View Full Version : Anyone had a problem with speeding boats in the canal

Swimmer
02-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Many times in the last several years, mostly during daylight hours, I have seen or been annoyed by boats going to fast fast. By this I mean pleasure craft, not freight carrying, work type vessels, like barges.

Several times I have even watched as two and three boats would go by actually racing, trying to overtake, one another. This occurred during especially heavy traffic on weekends. Sometimes it boggles my mind, and that doesn't take much nowadays, how selfish people are driving their boats through the canal oblivious to what is the appropriate speed.

I am not talking about the one boat that goes by at 4:30 a.m. quick as a rabbit. Because the faster he gets out of the way the sooner a hookup might happen.

And I never see any body told to slow down. I wrote a Paul Gaureau, of the Army Corps of Engineers, and he was very kind to reply. He said many citations are given out every year.

Maybe I am being petty. The following is Mr. Gareau's reply:

In reply to your observation regarding speeding in the Canal, Section 207.20(j) of the regulations states that all vessels are directed to pass mooring and boat basin facilities, the state pier (fish pier), ESCO Terminal and all floating plants engaged in maintenance of the waterway at a minimum speed consistent with safe navigation. A specific speed is not listed which allows the master/operator of a vessel to exercise discretion and determine the best speed based on prevailing conditions. Additionally, the prescribed running times are intended to control the destructive effects of excessive wake and to provide for the safety of all vessels navigating within the waterway.

Every vessel leaves a wake regardless of the speed of advance. I am going to assume that your statement regarding the no wake rule refers to "excessive wake" within the limits of the Canal. This is also subjective and dependent on prevailing conditions. What Traffic Controllers and Patrol Boat Operators are concerned with are vessel wakes that may cause significant bank erosion and are dangerous to other vessels, particularly small recreational vessels.

Over time, large wakes that cause breaking waves on the banks of the Canal erode the sand behind the protective granite rip-rap, which in turn causes the rip-rap to slide down and out of position. When this occurs, significant bank erosion can and will occur, which requires expensive maintenance and repairs.

In addition to the regulation listed above, the Canal Manager is authorized to prescribe rules governing the movement of vessels using the waterway. There are signs posted at several locations throughout the Canal (on the Bourne/Sagamore bridge abutments for example) notifying vessels of a 10 mile-per-hour (8.5 knots) speed limit and minimum wake requirement.

That said, we know that there are vessels that do not adhere to the regulations. I know that it is frustrating for citizens and law abiding boat operators to see those that have no concern for the regulations. Our boat operators are doing the best that they can to get people to comply with the regulations, numerous tickets are written each year. Boat operators also know where (and when) our boats are tied up and generally maintain the proper speed when coming by us.

I thank you for expressing your concern and state that the same laws are still in place and our boat operators and Marine Traffic Controllers still try to enforce them.

Thank you,

Paul Gaudreau

PRBuzz
02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
There is a sign posted 10mph speed limit on the train bridge.

JohnR
02-25-2010, 11:02 AM
When you are doing 10mph with the current you look pretty fast.

PRBuzz
02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
When you are doing 10mph with the current you look pretty fast.

If your speedometer is reading 10mph riding into the full current you are probably going backwards!

FishermanTim
02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
I would be more upset if they were doing so 20-30feet from shore, but it does boggle the mind that these speed demons do this.
I only wish they would get caught at least once to see what happens when they do get caught. $$=bye-bye.

Sea Flat
02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
I have an 18.6 CC boat and have travelled through the canal about 6 times in it. I will say it is very difficult for me to keep the speedometer at 10mph. I usually will try and find the slowest speed possible for me in order to stay up on plane which is usually around 17mph. Most likely you are talking about the guys with twin engines doing 30+mph, but just wanted you to know it can be tough especially in a smaller boat to adhere exactly to the 10mph speed limit.

trevier
02-25-2010, 01:10 PM
the speeders bother me yes, how about the a-holes that are 40ft from shore when they have the whole canal to use, that really blows smoke up my arse for sure, you yell at them and they look at you like what I am I doing something wrong, duh

quick decision
02-25-2010, 01:13 PM
I have had more problems with lobster boats cutting way to close to the shore throwing a huge wake. there are a few spots on the east end you could get killed if you dont move out of the way of the wake.

piemma
02-25-2010, 01:13 PM
It's like the guys who come into Warwick Cove at 30+MPH. Sign says "5 MPH--NO Wake". No Wake my a$$!! They setup a tidal wave every time they come in or go out. ...and it's not the Quahoggers either. It's usually the guy with the 5 gold chains around his neck and the cocktail in hand.

JohnnyD
02-25-2010, 05:01 PM
and it's not the Quahoggers either. It's usually the guy with the 5 gold chains around his neck and the cocktail in hand.

So people from New Jersey?:devil2:

Roger
02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
and it's not the Quahoggers either. It's usually the guy with the 5 gold chains around his neck and the cocktail in hand.

OK OK, I'll slow down next time. :grins::buds::rotf2:

stiff tip
02-25-2010, 05:36 PM
a little cheese n crackers with that wine..... hay its a navigational waterway first ..not your favorate fishing spot .... cant we all play together ??????

redlite
02-25-2010, 05:43 PM
only by the Corps patrol boats....sometimes they come in so close to shore you could give em a high 5 (or a big #1)

Sweetwater
02-25-2010, 05:51 PM
There is a sign posted 10mph speed limit on the train bridge.

10 knots against a 7 knot current would barely be headway. But 10 mph against a 7 knot current would almost appear to someone on shore as a boat doing 17 mph as judged by its wake.

robc22
02-25-2010, 05:59 PM
a little cheese n crackers with that wine..... hay its a navigational waterway first ..not your favorate fishing spot .... cant we all play together ??????

This is a very good and valid point....... I see the corp slow folks down all the time.......As far as speeding in the ditch??? the biggest violator???? USCG in their semi-ridgid with the honda outboards attached, they are like state cops on the highway.....full throttle all the way....... but none the less, small boats running at high speed 30-40 ft off the shore are asking for trouble.....I got spooled by one years ago......I think all that mono around his wheel striped his hub.....I saw him drifting side-to about a mile east of where I was fishing........

Slipknot
02-25-2010, 06:12 PM
This is a very good and valid point....... I see the corp slow folks down all the time.......As far as speeding in the ditch??? the biggest violator???? USCG in their semi-ridgid with the honda outboards attached, they are like state cops on the highway.....full throttle all the way....... but none the less, small boats running at high speed 30-40 ft off the shore are asking for trouble.....I got spooled by one years ago......I think all that mono around his wheel striped his hub.....I saw him drifting side-to about a mile east of where I was fishing........

that semi ridgid got me one day, came up so fast I didn't see it coming, couldn't reel in fast enough and those Hondas swallowed up my whiplash braid in no time:smash: I hope for their sake it just cut off instead of wrapped around.

The canal was built for boat traffic, but some of you are right, they need to stop coming in so close at such high speeds. That's why I like fishing at night.

I used to go thru on a 22' when I owned it and it sucked trying to go 10 mph, once on plane at about 18 it left almost no wake, but at 10 the wake was huge.

robc22
02-26-2010, 07:05 AM
that semi ridgid got me one day, came up so fast I didn't see it coming, couldn't reel in fast enough and those Hondas swallowed up my whiplash braid in no time:smash: I hope for their sake it just cut off instead of wrapped around.

The canal was built for boat traffic, but some of you are right, they need to stop coming in so close at such high speeds. That's why I like fishing at night.

I used to go thru on a 22' when I owned it and it sucked trying to go 10 mph, once on plane at about 18 it left almost no wake, but at 10 the wake was huge.

Ya....you have to go 6 mph or 20 or more to make no wake......such is running a planing hull.....

