View Full Version : got some stuff done

Diggin Jiggin
02-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Here's the slant headed stuff I've been working on. These are all from soft maple. The one piece ones are 3 oz and are kind of a cross between a swimmer and a darter, the jointed ones are a little heavier and swim subsurface.

Diggin Jiggin
02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
And here's some swimmers I've been working on. George thanks for the dimensions. I ended up doinga lot of tweaking on these.

The smaller 6" ones are maple. I only wanted one belly hook which then gave me a plug with too much roll so I ended up switching the lips to danny 2. These should go subsurface but I'll have to do some testing of the finished version.

In the picture with the seniors. The top is white cedar prototype, I really like the way that one came out although while testing I liked the basswood better so thats the only cedar one..

The yellow/silver stripe and parrot one are basswood. First time working with basswood and I got a little too aggressive with the chisels/sandpaper on these 2 so they are slimmer than the seniors should be and I switched them to use heavy danny 2 lip that I use on my fat danny's...

The silver backed one and the bottom herring jointed are both maple.

ProfessorM
02-07-2010, 09:16 AM
all very nicely done. like the slant headed ones. like your mack paint job too

BigFish
02-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Those look great DJ! I love the jointed's!:drool:

Diggin Jiggin
02-07-2010, 09:49 AM
I suck at wiring jointeds. When I try to do the tail loop on the front section I always end up scraping the paint.

the greek
02-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey DJ great looking stuff. I just pulled this one off the spinner yesterday. Looks like you beat me to it. I also hate wiring jointeds. No matter how careful you are something gets messed up.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac167/alphabaits/festivus011.jpg

numbskull
02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Looking good, Dave.

Thought you might be interested to see this. It is a plug Steve gave me @1987. Handshaped.

Tagger
02-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Great stuff Dave as always ... pointy head swimmers are cool ..

angler229
02-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Very cool plugs, looking forward to checking them out at plugfest.

Diggin Jiggin
02-07-2010, 02:27 PM
George thanks for digging that one up, and to the greek, your jointed is sweet too.

The more we do this the more I realize we're not really going to come up with something new.. When I started messing with darters last year, on my first set I did not taper the nose of the plug and I ended up with some that were more swimmers than darters. But thats not necessarily a bad thing, and with the lip in line with the body that shape casts very well...

Looking at darters & the romans really got me thinking about in line lips where the lips just an extension of the body and in line with the body of the plug. I think there's a lot you can do with it...

There are so many subtle variations,from the height of the line tie, the angle and length of the slope, body shape & width s

justinhill
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey DJ great looking stuff. I just pulled this one off the spinner yesterday. Looks like you beat me to it. I also hate wiring jointeds. No matter how careful you are something gets messed up.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac167/alphabaits/festivus011.jpg

why dont you just wire them up then paint them, thats what i do. then you get the patern in line with the way the lure hangs. unless its just for show?

JFigliuolo
02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
nice work! Your right, a TON can be done on lipless swimmers. Although losing the lip you lose a tuning variable...