View Full Version : Recommendation for thickness planer

Eric Roach
03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Can anyone recommend a good benchtop thickness planer for squaring turning stock. There are a lot to choose from and I thought it'd be good to get direct opinions.

Fishpart
03-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Close to square is close enough for turning in my book. I've turned stuff out of almost triangular sticks split out of a log with an axe. If you need it square to register lips, eyes and bellyholes, you can probably get it close enough by tablesaw or bandsaw with a fence...

If you "need" a planer I can't offer any suggestions because my only experience is with a 12" Ryobi that does an OK job..

Pete F.
03-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I would'nt waste the electricity and sharp blades planing stock to turn. It will be plenty square with a table saw and good enough with a band saw.

numbskull
03-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I have a little Williams-Hussey moulder/planer. Nice little machine. I don't usually try to square up stock for turning. If you plan to make square stock you will need a jointer as well.

nightfighter
03-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I would'nt waste the electricity and sharp blades planing stock to turn. It will be plenty square with a table saw and good enough with a band saw.

Couldn't agree more... But if you really "need" to square up your stock, You could buy my jointer in Classifieds.... Comes with a Shopsmith lathe, drillpress, tablesaw, and a bunch of other cool tools....:grins:

mikecc
03-10-2010, 12:45 AM
I have a Delta 13" and use it all the time on different kinds of wood working projects

Rockfish9
03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
as the others have said, in most cases your saw cut will be plenty close enough... As for the Planer, I've got a Craftsman 12" that has servedme well for many years.... fro small stuff, I use the jointer (8") craftsman...