View Full Version : New camera

5/0
03-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I just jumped in and bought a new camera,I got a really good deal on this and couldn't pass it up!
I got an Olympus Stylus tough-8000,it's drop proof for 6.6 feet,12 mega pixels,crush proof of up to 220 pounds and this is the best part,it's water proof down to 33 feet:love:
I can't wait to take this thing fishing this year!

Anybody have an Olympus and want to share some feed back on them?

striperman36
03-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Mines great, I have on the boat all the time.

JohnR gets sand in his behind the lens shutter.

Thats the only negative I've heard.

My bitch is there is not an auto shutoff so you can be cruisin and just when you need it its dead.
Also almost all the camera's in within the same manufacturer have different charges. If you lose the charger or forget it, you're screwed.

angler229
03-02-2010, 10:11 PM
I have an Olympus 850SW, great little camera and tough as a bastard. First week I owned it I figured I test it, so put it in my plug bag while wetsuiting and it didn't even blink and I took some great shots. I think you'll be very happy with it.

tynan19
03-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Not so great in low light so compose your shots. Take a bunch of pics at night so you can test the distance the subject needs to be from the flash. Have used the olympus for the past 3 years. Great tough camera.

5/0
03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I've been reading the manual for the past couple of days trying to pick up on certain things but man there's a ton of stuff here to absorb:read:
Bill I found there is a power save mode,while in this mode the LCD will turn off in ten seconds if there is no activity,have you tried this and it just doesn't save much or no,haven't tried it?Secondly I can see sand getting in between the shutter and lens.I like the factory's recommended cleaning method,just hold under water and repeatedly turn the camera on and off to rinse out any debris.

Dan I don't know if I'll take it Skishing but defiantly take it to the Canal,snorkeling and possibly light diving.

Casey have you used the LED light for supplemental lighting in low light or night time conditions?
The way I see it is my last camera was ten yrs old and sucked in low to zero lighting so by now there's gotta be some improvements in night time shooting.
Also do find yourself taking most of your pics in Auto mode and tweak some lighting,speed and other adjustments or have you become acclimated enough with all of the SCN functions and do you see a difference between the two?I've noticed that with camera this intricate you have to be dead on with all of the optional manual functions to make a simple composition look awesome.

striperman36
03-04-2010, 07:51 PM
We don need no stenkin Maunel

GattaFish
03-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I have been going back and forth between the tough 8000 and the sw1050,,, still have not pulled the trigger,,,, hoping for some good info before I do,,,, I wish I had one last fall,,,,:smash::smash:

justplugit
03-04-2010, 09:24 PM
We don need no stenkin Maunel

For sure, imagine how many hours you'd waste in your life
if you read every manual ya got. :huh: :D

striperman36
03-04-2010, 09:25 PM
For sure, imagine how many hours you'd waste in your life
if you read every manual ya got. :huh: :D

just slap it real hard, works every time

justplugit
03-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Ya, I found eventually before it wears out ya know how to use it. :hihi:

Clammer taught me well. :D

striperman36
03-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Ya, I found eventually before it wears out ya know how to use it. :hihi:

Clammer taught me well. :D

there wisdom in them words or whatever he writes

Moses
03-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Great underwater pics and video!

Indoor pics suck.

Outdoor pics ok.

Raven
03-05-2010, 06:14 AM
yeah thats one thing i've been telling myself to do now each time you get a new gadget........

to label the charger because after awhile ya have so many
hard 2 figure out which one is for which? as they aint labeled :smash:

and they all look similar

5/0
03-05-2010, 06:26 PM

Yup!It's got that too,it has a slap function for flash,Macro,play back and multi shots.

I also found that it has a built in manometer,it will tell you the water depth and lets your known when you close to 33 feet.On the flip side it also has an Altimeter,I guess it measures hydraulic pressure why not give you altitude readings.

striperman36
03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Yup!It's got that too,it has a slap function for flash,Macro,play back and multi shots.

I also found that it has a built in manometer,it will tell you the water depth and lets your known when you close to 33 feet.On the flip side it also has an Altimeter,I guess it measures hydraulic pressure why not give you altitude readings.

Manuel told you these?

5/0
03-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Ahhhh yes, I've been enlightened by the ways of El Manual.

tynan19
03-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Most of the newer camera's meters are so good that auto function will work 95 % of the time. You may need to play with it to get certain affects. I usually just test shoot the camera at night. Since you can not alter the power of the flash you need to use the lens and then your own distance from the subject.

Saltheart
03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Everyone raves about Canon and Nikon but I believe it was an Olympus that Consumers Report rated the highest for Digital SLR's.