View Full Version : Zane Grey on Fishing

Mr. Sandman
03-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I have never read a Zane Grey book but I was looking for audio books on fishing for my iPhone. They had this book, I downloaded it. I figured I would listen to it while on ferry and traveling on the bus to and from my sons hockey games.

Wow, you forget what real writing is. There are so many books written today by wannabe authors and some of them while informative are written in simple English, easy to read but gets kind of boring after a while. This is so well written with an incredible selection of descriptive words, I seem to have a smile on my face the entire time.

This is a must read (or in my case listen)

Plum Crazy
03-26-2010, 04:19 PM
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."
Zane Grey

Sea Dangles
03-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Check out "Tales of swordfish and tuna"a compilation of first hand fishing excursions.Zane spent over 300 days a year on the water.He held countless world records at one point.His stories of tuna fishing in Nova Scotia are insane given the gear and the size of the tuna he was catching.

On adifferent note,I would recommend "Down at the docks" by Rory Nugent.A nonfiction based on the past and current New Bedford.....

Swimmer
03-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Several years ago I went to Nova Scotia and visited the tuna museum at Wedgeport and there were several prominent pictures of Zane Grey fishing Soldier's Rip hanging on the wall. Very prolific fisherman/sportsman.

animal
03-27-2010, 06:57 PM
I read "Tales of fishing virgin seas",by Grey.While I'm jealous as hell,of the life he led,I can't say I respect him any as a conservationist.

Dick Durand
03-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Zane Grey was more a fisherman than I realized. I've read about his fly fishing exploits for trout in the Northwest.

Joe
03-28-2010, 08:43 AM
He did a lot of formulaic western novellas - that constituted the much of his writing, far more than fishing. They were very popular at the time.

InTheHole
03-29-2010, 09:40 AM
On adifferent note,I would recommend "Down at the docks" by Rory Nugent.A nonfiction based on the past and current New Bedford.....[/QUOTE]

I read this one over the summer, a very interesting book. Lots of insight into comm. fishing out of NB over the years.