View Full Version : Modem Sound

Bill L
02-22-2003, 01:46 PM
I just got a new Dell desktop with Windows XP, and can't figure out how to turn off the modem noise-screech when I dial up. It was off on the previous computer, but I can't recall how I did it (I thought it was simply with the speaker mute). I've tried muting the speakers, but doesn't kill the modem. Anybody know how to do this?

StripinLine
02-22-2003, 01:49 PM
try Start, settings, controlpanel, phones and modems, modems, modem. speaker volume off..

regards/ al

Bill L
02-22-2003, 01:55 PM
I had bumbled my way to that dialog box yesterdat, and have the volume slider to off for COM3, but it still makes the noise :smash:

StripinLine
02-22-2003, 02:04 PM
# Click on "Start" and "Control Panel".
# Open "Phone and Modem Options".
# Select the "Modems" tab.
# Select your Modem from the list and then click onto "Properties"
# Click onto the "Advanced" page tab.
# The "Extra Initialization Commands" box is at the bottom of this window. Click onto that box and then type in the command that you want to issue the modem.

L0 - Sets the modem speaker to the lowest volume.

Generally speaking the modem should respond to the command you've typed in on the next time you dial in using your Xtra connection. With some modems you'll need to restart your computer for the change to take affect.

If a modem does not support a given command it will report an error. In Windows this will result in an error: 630 - "The modem is not responding." If this occurs remove the command, restart the computer and power cycle the modem if it is an external modem.

# Click "OK" and "OK".

StripinLine
02-22-2003, 02:08 PM
AT&L0

mabye AT&M0 this might turn off the speaker if your modem will respond to that command...

Bill L
02-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Thanks Stripinline, I printed the instructions and will give it a try; I'll let you know how I make out :D

StripinLine
02-25-2003, 04:13 AM
Did this stuff work for you???

Bill L
02-25-2003, 06:41 AM
No, I still get the modem noise :smash:
I tried the commands LO, AT&LO, AT&MO and still get it. The modem properties indicates modem is on com3, which has the speaker volume down to off. I don't know :confused:
I may call Dell next time I get a couple of free hours

Kram
02-25-2003, 12:36 PM
On the connection screen when u first log onto the internet there should be a setup button. Click it. Click expert, click the tab labled "devices, modems". Highlite the modem u r using, and click "edit". Verify that it shows "comm 3", in case u had more than one modem installed in that machines history, select speaker volume "#^&#^&#^&#^&. Then exit, not close, the setup window, which should return u to the connection screen. Enter p-word and connect. That will stop that anoying noise.

Bill L
02-25-2003, 10:29 PM
Kram, that did it, thanks~