View Full Version : Dont buy it twice

PNG
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Good tools bad tools lets hear your take on each.

It seems there are alot of new folks here so to save a few bucks and buy it right the first time what is a good tool powered or not and a bad tool.

:btu:Good simple one is channel lock no 338 wire cutter. Used for years with no sign of slowing down

:smash:Good simple bad one is when I first jumped onto this plug foray trying to save a buck which cost more in the end was a harbor freight Piece if $ht lathe

:uhuh:Jet dust collector

The tool could be as simple as norton beltsand paper vs others...

What have you got? I got more...

Backbeach Jake
02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Real Peterson Vice Grips. The knock-offs take two hands to operate. That really bites when you have to release a freshly epoxied plug.

Charleston
02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Knipex cutters, round nose pliers and needle nose. Good hand tools last a life time.

VTBasser
02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
There is something to be said for the warranty on Craftsmen tools. Bust one and Sears will replace it. Blew up a socket drive that was over 30 years old by applying too much torque and they gave me a brand new one - no questions asked. Did the same for an old jig saw where the switch stopped working. Had a lot of miles on that puppy also.

Pete F.
02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
A roll of tie wire, it's the soft iron stuff used to tie rebar together. Cut about 8" pieces, bend a hook on one end, on the other put a soft bend in it. Stickit in the thru wire hole, dip in sealer and let it drip, when the sealer is dry you can hold the plug with it and paint it. I then wire mine and epoxy and hang them from another piece of wire with a hook on each end.
Wooden handscrew, good ones made by Jorgenson. great for all sorts of clamping things and you can clamp your plugs by the tail loop and epoxy them.
A toolrest that is at least 8" for your lathe, so you don't have to move it to turn plugs.

Raven
02-11-2010, 05:42 AM
SCHRADE Tough :point: MULTI tool

11 tools in one... MADE in the USA

Tagger
02-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Klein wire cutters at homies .(electrical dept.). for nipping it tight on tail wraps and just cutting wire .. Have had the same pair 6 years or more. Were like $22 at the time .. Thought they were expensive ,, worth every penny ..

PNG
02-11-2010, 08:21 AM
I hear yah Tagger and thats the point "worth every penny"

DMT sharpeners a must for sharpening the HSS vega cutter

Now some wont agree with this one but I do not like the jet lathe as compared to others(eg delta)

derf
02-11-2010, 08:29 AM
There is something to be said for the warranty on Craftsmen tools. Bust one and Sears will replace it. Blew up a socket drive that was over 30 years old by applying too much torque and they gave me a brand new one - no questions asked. Did the same for an old jig saw where the switch stopped working. Had a lot of miles on that puppy also.

how many years ago was this ??
2 years ago i broke drive , took in in , yup they reached under the counter and handed me a re-built one .. broke it one the first use !!
never again will i but anything with the 'crapsmen' name on it !

BigFish
02-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I have been using the Klein tools from Home Depot since I started building and they are the best! I believe in buying the best regardless of cost as it is always penny wise!

Slipknot
02-11-2010, 08:34 AM
how many years ago was this ??
2 years ago i broke drive , took in in , yup they reached under the counter and handed me a re-built one .. broke it one the first use !!
never again will i but anything with the 'crapsmen' name on it !

I'm with you derf
never again, all crap built in china made NOT to last:smash::wall:

I don't know how they would replace a power tool = jigsaw?:huh: they never replaced a power tool, only hand tools, you must have gotten an uninformed employee or something.

Slipknot
02-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Knipex pliers are top of the line at an affordable price, anything they make will last and is practically unbreakable. :btu:

Rockfish9
02-11-2010, 09:28 AM
When I first started working as a Mechanic in the early 70's, I worked for a very savy gentleman from Ireland...he taught me to buy only the best.. i've got Snap On screw drivers and wrenches that are over 40 years old....they never round a nut or strip a screw... on the otherhand, I've got a "shop" box here at the plant, everyone and his brother is dipping into the till...so I keep it stocked with lesser name screw divers, sockets and wrenches.. all made in china.... I've seen them snap, strip and bend....

as far as Klien tools go.. I've got a few of my electrical tools that have some age on them, my lines man pliars have been to hell and back.. even snipped a few live wires....and are sharp enough to strip 14 ga. wire...I cant say that about the Wal-mart specials I keep on the boat and toss away at the end of the season..

saltydog
02-11-2010, 09:34 AM
I never had any POWER TOOLS outher than a DRILL. if that counts. till last year:smash: I got little 1"wide belt sander from BIG FISH, an just put a new sanding belt on it this week, WOW im IMPRESSED looks like more POWER TOOS to come.:)
GOOD LUCK GOOD LUGGIN

derf
02-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm with you derf
never again, all crap built in china made NOT to last:smash::wall:

I don't know how they would replace a power tool = jigsaw?:huh: they never replaced a power tool, only hand tools, you must have gotten an uninformed employee or something.

duh , if i would proof read before i post :smash:
should have typed 'ratchet wrench'.......
between the fingers not working , and the brain cells just laughing at them :wall:

PNG
02-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Steb centers or super centers, same thing an absolute must to keep your wood where it belongs:hihi: