View Full Version : Amendment 6 update from MSBA

Van
02-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Two requests by MassDMF were approved:

1..To allow that state to amend it's Recreational regs to allow daily limit of 1 fish @28"-40" and one fish over 40" and
2..To request NMFS allow fishing in the EEZ

More information at...

http://www.surfcaster.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1288&

fishweewee
02-25-2003, 02:22 PM
A recreational slot limit in Mass?!!!!! :confused:

BasicPatrick
02-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Here Ye, Here Ye,

Van is correct, Amendment 6 to the overall Striped Bass Management Plan was ratified yesterday.

The State of MA did ask for an approval on the "slot" limit as listed above. This does not mean that the Striped Bass regulations have changed in Massachusetts. It appears there will be a process beginning, to determine what the regs will be for 2003. To his credit, DMF Commishioner Paul Diodati has convened the MA Striped Bass Advisory Panel. I will be representing MSBA on that Panel.

At tomorrow night's MSBA meeting there will be up to the minute info on Ammendment 6, the process for the 2003 MA Striped Bass regulations, a chili contest, and a great presentation on light tackle Bluefin tuna Fishing

Slipknot
02-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Oh this is just great, KILL"EM now while ya got the chance folks.
Mr.Sandman is gonna blow a gasket.

Ben, it seems more like if you get one keeper from 26 - 40" then you can still keep on fishing and not worry about having to release a trophy fish of your dreams. Maybe their reasoning is to try to keep release mortality down, who knows.

If the request to allow fishing in the EEZ gets approved, then there will be problems as other states will want to jump on the bandwagon. I think this push is just the charter captains trying to get away from the crowds, I guess they are getting followed by the yahoos on weekends. Well quite a few of the charter guys already go to Stellawagon to get bass and they get away with it. The clients don't even know it's against the law.

I just hope there is more pogies this year for all these bass to grow.

mrmacey
02-25-2003, 06:22 PM
what is the eez and is the msba meeting open to anyone even if your not a member thanks

Mike P
02-25-2003, 08:14 PM
eez--the area under Federal jurisdiction from 3 miles to 200 miles.

slip, you're there in Mass more than me---do you see a lot of guys who hang it up after they keep a fish these days?

Slipknot
02-25-2003, 08:29 PM
I don't know Mike, that may be a better question for JoeG.
The times I rarely keep a fish, I will keep fishing or did in the past till I had a 28 lbder croak on me(it wasn't after keeping one, I just couldn't snag it to keep it from becoming crabfood so I am more careful when the water is warm and don't horse them up) so now once I keep one I will stop.

I am sure others take one then leave and others keep one for dinner and keep catching. I couldn't even guess as what pecentage of both. I fish at night a lot and don't see many others catching. And when I fish in the day, I mostly am alone away from anybody.

I don't believe it has been passed yet anyway, it is just a request at this point for the 2 fish thing.

MRMACEY, the meetings are open to all I believe, I have to get my taxes done tom. but I may head up afterwards if possible. I am not a member either but may sign up.

JohnR
02-25-2003, 08:32 PM
MM - meetings are open to all - its right on the Quincy / Braintree line on Quincy Ave. Between the Shipyard and the Quick used car lot...
Across from Dunkies