View Full Version : strike indicaters

Anthony
02-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Where on my line does a strike indicater go? Tippet? on the fly line?

thanks
Anthony

saltydog
02-24-2003, 01:56 PM
I don't do much FRESH Water fly fishing, just for STEELHEAD'S BROWN, ATLANTICS, an now an then northern PIKE, so for you FRESH WATER NUTS:p heres one for FLY FISHIN for PIKE. the hook is an 7/0 long shank, the fly w/tail is 9" if you would like to do one.
use RABBIT tie to the hook bend,
then WRAP it around the shank thats it,
glue eyes an go catch a pike or two.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":happy: :happy: :happy:

hooked
02-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Anthony, can you get your hands on a current issue of On The Water? There's an article on that topic in the mag. Didn't read it yet, though.

Anthony
02-24-2003, 04:44 PM
ok i'll try to get the issue of the magazine

Fish_n_Dive
02-24-2003, 05:18 PM
ok lets see if i can explain this. if it feels insulting because i am explaing it so basicly, its for me not you.
the floating line is connected to a leader of your choice (diffrent sizes, lenghs, ect.) which is in turn connected to a tippet. if using a dry fly, you shouldn't need a strike indicator. if using a sinking fly there are two things that you can do.
1. you can attach the strike indicater to the leader. (i don't do this, i explain why later) they sell strike indicators premade, just attach to the leader where ever you want.
2. i take a very large dry fly ( some sort of grasshopper, or somethig BIG) and tie some tippet to the hook on one end ant through the eye of the smaller fly, that way the smaller fly sits below the larger one. i likt this because sometimes fish strike the strike indicator and FISH ON!!! this way has its downsides too, if you catch a tree, then two, not one fly is lost.

hope this helped.:cool:

saltydog
02-25-2003, 12:36 PM
Fish_n_Dive,:D glad to see some one knows about freshwater fly fishin.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":cool:

Fish_n_Dive
02-25-2003, 03:57 PM
I try:laughs: :laughs: