View Full Version : G-Loomis Rods

Duke41
02-25-2003, 10:20 AM
I recently took a look at a G-Loomis Bacara Rod. It is a little to pricey for me at $210.00. Does any one have a suggestion for a similar rod for less $$$.

IFG
02-25-2003, 07:13 PM
I'm not reel sure what a Bacara rod is used for but there are many other options like custom rods from CMS in New bedford that can go up to $200.00 or higher on surf rigs but they can be very reasonable otherwise and the offer full service on the rod. Or St. Croix are nice for the cost. If you tell me what fishng your doing with the rod i can help more.

JohnR
02-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Yo - Ifishgibbs, do you work for CMS or get a discount or something?

They are a good shop, one of many, but I see you push them in nearly every post. Is this Charlie :D ? Or is it Dennis or Dan from Gibbs :D ? I gotsta ask...

shore manic
02-25-2003, 09:16 PM
john, i was wondering when some one was going to speak up! glad you beat me to it cause i wasn't going to be so kind. kind of a slap in the face to our sponsors and rod builders on site!!!!

JohnR
02-25-2003, 09:29 PM
Shore - it's not that so much as CMS does do good work or not(and no the ain't a sponsor here) but it just sounds too canned. I'm not gonna give him a hard time because he likes CMS or Redtop. Personally I like M&Ds and a few others sponsors or non-sponosrs, but CMS is not the only game in town nor are Gibbs plugs. He also sounds like he's trying to help out, a little eager perhaps but its all friendly other than the marketing campaing :hihi:

But it really does sound like Dan or Dennis in sheeps clothing :btu: :laughs: or like IFishGibbs is someone pulling my leg (I'd say Haby but this guy is too eloquent), but that's the problem with this Internet annonymity thing. It could also be WeeWee as they are not online at the same time :doh:

So will the real "IFishGibbs" please stand up! Ahh, just having a little fun wid ya. Welcome aboard!

You know - it's been a while since we did a "Hi, I am (blank) and I like to (blank) with (blank)s in the (blank)ing ocean in my (blank)" thread...

JohnR
02-25-2003, 09:31 PM
See - IFishGibbs is not online but WeeWee is back!

shore manic
02-25-2003, 09:52 PM
i here ya john but i was beginning to get aggravated. at least we know mr.Y won't be back!!! :smash:

Duke41
02-25-2003, 10:30 PM
How does help me with my post?

PNG
02-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Duke says ... How does help me with my post?

Well let me ask you this ...

What are the Loomis specs?

I believe Loomis is way over priced....

You can get a comparable rod for much less $$$$ and there are some rod building sponsors on this site. Send them a note.

Do what you are doing ..... ask questions... hopefully we can help you out.

Chris

Mike P
02-26-2003, 07:04 AM
One of the problems was that you asked about a Loomis line of rods that a lot of people never heard of. You need to give length, lure/line ratings, price, etc.

I agree with Chris, Loomis rods are overpriced. You can get a custom Batson for $100 less than their so-called "entry-level" GL 2 series. And you couldn't give me one of their two-piece ones for free.

fishweewee
02-26-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by JohnR
See - IFishGibbs is not online but WeeWee is back!

Ummmmm....nope. Not me. I'm in the casa de bow wow in a place or two right now for being a little schizoid, so I haven't been doing that.

IFishGibbs sounds somebody like I know...though. Strangely familiar.

But not me, or one of me... ;)

-WW

Fisherwoman
02-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Hi Duke41,

All I can say is you get what you pay for, I have a custom G-loomis and I can say it is the best rod I have ever fished. I love this rod and am having 2 more made. But they are a pricey rod.

There are many rods out on the market today to do just as good for your fishing needs as does a loomis. Its all about what you are fishing for and what you like for feel and comfort. How many hours do you fish? what size lures will you be using? or are you bait fishing? these questions are very improtant. Mike at M&D's has some really nice rods. There are also a few guys on this site like Saltheart who build a beautiful rod. All depends on what you are looking to do? Give us some idea's on the type of fishing you will be doing.

Duke41
02-26-2003, 08:21 PM
The rod that I really loked was the Gloomis Bacara it was a 7 ft med action rod with a 12-20lb rating. To be used for driftting eels and chunking. Fisherwoman those rods are awesome. That rod just seemed to be perfect to me. I may go head and drop the dough. I guess I will check with the site rod builders first.

PNG
02-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Ask Mikecc about the new line he's carrying - Patriot Blanks. Reasonable price top quality made by AllStar
I'm itch'n for mine to come in.
Chris

Fisherwoman
02-27-2003, 09:45 AM
Duke41, all I can say is LOOMIS RULES, just my preference, they do feel just perfect when ya pick them up. It just whether you can justify droppin the money on them. But since fishing is now my profession, I will drop the money any time!!!But seriously look around, there is alot of nice quality stuff out there, you never know what you might come across. What is that 7 ft rated for as far as lure weight goes, not line wt. If you are going to drift eels with it and chunks or plugs you may need a little heavier rod. You do not want to use a rod that is not rated for enough weight on the hook or all you will do is snap off alot or possibley break the rod.

IFG
02-27-2003, 08:32 PM
Duke a 7ft for chunking [not knocking G-loomis but] I be afriad a big old cow will come along and make that rod blank explode at least if your into g-loomis go with threer surf series med-heavey rod