View Full Version : RISAA Show- Where are you going for grub?

luds
03-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm headed down tomorrow and usually take a break from the show to grab some beer and lunch. Maybe 3 years ago I went to Trinity for the first time and it was great. The year before last the food was good but the beer was not. I felt like I was burping gasoline for the rest of the day. Last year both the food and beer were horrible and what happened to the cute waitresses they used to have? :huh:

Looking for some recommendations on some reasonably priced food and good beer within a short distance of the convention center. Looks like Union Station brewery is an option but I just read some iffy reviews.

Where should I go tomorrow?

JackK
03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Walking or driving distance?

One of my favorite places for a beer & burger is the Wickenden Pub... But you'd have to drive there. Worth stopping by for food after the show.

Luxe burger is right nearby... I think I'm going to head there. I've never eaten there but I know people who drive from Newport up there just to grab a burger. Supposed to be great.

luds
03-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Looking for walking distance although I'll keep that place in mind for the future. Hoping to have a few beers :uhuh: so driving is probably not the best plan.

tobias
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Murphy's, short walk away.

Back Beach
03-18-2010, 11:39 AM
RiRa is just around the corner. Good shepherd's pie and a nice pint of Guiness to wash it down. Fire and Ice is pretty good too as is Dave and Busters, which is up in the mall. I'll be there around 12pm, give me a call or pm if you want to have lunch and some libation.

jim sylvester
03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
blakes tavern

great food...good beers

right around the corner

Clogston29
03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Good shepherd's pie and a nice pint of Guiness

you had him at shepherd's pie :deer:

Nebe
03-18-2010, 01:33 PM
The sportsman :devil:

JohnR
03-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Nebe has never steered me wrong regarding food :rotf2:.

fishbones
03-18-2010, 02:10 PM

I've heard that the talent has improved there due to the recession.

chefchris401
03-18-2010, 02:20 PM
try Luxe, its located right next door to Union Station and RiRa.

BYOB aka Build Your Own Burger for $6.99, and they have kobe beef and tuna, lots of kick a## burger toppings. Cheap Narragansetts and draft beer. Plus theres some eye candy that works there. :)

Great food at an affordable price. Walking distance from the show too.

keep in mind that the NCAA Basketball tournament is going on Saturday 12 to 8pm and there is also a Mary Kay Convention all weekend, sounds like cougar hunting season opens early this year.

JohnR
03-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Hey Ross - are you going to the show ^

BasicPatrick
03-18-2010, 03:39 PM
If RIRa is the same outift as in Portsmouth NH it is usually very decent food and good beer (my frieds told me about the beer)

UserRemoved1
03-18-2010, 05:03 PM
RIRA is a FANTASTIC restaurant. I ate there before.

Saltheart
03-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Luxe Burger Bar Providence Rhode Island (http://www.luxeburgerbar.com/)

shows the menu and beer list. Good selection of beers!

luds
03-18-2010, 06:12 PM

The hot dogs there are fantastic. :uhuh:

Thumper
03-18-2010, 06:18 PM
luds i would go usb or blakes

ThrowingTimber
03-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Murphys - walking distance decent pub grub

wickenden street is a drive but you got all sorts of food pizza-to sushi + you get the wickenden street pub great brew selection, sort of dark laid back sort of place unless they're doing raffles, then everyone gets out of control, but on a friday afternoon it'll probably be quiet or closed.

If you're looking for a sit down 20$+ entre sort of place try Cafe Noir get the chevre, bacon and onion fig tart!! I think I just made myself hungry :drool: (dragging the wife to the show with ya? decent place to go, good service good food not breaking the bank)

If you like Thai thats byob "Apsara" (its in the hood wear gang neutral colors) great food but its in a crumby neighborhood and the place is a bit run down. Huge menu they list about a million items AND you can bring your own beer.:buds:

Stopped into Trinity a few weeks ago and its gone downhill in a major way - sad really.

Breakfast/Lunch Julians on 318 Broadway
julian's providence (http://www.juliansprovidence.com/)
open 9am-5pm
They make a real good breakfast its in a good neighborhood and they have the killer beer menu :uhuh: breakfast/lunch/brunch sort of place. killer food for the price

I know its not exactly what you were looking for in terms of walking distance but if you plan to grub before the show check out Julians you wont be disappointed.

Young Salt
03-19-2010, 08:30 AM
The hot dogs there are fantastic. :uhuh:

Just don't eat the clams.

Sea Flat
03-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Personally, I can never pass up Fire and Ice.

Hooper
03-20-2010, 07:00 PM
We went today, stopped at Texas Roadhouse in Dartmouth coming home, nighty night!

Swimmer
03-21-2010, 10:43 AM
The Trinity gave up some good burgers and other chow for us yesterday. The "Nova" crowd weren't bad to hang with for an hour. There were three really cute chicks selling tickets out front to the game. It looked like their white slacks were sprayed on. They sold many, many tickets to the ball game.

basswipe
03-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I too like Blake's.

Mike P
03-21-2010, 06:05 PM
You guys are killing me here--the Convention Center is about a 5 minute walk from Atwells Ave. and Federal Hill, where you can get the best Italian food this side of NY. :doh:

Angelo's is reasonable and has some of the best veal marsalla I've ever had. :drool:

striperman36
03-21-2010, 06:25 PM
FOXY Lady open face sandwiches

Mr. Sandman
03-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Mike P is right. The Italian food along that street is really great...however you might get caught in the crossfire of a mob hit so keep your eyes open and always sit with your back to the wall.:devil2: