View Full Version : Popponesset Beach

fishnmaine
02-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Hello all,

Ok I'm heading to Popponesset Beach this summer around the 4th of July.....never fished cape cod area before....I only striperfish in Maine....I guess my question is how is this beach for striper fishing?
and what is the favorite bait for this area.....My traditional baits here is eels and chunk macs.....and for artificial lures is slugo's and plugs.....Waters in the cape are warmer, so I thought there might be a different approach ....any suggestions would be great.

Marc

JohnR
02-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Hello all,

Ok I'm heading to Popponesset Beach this summer around the 4th of July.....never fished cape cod area before....I only striperfish in Maine....I guess my question is how is this beach for striper fishing?
and what is the favorite bait for this area.....My traditional baits here is eels and chunk macs.....and for artificial lures is slugo's and plugs.....Waters in the cape are warmer, so I thought there might be a different approach ....any suggestions would be great.

Marc

Mark - yes, bring your gear. Yes, all those will / can work. Fish should be in the vicinity then but have been know to move :tooth:

tynan19
02-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Find the faster current at the end of the spit and drift eels.

Slipknot
02-11-2010, 08:46 PM
by then the water is warmer, I'd say go at night

robc22
02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
good spring spot but by july it's pretty warm......think bluefish and maybe schoolie's........

surfcrazy1
02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
last yr blues pretty heavy late june early july. beach only acessable after beach hrs, still a lot of beachers until sunset. best to wait until dusk and walk down to jetty on left. had one guy who did pretty good there last season. but like slip said water is warm. if u can find place to park in poppenesset[without getting towed] the spit there is usually very productive. get ahold of jeff at forestdale bait and tackle, he's up on that beach area.
:fishin:

Green Light
02-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Watch out for the fireworks! :-)
My initial thought is pre-sunrise.

fishgolf
02-11-2010, 10:32 PM
lots of boat traffic...even at night. Incoming before midnite. Outgoing just before dawn...

gone fishin
02-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Bloooooos!:fishin:

stiff tip
02-12-2010, 07:08 AM
july...suck....the water to warm for bass...maybe blues. fish nights..u got to fish the outer beachs nights or the cc canal nights or early am. is your best bet.... i think ? i pm u with all the poop ????? trust me? i live in town.....

Sea Flat
02-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Like others have said I would think that the water will be just too warm to get a lot of stripers unless you luck out in the early morning or late night.

It is not the far of a drive to the canal or to other north facing beaches if you want a better chance at 'em.

Green Light
02-12-2010, 10:09 PM
How can you be on the cape and not make a few cast into the canal? It's like going to Dunking Donuts and not getting coffee. ;-).

robc22
02-13-2010, 03:12 AM
How can you be on the cape and not make a few cast into the canal? It's like going to Dunking Donuts and not getting coffee. ;-).

Every one wants a shot at a canal caught fish :fishin:

surfcrazy1
02-13-2010, 07:35 AM
or pay homage to the canal gods

fishnmaine
02-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Blues are always a nuisance when the water is warm.. I was afraid of that being in the cape......In Maine not so bad every year is different.
I will be renting a house on that beach so parking wont be an issue.
Where is Forestdale bait and Tackle? And everybody thanks for your response

last yr blues pretty heavy late june early july. beach only acessable after beach hrs, still a lot of beachers until sunset. best to wait until dusk and walk down to jetty on left. had one guy who did pretty good there last season. but like slip said water is warm. if u can find place to park in poppenesset[without getting towed] the spit there is usually very productive. get ahold of jeff at forestdale bait and tackle, he's up on that beach area.

robc22
02-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Blues are always a nuisance when the water is warm.. I was afraid of that being in the cape......In Maine not so bad every year is different.
I will be renting a house on that beach so parking wont be an issue.
Where is Forestdale bait and Tackle? And everybody thanks for your response

It is off rt 130 in sandwich, the old s. sandwich post office.........Very nice people......

forestdale bait and tackle - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS262US268&q=forestdale+bait+and+tackle)