View Full Version : Adjustable Pitch Props?

Cool Beans
04-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Was looking into buying a small kicker motor for trolling when the West Marine guy showed me som Adjustable pitch props called Pro-Pulse (I think that what he called them) that would be able to adjust to where my low idle boat speed would be around 2 knots instead of the 5 knots it is now. was mush cheaper than a motor, quoted me $198 for one that would fit my merc 175. Has anyone used these or have any info that would help me out on my decision about purchasing one? thanks. :fishin:

Rick Ackley
04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Although changing the blades to allow better slow trolling seems like it will work, I am sure this is going to wreck havoc on the other end of the throttle.

Cool Beans
04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
these looked to have some type of composite blades with 4 adjusting allen/screws that allow you to change the pitch of each blade for different types of boating. I rarely need to go 35 knots, which is top speed for the boat, so even is it slowed me down to 20-25 knot top speed would be fine for fishing. I was wonderign if anyone has heard or tried these before. You can also purchase each blade seperately in case you break/damage one instead of replacing the whole prop. Maybe I will be the test boat for this. The guy told you can adjust them while on the water, but I dont see myself leaning out over the prop while in the water unless I "find" a just submerged lobster pot bouy.

Thanks and I think I will give the prop a try, unless someone posts some negative side effects, that I cant live with, like "it vibrated the boat boat so bad you'll lose a filling"...
:fishin:

fishsmith
04-08-2010, 07:20 AM
to many moving parts on a moving part is my concern.

To slow your troll speed, raise the motor so the thrust pushes up.

wrench
04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
you might be able to slow it down with just a prop pitch size change.
What size prop do you have now and what is your WOT RPM?

Mike

freebie
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
was going to let this one be and hope that that you wouldn't spend your money. those props are junk. they don't have enough rigidity to allow and kind of high speed thrust. getting up on plane would be a real problem from what I've seen. we remove them for people all the time because the bought them thinking the same thing as you and they hated the performance.

sokinwet
04-09-2010, 09:35 AM
drift sock...much cheaper....5 gal. bucket...cheaper still and a source of amusement for your friends when you take off dragging the bucket.

Cool Beans
04-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks! I think Ill try the drift sock, bucket idea! that seems like a good idea. Ive tried tilting the motor up, but it still trolls a lil too fast. maybe a combo tilt/bucket will do the trick. seems a lot better than throwing more money down right now. thanks again for all the responses.

C.B.
:fishin: