View Full Version : Problem reading files...wtf

Back Beach
03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I have a new dell computer system with windows 7. Frequently, I receive proposals from vendors which are submitted as PDF's or Word documents, but when they reach my inbox they are showing up as .dat files and I cannot read them. I am sometimes prompted to scroll through a list of programs that supposedly read the .dat file, but none of them work. Do I need to install something?

PRBuzz
03-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Long shot but copy the file to a safe location and rename the file such that the file is name.pdf or name.doc. I think I have successfully done this in the past. Open with Adobe reader or Word.

JohnR
03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Forward me an example. Sometimes - though rare - the person sending you the email in RTF format from a corporate email server will cause the attachment to get stripped and show up as a dat file. Haven't seen this in a while though.

Back Beach
03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Long shot but copy the file to a safe location and rename the file such that the file is name.pdf or name.doc. I think I have successfully done this in the past. Open with Adobe reader or Word.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried it with no luck. The file is coming up as not supported by my system, thus I'm thinking its software related.

PRBuzz
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Here is a tool, found via search I haven't used:

Winmaildat.com: Open winmail.dat attachments. (http://www.winmaildat.com/)

Back Beach
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Forward me an example. Sometimes - though rare - the person sending you the email in RTF format from a corporate email server will cause the attachment to get stripped and show up as a dat file. Haven't seen this in a while though.

I just sent it to you.

JohnR
03-02-2010, 08:40 PM
I just replied and they were fine but see if you can read them now.

The other option, for bleeps and giggles is to reinstall Adobe Reader, just in case it is not installed - reinstall Adobe. Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions (http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO)

striperman36
03-02-2010, 08:52 PM
You could also use google docs, I have no issue opening stuff in my gmail.

stcroixman
03-02-2010, 09:31 PM
I have the same problem at work. I never heard of a dat file. I will look into it now.

vineyardblues
03-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I can give you Adobe pro CD at Massbass if needed, just let me know

VB