View Full Version : Finally! The first sensable article I have read about Plovers.

Plum Crazy
02-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Solon Economou: Darwin strikes out on Cape Cod | Contributors | projo.com | The Providence Journal (http://www.projo.com/opinion/contributors/content/CT_solon28_02-28-10_SOHHSTB_v18.3f8da2f.html)

Karl F
02-28-2010, 02:11 PM
yes Nance. good article, and is an arguement I have tried and failed for years..
I have mentioned Darwin & natural selection for well over 20 years, and Carlin for at least the past 5 years...both are right on...
but, falls on deaf ears with the likes of MA Audobon and NPS, et al...
these folks also have never heard of common sense either....

Plum Crazy
02-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Ya Karl, I know that's the way most of us feel, It's just that I have never seen it in print before. We are usually getting bashed for wanting to run the "poor plovers" over.
I think they have really screwed up this time by wanting to poison those crows. NOW the whole public can see how out of control and overboard this plover protection plan is. Now it is not just us who think it is rediculous to keep protecting them. HA!

Rob Rockcrawler
02-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Well written article. He will probably catch a ton of sh#$ for it. Im glad he had the stones to put what many are thinking in print.

2na
03-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Karl, these arguments fall on deaf ears because they don't care about the birds they just want us off of the beach.

They will continue to feign concern for nature until we are off.

maddmatt
03-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Karl, these arguments fall on deaf ears because they don't care about the birds they just want us off of the beach.

what he said

saltfly
03-01-2010, 08:40 AM
It's about REVENUE and that is what it's all about.Price said it in no uncertain terms.Their problem is ther is no beach to serve the parking lots and the birds have ADDED to their problem.What these do-gooders don't understand is they're being faked right while the Seashore is running left.

MarshCappa
03-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Finnally something i can understand!

PRBuzz
03-01-2010, 10:29 AM
What is wrong with all you guys! Just think of the numbers of people employed trying to save the world and wildlife and doing what they think is right. If the programs stopped, think of all the additional people that would be added to the ranks of the un-/under employed. This is all about job security.......when the plovers disappear they will just move to the next species that requires saving: dogfish!:smash:

Or even worse striped bass fisheries management.:drool:

Karl F
03-01-2010, 10:40 AM

Bingo... been saying that for a couple of decades too....

and it is all just... :wall:

and feels so good when ya finally stop...:uhuh:

Surf Rat
03-01-2010, 11:05 AM
We will never get through to the closed mindedness of these bureaucrats and so called environmentalist. What we need to do is target the Congressmen and Senators who enable them by passing their budgets. We need to identify the committee members who oversee the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services. If we can be instrumental in ousting them from office then maybe they will listen to us. I would suggest joining the Tea Party route.

I would suggest that the same type of scientist who have been fudging the Climate data for the last 20 years are collecting the data pertaining to the plovers. They will skew the data to meet their agenda just as the Climatologists have and they are doing it with our own tax dollars.

Let's identify the politicians who are allowing this and get rid of them and replace them with hunters and fishermen who understand.

OLD GOAT
03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
It's all about the grant money for there jobs

The Dad Fisherman
03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Let's identify the politicians who are allowing this and get rid of them and replace them with hunters and fishermen who understand.

Easier said than done.......what do you think the percentage of hunter/fisherman is in most of the urban areas around here.......you'd be lucky if it was 10%........a lot more Earthy/Crunchy types in Boston and the surrounding areas then there are outdoorsmen.

Plum Crazy
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
They are pushing us to our limits so that we give up. So many already have so they are winning. The numbers of supporters have dwindled badly in the last few years as well as the funds to fight them. We just don't have enough support or money to step up to bat.

TheSurfcaster
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
We will never get through to the closed mindedness of these bureaucrats and so called environmentalist. What we need to do is target the Congressmen and Senators who enable them by passing their budgets. We need to identify the committee members who oversee the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services. If we can be instrumental in ousting them from office then maybe they will listen to us. I would suggest joining the Tea Party route.

I would suggest that the same type of scientist who have been fudging the Climate data for the last 20 years are collecting the data pertaining to the plovers. They will skew the data to meet their agenda just as the Climatologists have and they are doing it with our own tax dollars.

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!

Karl F
03-01-2010, 03:31 PM
They are pushing us to our limits so that we give up. So many already have so they are winning. The numbers of supporters have dwindled badly in the last few years as well as the funds to fight them. We just don't have enough support or money to step up to bat.

Factor in that Mother Nature is the one that is going to be the dagger in the heart of beach use. Erosion will take what the feelgooders have not. The user groups are outnumbered and outmonied and out lobbied and fight too much amongst themselves...I reached a point where I have more years behind me than in front of me.. i pick my so called "fights" and pass on most, and am just trying to optimize the time i have left..the next generation cares more about video games, so as Clammer would say, enjoy what you have... I have a real clean low mileage motorhome that i picked up cheap a year and ahlaf ago.. take about 2 grand to get it "beach ready" wheels big tires and lift and racks and such... light bulb went on... for less than a couple grand i picked up a skiff and will fish way more... and won't be sitting in the driveway weekends all summer polishing the wheels that won't see sand... and it looks like I will be able to "flip" the motorhome and just about double my money... win/win...
as opposed to loose/loose... no brainer.
If that makes me a bad person...so be it...
several 12 foot tides on the chart for this summer... if the beach is open.. willl have to drive thru 3 foot puddles and the "river" road... plus the front beach floods out pretty regular now too...know what that does to a vehicle... I do...ruined waaay too many nice vehicles over the years...
I'll still get a sticker...won't head south to north beach..(it's a chatham/orelans thing...go south to get north...) as for me, that side is FUBAR... but will head north to the inlet (resident) side... most likely get the NPS sticker as well and the overnight pass for the parking lots...just because old habits die hard...
but.. back to the first part... mother Nature..WILL have the FINAL say..that is my prediction...
watch the video in my "where is nauset part two" thread ...
tough to watch..but ya can't fight the facts...

Plum Crazy
03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Not me Karl. They will have to drag me off the beach in a body bag. I will be there till MN takes it.
That is why it is just so frustrating that they won't let us use it while we have it.

MakoMike
03-02-2010, 09:45 AM
If you want to change it then get congress to change the endangered species act. Right now with the act in place all these government agencies are just doing what they are required to do by law. It doesn't matter whether its a futile effort or not they are required by the ESA to do whatever it takes to try and save the species.