View Full Version : Reel Recommendation

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Having a new rod built strictly to eel the canal. I'm putting my Calcutta to another use and want to go with an Abu. I'll be using a 10fter with braid. What model would you go with and why? Thanks

Big Dave
03-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Does it have to be an ABU?
If it does, and you looking at a canal reel I would recommend the 7500 HSN. Nice reel, narrow spool and the frame is much better suited to the demands of the canal. very nice step up from the 65 series.

There will be lots of opinions I'm sure, but a very nice reel for what your looking to do is the diawa sealine X in a 20 size. Solid reel, great drag, very controllable when casting with eels. great value for the dollar spent.
Big Dave

angler229
03-13-2010, 05:28 PM
I would look into the Daiwa saltist levelwind, they are a solid reel, or if you can find an older made in Sweden Abu 7000 that would be a good option.

Mike P
03-13-2010, 06:38 PM
+1 for the Saltist levelwind. The Sealine X SHA 20 is a fine reel, but it doesn't have a levelwind which most folks prefer for eels, and the Saltist has an all metal body whereas the Sealine is partially graphite. The gearbox on the Saltist is also canted forward, so it's not in the way of your finger if your rod is being built with a trigger seat. The Sealine's gearbox does get in the way and it can get uncomfortable after awhile.

The Saltist runs around $170 whereas the Sealine SHA runs about $130.

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I do want a level wind and the rod will have a trigger. I kind of miss fishing the Abu's I have always had good luck with them and kind of miss fishing one. I have heard great things about the Saltist from alot of people including the guy's at Red Top which were pointing me in that direction. And I would be looking for a Sweden make. I have a 6500cl big game Sweden in great shape I don't use anymore if anyone's interested let me know. I don't really want to sell it but the new combo is going to run me around $500 so I may let her go. Thanks guys.