View Full Version : New Sponsor for Striper Cup

CaptMike
03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Looks like budweiser is the new brew sponsor for the cup? Personally I thought it was awesome that we had 'gansett for a while. I think that's got to be the unofficial beer of new england fishing. I imagine anheiser-busch is probably giving more money though so maybe we'll see some changes.:buds:

Swimmer
03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
And the beer will be cold at Striper Fest.

CaptMike
03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
And the beer will be cold at Striper Fest.

That's what I care about when it comes to beer

striperman36
03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Have you notice since Bud was purchased they are coming out with many more craft beers? Could be a good deal.

JohnnyD
03-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Have you notice since Bud was purchased they are coming out with many more craft beers? Could be a good deal.

Have you had any of their craft beers? :yak5:

fishbones
03-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm definitley not a beer snob, but I like one with flavor. I mostly drink Sam Adams, Smithwick's, Magic Hat, etc... I tried the Bud American Ale and thought it was pretty good. It was a bit mild, but had some flavor. More like a cross between an ale and a lager than a true ale, but it was suprisingly good.

Pete F.
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Why do you think they call them taste buds.

FishermanTim
03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Personally I hate Bud. If I had to choose between that and pickle juice, I'd take the vinegar residue every time.

Here's what I found strangely humorous is Bud's last greatest campaign to be the world's best "beer maker" by pushing their "born on dating" crap. I didn't know beer had such an exact shelf-life, and that if you drank beer AFTER that date, you were drinking "less-than-perfect" beer? (Doesn't ALL Bud fall into that category?)
It was nothing more than a ploy to fool people into thinking that they NEEDED to buy "fresh" Bud, or risk some unknown beer malady from drinking old Bud.

I like trying brews from independent brewers.
I like micro brews, but shy away from any extravagant concoctions that stray away from the basic recipes for good beer, ale, lager or stout. When you start making chocolate-rapberry stout, for example, you have strayed too far and have lost me.

I like Guiness (draft not bottle EVER!!!), Harpoon, Sam Adams, Rolling Rock (old not new), Hardcastle, Smithwicks (from draft in Ireland, not from a bottle here), Samiclaus (?) (one bottle is enough)
and any number of small brewery simple creations (IPA, stouts and lagers).

BigFish
03-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Never mind those...their regular line is horrible!!:yak:

striperman36
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM

didn't say I did. Lime in anything like that would be not good

piemma
03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
...and you can sign up NOW. I just did.

Sea Flat
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Cool. Budweiser is a big name to the tourny. Wonder if they will have a "free beer for a year" contest? Doubt it.

fishsmith
03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
When you start making chocolate-rapberry stout, for example, you have strayed too far and have lost me.

I felt the same way, until I tried one of these ... mmmmmmm ... good stuff.

http://www.sandysliquors.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/blueberry_beer_pic.jpg

CaptMike
03-03-2010, 01:26 PM
yeah I think it's really a good thing for the tournament, should bring in some more sponsor money at least. I really think schaefer should step up and sponsor it again for old time's sake. While I am no beer snob I agree with whoever said that departures like raspberry pistachio stout are a little much. I think people have begun to mistake 'micro brew" for "good". Sometimes I think less is more in beer, sam adams, yuengling, carib, landshark these I think are good examples of beer.

CaptMike
03-03-2010, 01:28 PM

I do like the wachusett beers. They have some wild concoctions but they're not totally overpowering like some of these overly hopped beers that feel like drinking oatmeal.

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I LOVE overly Hopped beers.....I'm a serious Hop-Head.

and I also love a good oatmeal Stout

Karl F
03-03-2010, 02:26 PM
these guys were soooo close to being the sponsor..

http://www.beerme.com/graphics/brewery/4/4470/3097.gif

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2010, 02:45 PM
This is my all time favorite Marketing for a Beer.....good Beer too, they also make a tasty IPA...

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/images/intro.gif

PRBuzz
03-03-2010, 02:49 PM
This is my all time favorite Marketing for a Beer.....good Beer too, they also make a tasty IPA...

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/images/intro.gif

Makes for a great party theme: have as a door prize a bottle of this beer and everybody at the party votes for the winner, e.g. The Most Arrogant!

Sea Dangles
03-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Give Hop Devil a try from the Victory brewing company.Their Prima Pils is also killer, and very drinkable for the times when your thirst says just one more.(sixpack)!!

whiplash
03-03-2010, 04:29 PM
If your a hop head try Fishermans IPA out of Gloucester or Mayflower IPA. I think the Mayflower IPA is the best IPA I've ever had with Fishermans a close second.

Thumper
03-03-2010, 05:38 PM

you have to try dogfish head 120 or any of there min blends. the 120 will run you about $9 a beer if i can remember. the 120 or any numbers with there "min ale"(60 & 90) means the amount of time they hop the beer for. the new sam adams noble pils i think its called is also an awesome beer :cheers:

Saltheart
03-03-2010, 06:27 PM
It is absolutely true that beer should be drunk fresh and that in time , it loses flavor. Now it is not like a light switch where after x number of days it kicks over. Think of beer like you would bread , not like wine. Bread is best fresh and so is beer. Bread gets stale over time and so does beer.

