View Full Version : Squid here?

Mr. Sandman
03-31-2010, 07:59 AM
I am going thru woods hole right now... And there is a stream of draggers headed out. I bet I saw 15 boats it looked like a race. I wonder if some season opened today?

maddmatt
03-31-2010, 08:58 AM
are they flukin??

MakoMike
03-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Lots of stuff open for the commercials right now. Most likely they are all headed out now due to the storm abating.

JackK
03-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Lots of stuff open for the commercials right now. Most likely they are all headed out now due to the storm abating.

Yup, trying to make some loot now that it's laid down a bit out there. Normally most boats start goin' after the squid hard mid to late April.

Fly Rod
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
WRONG!!!! :smash: :wall:

It is the last day of commercial fishing for awhile. The rolling closures start on April 1st, all gear needs to be out of the water by midnight March 31st. The rolling closure areas begin to open up June 1st south of the 42.30 line, this line is just below Halfway Rk., and then on June 1st it opens north of the 42.30 line.

This is good news for recreational fishing, the cod will be plentiful in a couple of weeks with no harassment from the commercial gillnetters catching and dumping thousands of pounds.

The bad news for rec's is that until April 15th you can only take two cod per person under 75 pounds(U canot have more then 75lbs. of cod) You can take 10 cod per person after the 15th.

If you are not sure check with Mass. division of Marine Fisheries. :)

JackK
03-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Isn't that just gulf of maine though? Southern new england isn't closed...

piemma
03-31-2010, 03:02 PM
I have a good size school of squid in the basement just North of the oil tank and headed toward the washer/dryer.:fury:

PRBuzz
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
I am going thru woods hole right now... And there is a stream of draggers headed out. I bet I saw 15 boats it looked like a race. I wonder if some season opened today?

You going to be out on the water again tomorrow? I'll be launching from Fairhaven/New Bedford and think I'll be riding up/through woods hole and maybe down the Elizabeth's to Robinson/Quicks hole? Need hours for breaking in an engine, not fishing.

Anyone want to go for a ride? Scout areas?

Mr. Sandman
03-31-2010, 06:52 PM
I need to stay home tomorrow and work on my taxes:wall:

Fly Rod
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Check the following, it seems that Mass. Marine Fisheries has dropped the 2 codfish per person this year for rec's

Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Division of Marine Fisheries
251 Causeway Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02114
(617) 626.1520
Fax (617) 626.1509
Deval Patrick
Governor
Ian Bowles
Secretary
Mary B. Griffin
Commissioner

March 30, 2010
MarineFisheries Advisory

Clarification of April cod closure rules in Massachusetts portion of the Gulf of Maine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This advisory explains the current state rules governing cod harvest by recreational fishermen in the waters north of Cape Cod.

Background: In April of 2009, NMFS enacted restrictions as part of the so-called Interim Groundfish Rule affecting the recreational cod fishery in the Gulf of Maine by extending the existing 5-month (November – March) closed season an additional 15 days through April 15th. For the past two years, Massachusetts has had similar closures governing the for-hire sector, however private anglers in state waters were allowed to retain 2 cod per person not to exceed 75 lbs. per vessel.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts did not take complementary actions to match the Interim Rules concerning the first 15 days of April. Consequently, during April 1-15, recreational fishermen fishing in the Commonwealth’s waters north of Cape Cod may take up to 10 cod per person, but may not possess cod taken from federal waters or while in federal waters. For-hire vessel operators with federal permits are bound by the more restrictive federal measures (i.e., no possession of cod) regardless of where they fish. Please note that commercial fishing for cod and other multispecies groundfish is closed during all of April and May in all waters under the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth from Cape Cod to the NH border.

DMF urges all anglers to abide by the federal closure when in federal waters. Those with federal for-hire permits seeking to participate in the recreational fishery in state waters during April 1-15 can contact NMFS at 978-281-9200 to determine what options may be available.

MakoMike
04-01-2010, 09:44 AM
WRONG!!!! :smash: :wall:

It is the last day of commercial fishing for awhile. The rolling closures start on April 1st, all gear needs to be out of the water by midnight March 31st. The rolling closure areas begin to open up June 1st south of the 42.30 line, this line is just below Halfway Rk., and then on June 1st it opens north of the 42.30 line.

This is good news for recreational fishing, the cod will be plentiful in a couple of weeks with no harassment from the commercial gillnetters catching and dumping thousands of pounds.

The bad news for rec's is that until April 15th you can only take two cod per person under 75 pounds(U canot have more then 75lbs. of cod) You can take 10 cod per person after the 15th.

If you are not sure check with Mass. division of Marine Fisheries. :)

The only applies for the Gulf of Maine, in case you don't have a chart handy, the area we are talking about is south of the Gulf of Maine, in what's called "southern New England." Also, fluke, sea bass, scup, squid, butterfish, mackerel, haddock and several other species are all open to commercial fishing right now.