View Full Version : bucktail lure paint

Team rock
03-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Poured some lead weights and bucktail lures, what best paint to use and where can I get some??
I`am in west Islip Long Island.
This was a first for me, but my son [14] was amazed, and is looking to paint and wrap! And he`s pump on useing em! Very cool cabin fever activety
Robert

kevinthegood
03-12-2010, 07:08 PM
google powder paint, plenty of places sell it
you tube has videos on how to use it

JohnnyD
03-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Cabela's -- Pro-Tec Powder Paint (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=ISYI003OKJYWVLAQBBJCCN3MCAEFGI WE?id=0001641311665a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0841812&cm_ite=0001641311665a&_requestid=110151)
This is some of the best stuff I've tried. Best way to use it is to pre-heat the jigs before dipping them and then slowly bake them to cure the paint.

JLH
03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
I have used both the vinyl and powdered paints and both work well. Go with the powder if you have an easy way to heat the jigs (old toaster oven or something) its a bit quicker and easier.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

HESH2
03-13-2010, 07:45 AM
was thinking nail polish to touch up some jigs i have.

Team rock
03-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys Where can I pick some powder paint [Store`s]?
And thread as well [fly shop]
Nail polish will chip fast, just ask the bride:smash:

O.D. Mike
03-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Poured some lead weights and bucktail lures, what best paint to use and where can I get some??
I`am in west Islip Long Island.
This was a first for me, but my son [14] was amazed, and is looking to paint and wrap! And he`s pump on useing em! Very cool cabin fever activety
Robert

I'm a little different, I like to take a 10'' long x 3'' piece of PVC glue a cap on one end and the other gets a screw fitting. I fill the tube with oil based paint, not all the way up to the top.

Then when I need to I unscrew the cap and dunk the lead heads and let them dry and then dunk them a second time to get a good cover.

The way I look at this is, when I go to the canal it seems everytime a jig hits the bottom the paint comes off. After the day of fishing if the jig needs re-painting, I just dunk it in the paint and let it dry.

I'll try to post some pics

Hope this helps
Mike

Saltheart
03-13-2010, 01:00 PM
I get a small can , like 8 OZ of Rustoleum and dip them and hang to dry. You can do two coats but usually not nescessay.

The powder paint looks nice but it cracks and chips off too. The rustoleum has a special binder so it sticks to metal. It also gets beat up but depending on how and where you are fishing , any paint is goingg to take a beating if you are bouncing it along a rocky bottom.

O.D. Mike
03-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I took some scrap azek and built a place to put the 3" PVC tubes on, it helps contain the spills. One tube is filled with paint and the other is poly. There are two pieces of metal that hold the plugs or jigs above the tube, once it stops dripping you can put it into the fridge to dry.

The small pepsi fridge is where i let the jigs and plugs dry. I found the fridge at the dump one day and had the thing for years before figuring out that it would make a great oven for heating up plugs and jigs. My favorite part is its a sealed chamber once the lures are in there, no dust can enter.

O.D. Mike
03-14-2010, 11:32 AM
There's about 50 jigs in the fridge

Hope this helps,
Mike

O.D. Mike
03-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Sorry about that...

5/0
03-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Pretty innovative with the old fridge & good thinking with the light bulb how hot does it get in there.

O.D. Mike
03-14-2010, 04:32 PM
5/0,
In the picture of the fridge, the top right corner is where my thermostat is. I usually shut it down when it reaches 100 degrees. It takes close to 2 hours to reach temp with a 40 watt light bulb. I could put a 100 watt light bulb instead of the 40 watt, I'm in no rush to heat up the fridge...

Can you tell me the length and weight of the striper in your Avatar pic?

Thanks,
Mike

flyvice11787
03-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys Where can I pick some powder paint [Store`s]?
And thread as well [fly shop]
Nail polish will chip fast, just ask the bride:smash:

You live on LI and don't know about Terminal Tackle in Kings Park :confused:? Go almost all the way to the end of Sunken Meadow Parkway, exit SM5E. It's about a mile east on the south side, 120 Main Street. Plenty of lure building stuff, especially molds, hooks and paint :uhuh:.

big jay
03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
I do the rustoleum dip thing too.

And then I drop off a big bucket of jigs heads and hair to Pt Jude Jeff and let him have at it. My tying is atrocious and he's great - cheaper and better than buying em pre-made.

O.D. Mike
03-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Jay,
Thanks again for the great seminar on Saturday at the edge. That was very informative and I enjoyed the stories from you and your dad. Also thanks for the info on the micro-brews in cans...

Mike

big jay
03-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Sure thing Mike - glad you enjoyed it.
The Pork-slap Pale ale is pretty darn good.

Team rock
03-15-2010, 04:54 PM
You live on LI and don't know about Terminal Tackle in Kings Park :confused:? Go almost all the way to the end of Sunken Meadow Parkway, exit SM5E. It's about a mile east on the south side, 120 Main Street. Plenty of lure building stuff, especially molds, hooks and paint :uhuh:.

I`ve heard of them, but to be honest hadn`t gone yet! And they are 15 minutes from my son hockey practice! I also fished Sunken M 25+ times last year but alway in wee hours of night. So I get there this week, good info.
Thanks Robert

flyvice11787
03-15-2010, 06:16 PM
If it's not during rush hour traffic, I'm pretty sure you can make from W. Islip in about 20 minutes. Your head will spin when you see their hook selection. Just know that the owner is the old grumpy type, but he's OK.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Team rock
03-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Old grumpy type must be a striper fishermen old salt [lol]
Seam that typical, but yey thank you!
Could be costly going there!