View Full Version : A new form of therapy....

FishermanTim
03-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I picked up a "middle-of-the-road" metal detector, and I'm planning to hit a couple of beach areas over the season, when I'm not fishing of course.
I hope to burn a few calories and hopefully make a few finds in the meantime.

Heck, I'd be happy just finding loose change in my sofa, but it's something I had been wanting to try for awhile.

JohnnyD
03-19-2010, 02:18 PM
How much? My girlfriend's parents just moved to Truro and I was thinking about talking with her and her brothers to see if they might want to go in together to get their dad one.

FishermanTim
03-19-2010, 02:53 PM
It all depends on what you would be looking for, and where you would be using it.
I paid just over $200.00 for the one I got, but that is about the middle ground in prices.
You can get a cheap kids' version for $50-$100, beginner range from $125 - $175, middle range from $200-$300 or one with all thge bells and whistles from $300-$400

It all depends on what you would be looking for, and what you are willing to spend.

Check out online stores for places like Whites Metal detectors, or even just check out Cabelas, BassPro or similar stores.
That should give you enough to start your search.

Good luck!

Clammer
03-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Scotty

call me of this ><><<:soon:

2na
03-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Johnny FYI, it is against policy to use a metal detector on the Seashore . The thought is that anything found on the beach belongs to the people, not some dedicated individual who has spent his time, money and effort diligently searching for treasure. I have seen them hassle many a person on the beach. One of my friends had a broken detector that he brought to the beach to keep the kids entertained (guess what? they didn't find anything) and a ranger pulled up and told him they had to stop. He explained that it didn't work, and she still wanted him to stop using it!!

I hope that they don't want all of those plugs and sea clams I've picked up over the years -

JohnnyD
03-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Johnny FYI, it is against policy to use a metal detector on the Seashore . The thought is that anything found on the beach belongs to the people, not some dedicated individual who has spent his time, money and effort diligently searching for treasure. I have seen them hassle many a person on the beach. One of my friends had a broken detector that he brought to the beach to keep the kids entertained (guess what? they didn't find anything) and a ranger pulled up and told him they had to stop. He explained that it didn't work, and she still wanted him to stop using it!!

I hope that they don't want all of those plugs and sea clams I've picked up over the years -

It's surprising that they let associations do beach cleanups. "Excuse me sir. You're gonna have to put all that trash back, it belongs to the people."

I wish they'd use that "belongs to the people" mentality from May-August.:wall:

Raven
03-22-2010, 11:47 AM
i'd like to see where that law is written

FishermanTim
03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Unless it is posted IN PLAIN SIGHT, FOR EVERYONE TO SEE, I will go where I please. My only stipulations are that I don't go on private property (without permission), and like in golf, I fill in my divets.
I fail to see how they could prevent you from treasure hunting on a public beach.
Now if you were in a State Park's boundaries they may have a say, but again if it isn't posted, I can and will bring my detector.

FishermanTim
03-22-2010, 01:02 PM
2na, I think you may be referring to the prohibition of activities in/on a wildlife preserve:

(k) No person, except with written permission of the Director of the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife or his authorized representative, shall, within the bounds of any wildlife sanctuary, dig, excavate, remove, disturb, or cause to be dug, excavated, removed, or disturbed, any archaeological or paleontological artifacts, remains, ruins, sites, fossils, or other objects of unusual historical or prehistorical antiquity

2na
03-22-2010, 02:19 PM
maybe that's it Tim - I just know that's the way it is there.

Feel free to query the CCNS (http://www.nps.gov/caco/contacts.htm) about it - maybe it will be entertaining. They have to respond to every question to them.

JohnnyD
03-22-2010, 02:49 PM
maybe that's it Tim - I just know that's the way it is there.

Feel free to query the CCNS (http://www.nps.gov/caco/contacts.htm) about it - maybe it will be entertaining. They have to respond to every question to them.

I've heard the same as you Mike. No treasure hunting on the national seashore. My understanding is that the life guarded portion of Little Coast Guard is fair game.

Mr. Sandman
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
My kids had a cheap one for years...they loved it found a lot of junk mainly, a couple cool coins and some jewelry. It was not a great unit. No one cares about looking on the beach out here.

Believe it or not, many people return jewelry that was found on the beach to the person who lost it. I read about it in the paper all the time. Guy finds wedding ring with inscription...finds the owner, sometimes it is 50 years later.:uhuh:

The serious units cost real money , you usually see the serious folks each fall scanning the state beaches. Mostly they find pocket change...but every now and again you pick up something more significant