View Full Version : Input for boatrod needed

nightfighter
02-25-2003, 07:22 PM
OK, lemme hear some pros and cons as I weigh a new boat rod choice. Looking for something that can handle chunking, livelining, and throwing some plugs and rubba. Thinking 7, maybe 8 foot.
Thanks.
RRR

PNG
02-25-2003, 07:49 PM
St Croix FM70BK
This rod is tough as nails and can handle do almost all you ask. You are asking alot & from what I have seen there is no magic do everything rod. Where this rod would be lacking is throwing rubba. Does all else great.
Good luck
Chris

Saltheart
02-25-2003, 09:21 PM
I think you need a different rod for chunking and livelining than for plugging and tossing rubber.

Got Stripers
02-26-2003, 08:42 AM
I don't think there is such a rod, or if you find one that might happen to get by in all regards, your missing the boat in every area. I personally, but you know what I like to do, would much rather have the perfect plastic rod. Mind is light by anyones comparison and is built on a Lami GW84ML, but you'd be surprised what that little baby will do. Every day I'm out, I'm throwing above it's 3/4 oz rating, as my 5-1/2 inch split tails with weighted hook are closer to an 1 oz. You could go up to the MH and would probably be really happy, it's rated 5/8-1-1/2 oz.

My plugging and grubbing rod is to sweet, but damn pricey blank and at times I'm scared to even fish it, but it is the most sensitive blank I've ever had in my hands. It's a Lami Titanium 7'6" blank, built conventional and I can feel a bass breathing on a jig. I'll also use this rod for popping and plugs, eels and smaller chunks.

Saltheart
02-26-2003, 09:06 AM
You need something light like GS mentioned (rated about 1/2 OZ to 2 or 2.5) . You will be tossing some light jigs , rubber , and lighter plugs. For the other rod , you need something that will not break just lifting the live bait which I assume will be mostly herring. You don'yt have to cast the herring far like a surfcaster but you got to be able to lift it out of the water without worrying about breaking the rod. Something rated to cast about 4 to 6 OZ is probably good for your livelining and chunking. For some people , chunking means a clam. For some it means half a pogie. So I guess you need to chose the rod based on its ability to be used for livelining and it should be ok for most chunking.

Billy 40
02-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Something that might come close is the Calstar 700L. I use it to throw 2-4oz diamond jigs, as well as for Blackfishing with 10-(max)12oz sinkers. Mind you, it is not the ideal choice for the heavier sinkers, but it does a pretty good job. I do love this rod btw.

For the money you would spend on the Calstar (app: $95), you might be able to find 2 Rainshadow blanks which will fit both bills. You could also find a beater Ugle Stick blank for lik $30, use it for chunking (what is Uglier than chunking?) and get a RS for the lighter stuff. Assuming you don't want to break the bank right away.

If I were buying somethign to throw plugs and plastics from a boat, I'd probably get a Loomis L905, just because I always wanted one, and Lami CGBT841M for the chunking/livelining, although it may be too stiff for livelining.

macojoe
02-28-2003, 12:47 PM
I also like the St Croix F70M-BK and I have 4 of therm They are great for throwing plugs and platic.. I love them for Fluke fishing as this is the main thing I use them for. But I think you going to push it trying to chunk and live line with it.
Iagree with most you need different rods for different type of fishing.
I have 6 rods Surf rod, Bass rod, Fluke, Spinning ,wire rod, and one for black fish and sea bass.
All rods are conventional wit one Spinning for casting to top water stuff.
Good Luck
Macojoe

IFG
02-28-2003, 08:34 PM
St.Croix's are nice but look intothe Shimano's they drain your wallit but thier worth it. They are made from the highest quality components and are fully warrenteed. A good buy.