View Full Version : Broken Axle

MarshCappa
03-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Woke up this morning and noticed one of the wheels had bent in! Looks like my axle is toast. Any ideas for this useless non mechanical wonder boy? The obvious one is to look for a total replacement which is probably the best fix. I just need something to haul a 16' Carolina Skiff. I'd be into a used one for sure because I don't do a lot of long distance hauling. I'm glad this happend in the driveway though and not on the road.

BigBo
03-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Just replace the axle. You can get a complete replacement axle at Drinkwater Trailer in Pembroke or Monahans Marine in Weymouth. Probably run you a couple hundred clams for a complete bolt in unit. I haven't priced one in some time but when I did, Monahans was cheaper. The hardest part is squaring the axle to the frame. It's not too bad of a job.

OLD GOAT
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
H ave someone look at the bearings

Bill L
03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I replaced the axle on my trailer for a boat the same size last summer, its pretty easy. Put new leaf springs in as well. If the frame, bunk supports, rollers etc. are in good shape, this is the way to go. If everything is going to crap it can snow ball on you and you may be better off buying another.

freebie
03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
fairly easy to replace. might want to go new hubs as well if it's that rusted out. then you'd get bearings etc... too, how is the rest of the trailer? probably want to check the springs also

MarshCappa
03-02-2010, 11:13 PM
The rest of the trailor is fine. Springs are definetly rusty though. I think what I'm going to to do is replace the axle, hubs, springs, tires, etc. Talked to a good friend tonight who said i could borrow his trailor to bring it to my spot I keep the skiff at during the season and make the repairs to the trailor at my leisure. I'll jack it up and pull out the old trailor and slide in my bro's rig. He has 2 19' Carolina skiffs so it will be a piece of cake. I'll pick up the parts and have a little trailor fixing party some weekend. If any of you guys want to stop by and help I'll supply the Gansett's or PBR's you pick! :buds:Thanks guys for the advice. If dough wasn't an option I'd just buy a new one but I think I could get the parts for less than half the price of a new trailor for a skiff this size. Unless someone has a trailor in the $500 range???

Hey Professor if you're reading this maybe I'll finally replace that winch line that you liked so much! Although I think it still has plenty of life to it! Ahh the joys of small boats!

Raven
03-03-2010, 06:02 AM
The rest of the trailor is fine.

the question i'd be asking myself is why the axel bent in the first place. :confused:

BigBo
03-03-2010, 07:44 AM
the question i'd be asking myself is why the axel bent in the first place. :confused:
Easy. Rust from salt water.

Cappa, you can probably get a complete axle including hubs, bearings, etc and they may even have an assembly that includes the springs. If not, the springs can be had for cheap money. If you call one of those places up, they'll tell you the info they need to give you the right size axle. ie; width, hub size, etc.

fish4striper
03-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Might want to look at a torsional axle so you don't have to deal with springs. One less thing to remove/add. Not sure what the cost difference is.

ProfessorM
03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
time to break down and get a new trailer. I remember that trailer and you need a new one:uhuh: maybe one that will tip for the mud flats launching you do.

MarshCappa
03-03-2010, 11:50 AM
time to break down and get a new trailer. I remember that trailer and you need a new one:uhuh: maybe one that will tip for the mud flats launching you do.

AHHHH Come on, it's got character Paul! I'm going to keep it at Jones River Landing all year so I just need point a-b right now. I kept it there for the 2nd half of last season and they used it for river studies, etc and in turn I got a free slip at the landing. Perks of having one of my best friends as ecology director! I here you though about a new one but it's just not in the budget. I'll have my friend haul it over to Jones River with his trailor and I'll price out the parts for the retro fit. Also, that day you and I launched it was dead low which is something I don't do often especially there. That was a fun day though.

ProfessorM
03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
lol. I'm just bustin. Throw a new axle, hubs, bearings, and leafs and you will be good to go. A few new rollers while you are at it if i remember correctly. Shouldn't be very expensive and you don't trailer very far. Probably last you a long time more. It was a fun day though.

MarshCappa
03-03-2010, 02:21 PM
:rotf2::rotf2: What's wrong with my rollers now!:rotf2: Oh god i need help! It's definetly a ghetto setup for sure. You'd like the new spot I keep her at though. I'll keep everyone posted on events they have there. Good spot, good people, and it give me easy access to get out to the bay fast. Now if i can just get the fishing part down!:wall:

MarshCappa
03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Alright, got it off the trailor with a friend and up on blocks. Made the call to another friend and he'll be by to bring it to the river. Now I'll have all summer to fix up the trailor!

angler229
03-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Give Drinkwater a call they'll make sure you get everything you need in terms of fixing it up. We did an axle on one of our trailers last year and they took care of us.

beamie
03-22-2010, 11:56 AM
You know John,

I have never been in the trailer mode myself but an old timer once told me there are 2 kinds of trailers.....new trailers and junk.

It really may be worth pricing out a new trailer. I know about 7 years ago my buddy got a new trailer for a 14' Garvey for about $400.

By the time you add up all the items your in need of for just a bit more you may have allot less frustration.

Just a thought.

MarshCappa
03-22-2010, 01:10 PM
QUOTE=beamie;756004]You know John,

I have never been in the trailer mode myself but an old timer once told me there are 2 kinds of trailers.....new trailers and junk.

It really may be worth pricing out a new trailer. I know about 7 years ago my buddy got a new trailer for a 14' Garvey for about $400.

By the time you add up all the items your in need of for just a bit more you may have allot less frustration.

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

:uhuh: I agree and will price out my options. I'm just glad it won't delay my season. Although, I haven't started it yet. :eek5:
She was running good at the end of the season though.:bo:[

Krispy
03-22-2010, 08:35 PM
If you need to replace everything, get a new trailer, it will be the same $$.
Otherwise, non-brake trailers are pretty simple to work on with basic tools. A sawzall is key though.