View Full Version : 'Splain This??????

flyvice11787
02-09-2010, 02:20 PM
I was at an Islanders game over the weekend where they were playing the Carolina Hurricanes, and saw the Hartford Whalers booster club there. What's it been, 12 years??? Are they hoping that the team moves back? I don't get it. Can anybody explain this to me? I understand the nostalgia and all, but to still make road trips to support a team that's been gone that long?

Swimmer
02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I was at an Islanders game over the weekend where they were playing the Carolina Hurricanes, and saw the Hartford Whalers booster club there. What's it been, 12 years??? Are they hoping that the team moves back? I don't get it. Can anybody explain this to me? I understand the nostalgia and all, but to still make road trips to support a team that's been gone that long?

Aren't the Whalers, or rather weren't they a farm club of the Boston Bruins? Maybe they are checking out ice rental availability for the B's down there because Boston area fans are sure sick of the Bruins.

Mike P
02-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Aren't the Whalers, or rather weren't they a farm club of the Boston Bruins? Maybe they are checking out ice rental availability for the B's down there because Boston area fans are sure sick of the Bruins.

Nope. The Whalers were one of the original World Hockey Association (WHA) teams when the rival league was formed--I think the inaugural season was 1973-1974, or possible 1972-1973. They were originally the New England Whalers and played their home games at the Garden. After a few years they moved to Hartford and became the Hartford Whalers, and were one of the WHA teams absorbed into the NHL when the WHA folded.

The Iceman 6
02-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Long live the Whale!

MarshCappa
02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
When I lived out in Western Mass in my High School years we used to go to Springfield Indian games and the Whalers. They have an iconic theme song in Brass Bonanza that is pretty funny. My cousin went to Endicott and played football there for 4 years. They used to play it at home games after every score!
It brought back some memories.

YouTube - The Hartford Whalers "Brass Bonanza" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bwZbWZhAaM)

Swimmer
02-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Nope. The Whalers were one of the original World Hockey Association (WHA) teams when the rival league was formed--I think the inaugural season was 1973-1974, or possible 1972-1973. They were originally the New England Whalers and played their home games at the Garden. After a few years they moved to Hartford and became the Hartford Whalers, and were one of the WHA teams absorbed into the NHL when the WHA folded.

My not knowing what Mike posted here shows volume about how much I don't know about hockey.