View Full Version : E Tex on threads

Swimmer
03-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I have been wrapping rods for probably 25 years. I have always used flex coat to finish the wraps. Having just used Etex for the first time on my first turned plugs, liking the results tremendously, I was wondering if anyone else has given any thought to using Etex on the wraps as a finish, and if so, how did you like the finished product.

Saltheart
03-26-2010, 01:50 PM
I haven't used it but one important property of thread finish that most plain epoxies don't have much of is flexibility. That's why the most well known brand is called Flex Coat.

I now use Aftcore exclusively. Its the easiest to apply and after building my heated drying boxes , all the nightmare issues of its slow slow cure have disappeared.

Someday when I have the urge i want to try Threadmaster.

Swimmer
03-28-2010, 10:53 AM
The flexibilty issue was what concerned me. I was thinking of using Aftcoat, but I have quite of bit of flexcoat left. I may buy just enough to due a couple of rods that I have to build and see how I like it. Thanks Saltheart

afterhours
03-28-2010, 04:25 PM
frank- you'll :love: aftcoat .

mikecc
03-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Aftcoat is all I have used for the past 10 years.:love:

Saltheart
03-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Its hard to beat aftcote. Some say the Threadmaster light is the same as aftcote from a workability stanf point but it cures a little harder so there is more resistance to scratches. Some say it also stays clearer but aftcote is prettyy good at staying clear anyway.

I don't see anyone selling Threadmaster at a reasonable price so that's an issue with it. Its also not available locally as far as I know , you have to mail order it. The Threadmaster light is also a very slow cure like the aftcote thus the same nice workability but also the same issues with tackiness can still occur do to slow curing.

Interestingly enough , I have used just about every kind over the last ten years and have developed a way to make all of them work. When I first started I hated flexcoat high build because it had a low pot life but the root cause was me being to slow at applying. Now I have no issues with either Flexcoat light or High build.

Back Beach
03-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Been using Aftcote for many years on my rods and its a great product.

Has anyone tried it as a plug finish? Thinking of trying it out as I have a little left.

afterhours
03-29-2010, 07:38 PM
i've used it before- not bad at all....