Things that help beer stay fresher longer are dark glass bottles , storage at constant and relatively cool temps , high hop content , high alcohol content.

very high alcohol beers , say above 7 % , do benefit from a little aging but not for many years like wine.

I have made my own beer for almost 3 decades now but when I buy beer I like hoppy beers and/or grainy beers. A good happy beer that I seldom see anymore was Magic Hat Blind Faith. Sam Adams Boston Lager is also a very good beer do to the higher level of hops and the use of a specific hop called Hallertauer Mittlfrueh hops. I like IPA's because they have a hoppy profile.

The Best hops IMO are the East Kent Goldings from England and the Hallertauer Mittlefreuh from Germany. Both have relatively low Alpha Acid levels so they are easier to use for bittering beer without getting too bitter and the both have excellent flavor and aroma. For a long time I imported hops from Europe for my own brewing. One year I importred 80 pounds of EK Goldings and the H Mittlefrueh hops. !! :) There are some good hops grown in the USA now. They were developed as starins of the two I mentioned but hybrided so they would grow well in the soils and climate in Washington and Oregon.

For grainy beers I like New Castle Nut Brown and several of the Samuel Smith beers. I especially like what is called a Robust Porter and I have to make that for myself to get something really excellent.

Fruity beers have to be done a certain way for me to like them and almost always the fruit must be added to a dark grainy beer or I don't like it. You can make some outstanding Cherry and Cranberry Porters. Lambics can also be OK. Obviously I love talking about , brewing and drinking beer! :)

So anyway , as far as sponsors of the tournament , I couldn't care less who the sponsor is. I think Bud will probably do a good job as the sponsor and they certainly have deep pockets so maybe there will be more and bigger prizes!

Swimmer
03-03-2010, 07:18 PM

Booberries are loaded with anti oxidents right. So if it comes down to a matter of health then go boo.

Pt.JudeJoe
03-03-2010, 07:20 PM
So when and where are the awrds going to be held fpr the Cup this year?

Sea Dangles
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
If your a hop head try Fishermans IPA out of Gloucester or Mayflower IPA. I think the Mayflower IPA is the best IPA I've ever had with Fishermans a close second.

Unfiltered beer is like drinking a fart machine.
We are not Vikings.

striperman36
03-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Sea Dangles actually said something meaningful

ivanputski
03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
its about time the cup runs until the end of October!!! If I'm not mistakem the harpoon brewery had it end in sept. as a marketing ploy to kick off their octoberfest... great idea for THEIR business, stupid Idea for a striper tournament... who ends a tourny before the best month of fishing??? Its time for a change... and why wasnt the party in gansett if it was sponsored by gansett last year!!!

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Give Hop Devil a try from the Victory brewing company.Their Prima Pils is also killer, and very drinkable for the times when your thirst says just one more.(sixpack)!!

I've had the Hop Devil....another good beer....I get to sample a lot seeing the wife works in a liqour Store :hee:

I've had the Fishermans...never tried the mayflower though...will have to put it on the list

you have to try dogfish head 120 or any of there min blends. the 120 will run you about $9 a beer if i can remember. the 120 or any numbers with there "min ale"(60 & 90) means the amount of time they hop the beer for. the new sam adams noble pils i think its called is also an awesome beer :cheers:

I've tried all 3 of these they are good.....but I think they were more after the shock of the hops then balancing the beer

Booberries are loaded with anti oxidents right. So if it comes down to a matter of health then go boo.

I always say....The Fat Free, Whole Grain Goodness of Beer

Unfiltered beer is like drinking a fart machine.
We are not Vikings.

I like a good unfiltered wheat....i think it adds a different flavor to the beer...a little citrus hint.....all that spent yeast floating around is actually good for a hangover (at least thats what I keep telling Myself)....its loaded with B vitamins

Best IPA I ever had was at a place in Pennsylvania called the General Lafayette Inn....it was amazing....

and I have no problem s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g down an Ice Cold Bud thats been sitting in a cooler on a hot Summer day....when you pick it up and the little pieces of ice slide ever so slowly down the can.....it makes that crisp sound when you open it and it slides down your throat to quench your thirst after a hard day of yard work.......:drool:

Mike P
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
its about time the cup runs until the end of October!!! If I'm not mistakem the harpoon brewery had it end in sept. as a marketing ploy to kick off their octoberfest... great idea for THEIR business, stupid Idea for a striper tournament... who ends a tourny before the best month of fishing??? Its time for a change... and why wasnt the party in gansett if it was sponsored by gansett last year!!!

Maybe because Gansett is brewed somewhere in upstate NY?

MarshCappa
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Maybe because Gansett is brewed somewhere in upstate NY?

The Lager is yes because there wasn't a facility big enough in RI to handle the volume. The specialty brews are brewed in Providence though. They are currently trying to bring the entire process for the Lager to be brewed in RI which would be great for the local economy, especially in a state where unemployment is the worst in the country.