View Full Version : DUI " doesnt pay!! what a night !

eelman
05-08-2000, 07:31 AM
First off the night was going great! I had a few fish (my first fish at night) on yo-zuri plugs.Nothing big,but,it was nice to catch fish under the stars again!!

I packed it in around 1am.Im driving home and Im the only guy on the road (so I thought)
Suddenly,I look up in my rear view mirror and see this car coming at me from behind at what seems like a 100mph.I had no time to react! I thought it was all over!At the very last moment the car somehow mises me and I mean by an inch at best!!

The car does a 360 right in front of me,almost flips over and ends up taking out five cars on a used car lot before it finally came to rest on the driver's side.

I jacked up on my brakes! thru the truck in park and jumped out to see how bad they were hurt!!The impact against those cars was absoulutly incredible!!

By this time another car had also stoped,When I got to the car I was amazed to see both occupants talking! I told them not to move incase they had injuries they were not aware of.

At this time also I could smell alchol bigtime!! The guy gets out of the car and approches me! Grabs me by the shirt, and tells me to "keep my mouth shut" And not tell the cops he was in the car,He wouldent let go,After what I thought was fair warning for him to let go of my shirt like the slobbering drunk that he was,He wouldent, so, I reard back and cold cocked the guy! The cops show up in minutes!! and by this time a good size crowd has gateherd.The girl who was driving was administerd a sobriety test and, immidietly handcuffed and arrested for DUI.The police had to chase the guy and grab him,It was then determined that he had illegal drugs of some sort and, he was also arrested.

I didnt get home till 3am and, Im still shaken up over it,I could have been easily KILLED!!

Lukily some homeowner saw the scene and, the cops had no problem at all with me defending myself.Imagine,I was trying to help, and the guy grabs me??? what gives??

I am totaly 100% against drinking and driving!! I dont mind a binge at home but, Not when you mix a vehicle in with it.

I feel lucky to be alive! and see my family again!!

And I thought I was just out for a quiet night of fishing.....Dont drink and drive!!!! Fish Instead!!

MartyK
05-08-2000, 10:05 AM
The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. I have some relatives and friends who are police officers, and what you described may be unusual for you, but for them it's an everyday occurrence. A few years ago some idiot killed himself one block away from my house doing 80 in a 35 mile per hour zone (after sideswiping a van with a two adults and several children in it). His family tried to claim the police caused the accident by chasing him. I signed a statement saying that I reached the scene on foot before I ever heard a siren, let alone see a police car. The fact that he had already hit three cars in two other towns in the past few hours had nothing to do with anything according to the family. Good riddance.

JohnR
05-08-2000, 10:46 AM
Hey, I'm just glad you all are OK. Reminds us that we still need to stay alert even after an all night fishing session. Anything can happen like when "Flip" was coming north on Rt1 and had that collision with the deer after a long night of fishing....

Wendy
05-08-2000, 04:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your close call. It's a shame that , in this day and age, you're almost afraid to offer your help to someone, for fear of recieving a reaction like the one you described. You're very lucky that you were alert and in control. I'm sure you've had some late nights fishing when that wasn't the case. I know I'm tired after being out there for a few hours during the day, never mind at night. Someone is looking out for you.

Saltheart
05-08-2000, 05:11 PM
I see so many accidents either coming or going from fishing , its amazing. I guess its the hours we keep. Glad you made it home in one piece Bill.

fisherwoman
05-09-2000, 09:35 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, sorry to hear about the incident, glad you are ok to fish another day. These people thank drink and do drugs should take up fishing and see the real high in life. As I said gland to hear that you are OK. It is not a bad thing that you stopped either, you never know it could have been someone you know or an innocent family that that happened to. I'm glad that the cops got the little prick!!