shop doesn't get to use them. We use oil and wear it home most days. Greasy friggin trade.

eastendlu
02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
LOL. we got a few of those air pressure, coolant things and they get covered in ice after a while inside the shop. They work real good but my neck of the shop doesn't get to use them. We use oil and wear it home most days. Greasy friggin trade.

Nothing beats the smell of coolant on you clothes.:smash:I built a little venturi air cooling system that i use on the bridgeport every once in a blue moon but most of the time a can of coolant and acid brush is all it takes.

Rockfish9
02-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Nothing beats the smell of coolant on you clothes.:smash:I built a little venturi air cooling system that i use on the bridgeport every once in a blue moon but most of the time a can of coolant and acid brush is all it takes.

still smells better than lard oil or International compound 2826..

ProfessorM
02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
butter cut and soluble oil in a spray bottle are my weapons of coolant and lubricity, but sometimes when I am lazy I just do it dry and throw away the end mill when i'm done.:smash:

eastendlu
02-04-2010, 04:37 PM
butter cut and soluble oil in a spray bottle are my weapons of coolant and lubricity, but sometimes when I am lazy I just do it dry and throw away the end mill when i'm done.:smash:

Paul you are killing me!!!!!:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

Slipknot
02-04-2010, 05:28 PM
you sure you guys aren't using Udder Cream for coolant?:smash:

Eric Roach
02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Thank you, gents'.

eastendlu
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
you sure you guys aren't using Udder Cream for coolant?:smash:

Nahhh my nipples are hard just from looking at Taggers flaptails.:rotf2: