View Full Version : Century rod blanks

Saltheart
04-08-2010, 12:11 PM
At the MASSBASS show , Ryan from Hatteras Jacks had a bunch of Century rod blanks. Now century has been around a long time and may well be the best blanks available anywhere. The trouble was that their best technology blanks made by autoclaving didn't fit well into the striper surf fishing niche. It appears like there are a few new models now that do fit the needs of a striper surf fisherman. I need to check into more details at the century site and then late again with Ryan but I'm curious as to whether anyone here has a Century blank they built on or a finished rod they bought using one of these new models and if so , what did you think of them? These are just coming out so my guess is if your Century is a year old , its probably not one of the newer ones.

I have a century tip tornado light which IMO will outcast anything in its class but its just a little too heavy for stripers less than say 34 to 36 inches because they barely bend the rod. Its perfect for casting at the canal though.

Any info from anyone here?

tobias
04-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey Mike, I've got the 12' (rated to 8oz) Century that Ryan had at the show on order. The 12' was the blank he just got from Century a couple of days before the show. The blank was bought by Gary Soldati. I hope to have the blank in a couple of weeks. I owned the Century TTUL and was told by Ryan that the 12' Century is a step up in power from the TTUL. Will give you more of review once I get it in my hands and get it built.

At the MASSBASS show , Ryan from Hatteras Jacks had a bunch of Century rod blanks. Now century has been around a long time and may well be the best blanks available anywhere. The trouble was that their best technology blanks made by autoclaving didn't fit well into the striper surf fishing niche. It appears like there are a few new models now that do fit the needs of a striper surf fisherman. I need to check into more details at the century site and then late again with Ryan but I'm curious as to whether anyone here has a Century blank they built on or a finished rod they bought using one of these new models and if so , what did you think of them? These are just coming out so my guess is if your Century is a year old , its probably not one of the newer ones.

I have a century tip tornado light which IMO will outcast anything in its class but its just a little too heavy for stripers less than say 34 to 36 inches because they barely bend the rod. Its perfect for casting at the canal though.

Any info from anyone here?

Saltheart
04-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks Tobias. I am particularly interested in the newer and lighter autoclaved models. Is the one you mentioned autoclaved? Being a MIT materials guy and having 35 years experience , I am sure the autoclaving will produce the best properties. In the past , they only autoclaved the heavier rods. Supposedly some of these lighter models are also being autoclaved now. Know anything about that?

JohnR
04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
WTH is Autoclaved :tooth: ?

Saltheart
04-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Eseentially they are bagged and put under presuure while curing to eliminate any bubbles etc and to assure the best bonding of the epoxy matrix to the fibers. An autoclave is a general term for something like a pressure cooker. It doesn't take much extra pressure in some cases. the trick is to be sure there is no leakage of the outside high pressure air into the inside of the bag. its the difference between inside the bag and outside the bag that does all the good.

JohnR
04-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Ahhh, kinda like vacuum bagged composite construction...

Saltheart
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
yep. In the case of the rod blanks its also done in an oven

Islander77
04-08-2010, 06:45 PM
WTH is Autoclaved :tooth: ?

Autoclaved... ADJ: Meaning was in an autoclave...

An autoclave is a device used for the last many a year in hospitals and doctors offices as a form of sterilazation. For the instruments not the paitent. Usually its around 350 degree steam at 15 psi for 45 mins kills bacteria. Tattoo shops also by law have to have an autoclave for steralization. So essentially your new century blank is beyond clean, its sterile lol...

tobias
04-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Hey Mike, the 12' model is autoclaved. Not sure on the rest though.

Thanks Tobias. I am particularly interested in the newer and lighter autoclaved models. Is the one you mentioned autoclaved? Being a MIT materials guy and having 35 years experience , I am sure the autoclaving will produce the best properties. In the past , they only autoclaved the heavier rods. Supposedly some of these lighter models are also being autoclaved now. Know anything about that?