Mike P
02-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I have an 18.6 CC boat and have travelled through the canal about 6 times in it. I will say it is very difficult for me to keep the speedometer at 10mph. I usually will try and find the slowest speed possible for me in order to stay up on plane which is usually around 17mph. Most likely you are talking about the guys with twin engines doing 30+mph, but just wanted you to know it can be tough especially in a smaller boat to adhere exactly to the 10mph speed limit.

A light outboard on plane makes almost no wake. And it certainly is going to have a zero effect on fishing, other than making you hold up your cast if it's in range.

the speeders bother me yes, how about the a-holes that are 40ft from shore when they have the whole canal to use, that really blows smoke up my arse for sure, you yell at them and they look at you like what I am I doing something wrong, duh

Sailboats are the worst for this--they seem to think that they have to run 50' from shore. I asked a guy once why he was so close--he told me he heard on the radio that a barge was approaching Hog Island Channel. He was around the Bourne Bridge at the time.

10 knots against a 7 knot current would barely be headway. But 10 mph against a 7 knot current would almost appear to someone on shore as a boat doing 17 mph as judged by its wake.

A displacement hull heading upcurrent makes twice the wake of one heading downcurrent. In a couple of spots, a barge fighting the current will create rips that take a half hour or more to subside.

RoyL
02-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I have more of a problem with the boats that stop to fish in front of me. Sometimes fishing for more then a half hour before taking off. I never see them get caught and i see it happen a lot

ProfessorM
02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I have more of a problem with the boats that stop to fish in front of me. Sometimes fishing for more then a half hour before taking off. I never see them get caught and i see it happen a lot

that 's what happens when you are a celebrity fisherman:biglaugh:

Me I never have that problem because I am usually in the wrong place at the wrong time.:uhuh: and people know it.

if they swamp you just sue them as they are responsible for their wake.

Swimmer
02-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Me I never have that problem because I am usually in the wrong place at the wrong time.:uhuh: and people know it.

Too funny:rotf2:

Bob Thomas
02-27-2010, 06:28 PM
only by the Corps patrol boats....sometimes they come in so close to shore you could give em a high 5 (or a big #1)

I was just about to post the same exact thing. They steam up tight to shore just riding around. 1 day, we had them playing with THEIR rigid doing donuts and figure 8's down the west end IN the canal. Waves were crashing everywhere.

big jay
02-27-2010, 07:45 PM
The lobster boats hug the wall to avoid the rips in the middle of the east end - most of the guys don't feel like getting their asses kicked on the way to work.

RoyL
02-28-2010, 07:02 AM

lol .........i'm going to have to start wearing my sun glasses Paul...........Hopefully that will work and no one will know who I am.

Roger
02-28-2010, 10:08 AM
The current on the sides is generally slower than the current in the middle, so displacement boats use less fuel and easier on some motors working against the tide by hugging the bank. It's a balancing act though, because a little too close and they'll get sucked into it.

robc22
02-28-2010, 07:04 PM
The lobster boats hug the wall to avoid the rips in the middle of the east end - most of the guys don't feel like getting their asses kicked on the way to work.

Very good point........

Swimmer
02-28-2010, 07:14 PM
The current on the sides is generally slower than the current in the middle, so displacement boats use less fuel and easier on some motors working against the tide by hugging the bank. It's a balancing act though, because a little too close and they'll get sucked into it.

About three one morning I observe a rather large vessel, maybe 300-350' long working east against the tide. I was fishing land side of the canal. I';m looking at this boat, and I'm looking at this boat, and I'm looking at this boat and friekin coming right at me. I'm thinking that I'm big enough to see on radar almost or the capatin is alseep. At the last minute the vessel veers to the right, port or starboard I don't know, to the right. And turns back into the main current. I leave most of my stuff on the banking that time of the morning anyway, good thing. If I had a belly board I could have road tht wake all the way to Scusset. I got a soaking. Now I know why some of the boats come so close to the side of the canal. At least the big ones. At that time of the morning there is nothing else around.