View Full Version : rod wraping finish

m+mhammer
03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I have a guide that did not harden. I added a second coating to a guide after notiicing it wasn't fully covered. I only mixed a small batch an must not have either mixed long enough or not equal parts.talked to mike from cct. and he I said have to redo the guide. had hoped not to have to do that. Any ideas? thanks

striperman36
03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
mike knows rod making. Do what he says

Saltheart
03-16-2010, 07:30 PM
If its hard and just tacky you can recoat. If its soft and tacky then cut it off and redo.

Depending on where it cured and the type of finish it may take a while to cure. Example , Aftcote at 60 degrees , maybe 3 or 4 days. Flex coat at 75 degrees , maybe 6 to 10 hours.

m+mhammer
03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks saltheart will try it. The worst that can happen is that I'll have to re-wrap the guide.

stripermaineiac
03-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Remember any short cut you make while preparing to go fishing will come back to haunt you when the big one is on.Strip it down lime Mike said and you'll never regret it. Don't and the fish gods will make you pay a high price.Trust me I build a lot of custom rods an fix a lot of short cut repairs that cost a nice lure or a good fish to someone. Ron

m+mhammer
03-20-2010, 07:38 AM
It worked! Probably wasn't the right way to do it but it was only half the guide that was tacky. thanks again for your suggestions.Mike.:):):):jump1: