View Full Version : Fishing Shows?

Blitzseeker
12-06-2000, 09:38 AM
Does anyone have a list of the Boston area winter fishing shows this year? If you do, could you post the dates and locations?

The one in Plymouth was the best one last year...hopefully they are going to do that one again. In fact, I believe that is where I first heard of this site.

I'd also be interested in the date/time of any Boston, Providence, Worcester or Springfield shows. I tried a few of these last year, but would likely only go to one of them this year. They were mixed hunting/freshwater fishing/saltwater fishing.....not quite as useful for me.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

JohnR
12-06-2000, 10:02 AM
Blitz, I must have met you there at Cordage Park as I was running the incredibly large booth for this massive website.

Unfortunately, I don't think that we (Mass Striped Bass Assoc) have the same place this year. Its a shame because it was a great show. I'll have details probably within the next month or so on dates/locations for the Mass Bass show. Rumor is that it will be 2 days this year because of the success of last year, previously it was a one day event.

The info should be available for the other big shows soon. There is also the upcoming RodBuilders show in Hartford in January...

Jenn
12-08-2000, 01:19 AM
Blitz....not exactly sure of a date but if I remember correctly the springfield one is late Jan. to early Feb. sometime....I will keep you posted....

Mike P
12-08-2000, 10:52 AM
The Worcester show is usually in early February. It's more of a total outdoors show, like the one up in Suffern, NY--in fact, it's run by the same promoter and most of the exhibitors do both. It's basically a chance for a hands-on look at all the new stuff you've read about on the 'net. Don't look for any real bargains at the retail booths--they have to offset the cost of exhibiting.

The best show, hands-down, for the saltwater fisherman is the Mass Bass show. I've been helping out an exhibitor (Hawg Hunter Lures) for 3 years now, and last year's show at Cordage Park was the best fishing show I've ever been to. The best part was, I got in for free and MSBA bought me lunch both days :) I came "thisclose" to buying a beautiful custom All Star 1209 rod from Hatteras Jack. Had I known he'd gotten ripped off, I would have bought it even though I didn't really need it. CMS also had a nice Lami XRA 1205 for a great price that tempted me.

JohnR
12-08-2000, 07:58 PM
The MSBA show really was great. I'll try to find out the details for the upcoming event this weekend as I'm meeting up with some of my fellow massb#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s :D Hopefully it will be two days this year but unfortunately it won't be at Cordage Park (at least last I heard)..

Slipknot
12-08-2000, 09:13 PM
That's a shame if it's not at Cordage Park again John,I thought that was by far the best show last year. I went with my Dad and he got a good deal on a canal rod from CMS with a reel also. I talked him into custom finally,he'll appreciate it when he gets his first keeper at the canal.

Mike, is that lami 1205 a good rod for the ditch? My wife thru a surprise B'day party for me last Sat. nite and I have tackle money to spend. Currently I have a Sabre 9' spin but I would like to get a conventional for the ditch to do jigging and plugs , maybe eels or rigged eels. I was thinking the Abu 6500 BG reel or should I go with the 7000 size? I may try capecodtackle this time. Thanks, slipknot

Mike P
12-08-2000, 10:31 PM
Slipknot, the 1205 is a good general purpose rod. It'll work in the Ditch although if you're going to be jigging primarily, the heavier 126 1MH is better. But it's too stiff to cast live eels. John has the 1205 blank, too, he ordered it as a "blem" from Anglers' Workshop--although they don't have any more :(

Mike T doesn't stock the Arra blanks on a regular basis altho I'm sure he could order them.

As far as the reel goes, the 6500 is OK if you're going to use a braided line like Power Pro or Whiplash. It'll hold enough 50# to have a safe cushion. If you prefer Spectron, 35# is the better choice. For mono or Fireline, go with a reel in the 7000 size.

Slipknot
12-09-2000, 08:31 AM
Thanks Mike, I could always stick to the sabre for eels. and I like fireline on my spin but I would try whiplash or spectron on the conv. I just got a Mitchell neptune from Tim S. can't wait to try it, I was thinking of spooling it up with 65# whiplash. Later

BUBBA
12-09-2000, 10:54 AM
AS OF THURSDAY NIGHT E-BOARD MEETING THE ONLY PLACE THAT WILL LET US HAVE A 2 DAY SHOW IS AT THE BRAINTREE AMRY.CORTAGE PARK WILL NOT COMITT SO THEY DECIDED TO LOOK ELSEWHERE.SO AS OF NOW THATS WHERE WE ARE HAVING IT!!

JohnR
12-09-2000, 05:41 PM
Would have been nice to repeat at Cortage...

Slipknot,
You can try e-mailing lamiglas. I might have the e-mail address at work. But one fellow there was able to get us some even though they were not listed at Anglers... We got 4 of those XRA1205 blem blanks last year when they became available after Lami builds out the surf blanks around this time every year... Keep in mind that alot more people prefer the All-Stars over the Lamis since the word got out in the last few years. You might wish to see Mike T whether he builds it or you do one yourself...

Slipknot
12-09-2000, 06:05 PM
I think I am obsessed, I sitting here replying and the babysitter is here , we are ready to go out the door, someone help me please my wife gave up long ago.

John , they have a site www.lamiglas.com also there are some closeouts listed. Maybe I'll keep an eye on that site for a while. Also I may just buy an off the rack rod at M&D's he showed me either an Allstar or a Breakaway can't remember. Ditch says the Allstar gsw1209 is a good allaround for the ditch. What about the Breakaway100H?

Mike P
12-10-2000, 11:20 AM
Slipknot---same rod. The Breakaway factory 100H is built on the 1209 All Star blank. With the factory rod, you're stuck with the reel seat and guide placements they give you. Try one on for size--for me, the seat is too high up.

It's not a good rod for live eels--way too stiff. Rigged eel, maybe. Otherwise, it works for other things in the Ditch.

JohnR
12-10-2000, 12:36 PM
Well, I had hoped to go to a combination Christmas/Suprise Birthday party last night with some fellow members of MSBA but my plans were dashed as my wife had about 3 hours of sleep yesterday and Liam was a bit cranky... So, I'll have the info on the show when available...

chris L
12-10-2000, 03:18 PM
Let me be the first
John welcome to fatherhood .

Slipknot
12-10-2000, 04:50 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll check out the reel seat. I did see J Powers' rod at the ditch one day but he has a spin. And as far as eels go I'll stick with the Sabre spin 9' for now.

Ya I was gonna say I sensed a little tension in John's posts a couple days ago but I kind of figured that's just from the stress level being elevated at home , I've been there and still there. But the posatives of parenthood by far outweigh the negatives. Merry Christmas! Happy Hannukah! Cool Kwanza!

JohnR
12-10-2000, 07:55 PM
Me? Tense? What the he... Just because of the four hours of daily commuting to work and several baby breaks every night, the doesn't mean I'm TENSE, does it?? Hehehe, wink-wink... Actually, the thing the gets me the most is how little I can help out my wife with all of this. When the baby wakes up the whole neighborhood, I can at least go back to sleep. She must stay up with my son for feedings that most of us are not atonomically prepared to give...

Thanks ChrisL, sometimes I feel more like the welcome mat with all of this :-D

Jenn
12-11-2000, 12:10 AM
FOUR HOURS???!!!are you crazy??? My hubby does two hours and I think thats too much! that is precious time !! :)

JohnR
12-11-2000, 09:17 AM
Well, its two hours in and two hours back, yeh - kinda sucks...

chris L
12-11-2000, 09:32 AM
John
Youll be the door mat , the bag man , the honey can you get me . And thats all we can be for now when your son gets alittle older its time for you to help then . So dont feel like you dont contribute just being there for your wife is plenty she knows you want to do more . But remember that 2hr ride in and out of work your wife wants to make sure you get home everynight , dont feel completely useless . Oops oh my god a flashback . Im in my psychiatrists office and shes asking me oh oh did I just say that . nevermind