View Full Version : Snell Knot

Nodak
02-17-2010, 07:35 AM
I have been tying up some eel rigs using a 94150 Mustad hooks and a snell knot. This might be a stupid question, but what side of the hook do you prefer to have the line run down, the front or the back. I plan on trying hooking the eels the way "#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&" showed and didn't know if it would make a difference . Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Clammer
02-17-2010, 09:55 AM
{N}
NO WORRIES ... I WILL BE GIVING DEMOSTRATIONS ON ALL THE BASIC KNOTS & SOME NOT SO BASIC @ THE RISA SHOW @ THE CONVENTION CENTER

OR BONDS & NOBLE HAVE THE BOOK I WROTE A FEW YEARS BACK

ITS NAME . CLAMMER,S TRICKS OF THE TRADE :fishin:

Kierran
02-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I have been tying up some eel rigs using a 94150 Mustad hooks and a snell knot. This might be a stupid question, but what side of the hook do you prefer to have the line run down, the front or the back. I plan on trying hooking the eels the way "#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&" showed and didn't know if it would make a difference . Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

I don't think it makes a difference with the hook and line size you will be using, but why not run it down the back, leaving more hook gap open. Nothing like a good octopus hook and a snell knot. Good luck.

Sea Dangles
02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
snell works best on hooks with an offset eye. Go in from the top and run down the back of hook, 4 or 5 wraps and pull tight after moistening.Knot usually ends up inside.

Mike P
02-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Are those the bronze Mustad "live bait" short shanked hooks? If so, I caught hundreds of bass on those hooks over the years, and I never snelled a single one--basic palomar was all I ever used.

I agree with Chris--you only need to snell hooks with an offset eye.

Nodak
02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Those are the ones Mike. I am trying to pay more attention to detail this year and in case that 50 ever comes along. I'm sure the snell doesn't matter that much but I will give it shot.

beamie
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Are those the bronze Mustad "live bait" short shanked hooks? If so, I caught hundreds of bass on those hooks over the years, and I never snelled a single one--basic palomar was all I ever used.

Ditto.......I use these hooks chunking and live lining all the time. Palomer knots and half uni's....

stiff tip
02-17-2010, 03:46 PM

always...kept it simple stupid ....use snell w/ eye up or eye down....

t.orlando
02-17-2010, 05:23 PM
snell works best on hooks with an offset eye. Go in from the top and run down the back of hook, 4 or 5 wraps and pull tight after moistening.Knot usually ends up inside.
Is that before or after you put a few knots in your leader??

MikeToole
02-17-2010, 07:00 PM
For straight shank hooks use a palomar knot.