View Full Version : Cape beaches

Nebe
03-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Must have gotten trashed last night... Huge surf in Newport right now- ocean drive was closed to traffic this morning :(

striperman36
03-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Nice, I always forget to go down at lunch

Karl F
03-14-2010, 10:42 AM
wind is still gonna crank till tomorrow...

ain't ventured out yet today...being lazy...forgot about clock change too..

Bill.. "go down at lunch?"

uh... you eat at the Y?

;)

striperman36
03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
no I am 5 min from Ocean Drive when I am at work, and I never think to go see the ancient mariner.

Nebe
03-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Beavertail looked like it was getting smashed
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

UserRemoved1
03-14-2010, 11:03 AM
you shoulda seen driving up from jersey last night Eben. The upper level of the gw bridge was nothing short of spectacularly scary. Tremendous wind. Saw several multi car pileups and 3 cars in the ditch. 7 hours in a rolling barn door.

Backbeach Jake
03-14-2010, 11:38 AM
you shoulda seen driving up from jersey last night Eben. The upper level of the gw bridge was nothing short of spectacularly scary. Tremendous wind. Saw several multi car pileups and 3 cars in the ditch. 7 hours in a rolling barn door.

Bug-eyed white knuckle driving!

OLD GOAT
03-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Going to put a twelve ft. pole on my Quahog rake . Should be able to reach them in another storm or two from the back step

ProfessorM
03-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Lake Assawopsett looked like the ocean this morning. It washed over the Rt 18 across from the Catholic church and left lots of debris on the street. It is a very large lake, largest natural in Ma. I'm pretty sure and is kind of high but there were 3 footers out there. Never seen that kind of display there before, like a surf drive. I can't imagine what the ocean looks like.

striperman36
03-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Lake Assawopsett looked like the ocean this morning. It washed over the Rt 18 across from the Catholic church and left lots of debris on the street. It is a very large lake, largest natural in Ma. I'm pretty sure and is kind of high but there were 3 footers out there. Never seen that kind of display there before, like a surf drive. I can't imagine what the ocean looks like.

Shame we can't fish it. legally

Nebe
03-14-2010, 02:27 PM
some pics off the phone-

Nebe
03-14-2010, 02:32 PM

spence
03-14-2010, 03:20 PM
That last one is nice...I've always wanted to learn to surf, if I only had a board :devil2:

-spence

Nebe
03-14-2010, 03:22 PM
There was someone surfing there- just to the right of the frame

Karl F
03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
did not bring the camera...but just did a tour. high water, very angry surf.. (yours looks calmer)...... and the wind..she blows....
got a good peek at the bike bridge at the Eastham CG.... looks like it is toast..

anybody that is familiar with the parking lot at Nauset... the small gravel lot off the main lot, just before where you drive down the trail to the air down area..
marsh behind the gravel lot... very full.. and... slopping into the gravel lot... :eek:..
so.. I did not even bother to try to go down to the air down area, as I know from that, it would mean it is under water....

went for a long walk thru Nickerson State Park as well.. walk out there a lot...and there is a lot of fresh tree falls...from last night...and the wind is supposed to keep on thru tonight as well.

saltfly
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Walked Nauset on Friday south to trail 3 and the inland rd is still under water in some areas to over 2'.There was actual current ripples in the trail in many places.The "Duck Camp" had standing water under the support pilings and dead racoons floating in the water.the beach from trail 1 down to 3 has area to drive on a normal tide.trl 2 has a 6' drop off.the dunes themselves from 1 past 2 towards 3 have a sheer drop-off of 10' or more.lots of debris in the water.The beach at 3 is pretty wide but you "can't get there from here".As this plays out the only people driving will be "lease vehicles".I'll be taking a walk to the new cut possibly tomorrow.

Karl F
03-14-2010, 03:55 PM
if I wasn't going to Boston tomorrow I would have loved to join you on that hike out..... bring yer hip waders....

striperman36
03-14-2010, 04:01 PM
if I wasn't going to Boston tomorrow I would have loved to join you on that hike out..... bring yer hip waders....

Boston is over-rated

Karl F
03-14-2010, 04:06 PM
family day...daughter is home from college, wife took day off, we are going into city, meeting up with our son at his place, going to the North End... (def. not over-rated, hafta ditch the diet for a day) then the boy is treating us to the celtic's game...
i can walk the beach...anytime...

striperman36
03-14-2010, 04:08 PM
family day...daughter is home from college, wife took day off, we are going into city, meeting up with our son at his place, going to the North End... (def. not over-rated, hafta ditch the diet for a day) then the boy is treating us to the celtic's game...
i can walk the beach...anytime...

Ok, that works. enjoy the day. I have a few years to wait to get that payback.

park at 128 and take the train in.

saltfly
03-14-2010, 04:13 PM
if I wasn't going to Boston tomorrow I would have loved to join you on that hike out..... bring yer hip waders....Krap!!! I don't need no stinking waders:rotf2:'ll just walk the dunes.It's alot easier.The noon tide will keep everyone elsewhere.The amout of wind and direction will factor in the distance traveled.:uhuh:

Raven
03-15-2010, 05:11 AM
I was out driving a big truck

looking at all the devastation

usual tree limbs.... an all that
but this one section of pines
had just the needles sheared right off

as if one of those highway berm cutters
had passed by and trimmed the bushes

but the most astonishing thing
was this old stone wall at a neighbors
place that was blown over by the wind

bassballer
03-15-2010, 11:08 AM
There was someone surfing there- just to the right of the frame

that is straight balls to surf that reef

Nebe
03-15-2010, 11:34 AM

Agreed.. my iphone cant zoom, otherwise i could have had some great pics of him

Crafty Angler
03-15-2010, 03:30 PM

There's a perfect 4'-5' right with offshores breaking on the south side of the Rockpile right now...:uhuh:

Beautiful whitewater on the Point, too - except there's one thing missing...:(

piemma
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
There's a perfect 4'-5' right with offshores breaking on the south side of the Rockpile right now...:uhuh:

Beautiful whitewater on the Point, too - except there's one thing missing...:(

...and if this was October, they would be piled up in the first curl

Foul Hooker
03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Angry Ocean.. taken at Coast Guard Beach Sat 3/14/10

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/DMBCapeCod/fishing/winter2010096.jpg

YouTube - winter 2010 090.MPG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xtnjYDn0o)