View Full Version : Cuttyhunk Help.......maybe?

chefchris401
03-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Hey guys need some info, PM me if you dont want to share with everyone else.

Looking to do my first trip to cuttyhunk this season and need some pointers.

I understand you can take the ferry over from NB for a decent rate.

What about transport once on the island? How do you get to the better fishing spots, gear, etc.

Was planning on going for maybe a few days like mon thru wed type thing, weekends are out for me.

Any suggestions on places to stay that are reasonibly priced, dont care if theyre not 4 stars or even one star just a place to crash and maybe a shower.

Ive done some research but still need some better info.

What about times of the year, fall run or earlier.

having never been there or fish it, Im going in blind, so any info would help.

Thanks,
Chris

hyefisherman2
03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
kind of an off topic question...but will there be a bunch of guys going over this spring like years past?

if so me and a few others on this site would be interested in attending! thanks

Islander77
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
skip cutty go to Block and save the xtra time to turn some stuff... Had to give ya a hard time lol

Redsoxticket
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Don't know where you did your research because all you need to know is here. Use the advanced search feature. There are valuable posts that will unlikely get repeated.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

chefchris401
03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Ill probably just stick to montauk seeing i have a free place to stay anytime, 4 minutes from the light house too.

would like to fish cutty or the block this year though.

late-start
03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
-Sea Horse Water Taxi out of New Bedford is usually the best bet
-You should be able to find decent mid-week housing and the options are some what limited so what you find online is what there is.
-Other than a small general store, a souvenir shop and an occasional hot-dog stand there is nothing on the island; so you need to bring everything with you that you might need
-Transportation is easy and free on the island: your feet. Everyplace you want/need to get to is done so with walking. The cross island trails are fine but the shoreline is rocky and can kick your ass.
- spring/fall both can be great, but like anyplace there is no guarantee

Islander77
03-30-2010, 02:53 AM
Ill probably just stick to montauk seeing i have a free place to stay anytime, 4 minutes from the light house too.

would like to fish cutty or the block this year though.

Im sure on some of the Zombie missions we can find room for another on the block... And sometimes we even get to sleep and not in trucks/ on beach grass... :rotf2:

wheresmy50
03-30-2010, 02:57 AM
If you're new to the island, I recommend staying at the club. The water taxi is best if there are a bunch of you, and especially the best for coming back since you can leave earlier than 4pm - especially if you have a drive ahead of you. You'll bring and cook your own food. Take acutal food, don't live on sandwiches for 4 days. Go in June or September. I plan on 2 beers a day, used as sedatives for sleeping. Take 2 pairs of waders with felt or spikes soles. Trying to borrow a pair after yours rip may prove difficult. Standard walking rules apply - take a fillet knife and large zip lock bags out with you if you keep fish.

If you want my highly biased opinion - needlefish, needlefish, needlefish. Bring every one you have.

Just google the ferry. It's neither hard to find nor hard to reserve.

Those are all the tips you're getitng out of me.

Duke41
03-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Theres monsta's out there.

GattaFish
03-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Cutty where???? Who???:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

Team rock
03-30-2010, 08:55 AM
If you have not already go to www.surfcasterjournal.com magazine Z share some exspeirence in both issuse, i believe in his book he talks some Cutty. It`s high on my list as well. I have not read to much of DJ Muller but he most likly has some info as well. But if Mecca [Montauk] was FREE it be hard to venture a diff road. Cutty just like any where don`t have high exspectation [high let down] on catching monster. Also if you like a drink it`s a dry Island.... I don`t believe there a tackle shop either [surf].

DJ Muller
03-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Cutty can be heaven...or Cutty can be hell. It is a crap shoot. One week everybody hits 30's the next week everybody gets a couple dinks.
As in any situation, work hard and smart, and hope the big girls are in town.

chefchris401
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the info guys and to everyone who sent me a PM.

I understand cutty can be a gamble but so can any place.

Thanks again and looking forward to checking cutty off my list this season.

the point
04-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Cris I only boat fished Cutty and the Block and last year the Block was better then Cutty. But then again you neva know. I will be fishing both this year from shore.

luds
04-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Cutty can be heaven...or Cutty can be hell. It is a crap shoot. One week everybody hits 30's the next week everybody gets a couple dinks.
As in any situation, work hard and smart, and hope the big girls are in town.

The thing with Cutty that I love is as long as it's not too snotty you always have a beer and a cigar on the clubs front lawn as a fall back and other than fishing out there you can't really beat that.

Islander77
04-01-2010, 09:39 AM
The thing with Cutty that I love is as long as it's not too snotty you always have a beer and a cigar on the clubs front lawn as a fall back and other than fishing out there you can't really beat that.

And with the Block if it is to snotty to fish... You have The Albion, depending on schedules also Beach head, Mohegans and as always the airport for breakfast... Or Bluebird and some beer and a cigar at any of the locations....

bassballer
04-01-2010, 09:47 AM

Theres something about that cold beer at 6 a.m on the club deck after a loong night of fishing that makes it the best beer youve ever had.

DJ Muller
04-01-2010, 09:53 AM

Amen to that!!!
Few better places that I have found!

(Of course my wife thinks I'm nuts!!)

DJ Muller
04-01-2010, 09:56 AM
And with the Block if it is to snotty to fish... You have The Albion, depending on schedules also Beach head, Mohegans and as always the airport for breakfast... Or Bluebird and some beer and a cigar at any of the locations....

Theres something about that cold beer at 6 a.m on the club deck after a loong night of fishing that makes it the best beer youve ever had.

Amen to alll this too!!!!

Right on!! Cold beer for breakfast! :uhuh:
Eggs and sausage and then hit the rack.

77-Although I don'tknow if the Airport people would like the cigar and beer thing. :biglaugh:

Islander77
04-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Amen to alll this too!!!!

Right on!! Cold beer for breakfast! :uhuh:
Eggs and sausage and then hit the rack.

77-Although I don'tknow if the Airport people would like the cigar and beer thing. :biglaugh:

DJ the beer .. Depends on whos working and what "season" it is lmao.. the Cigar would be an outside thing.. I dont worry bout were I am gonna drink a beer usually when there cause if it to wind down and relax.... Its on the back deck of the grandfathers house..