View Full Version : Fishing plier recommendation

nightfighter
04-10-2010, 06:48 AM
What are you using, what do you like, dislike. I am not going to be spending crazy money.....

Thumper
04-10-2010, 07:06 AM
try to stop in at a bass pro shop and pick up the brownings. online they are $50 but in the stores they are usally on sale for $25. very decent pliers for the money imho

basswipe
04-10-2010, 07:12 AM
The Shimano pliers are pretty decent for the price.

I wipe them down regularly with Sentry Solution's Marine Tuf-Cloth and they stay nice and new.

MikeToole
04-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Second vote for the browning.

Justfishin'
04-10-2010, 07:39 AM
The ones I have now are Mustaad, the pair I had(and lost) before were South Bend, I think the pair before that I bought at the Surfcaster or Cabela's etc.. Plain, 8" stainless steel needle nose, the cutters will cut mono and wire. I use them to remove hooks and cut leaders and they work just fine. They usually cost under $15, last at least 4- 5 seasons if I don't lose them( I have lost them all so far). I don't need to have a lanyard to get tangled up in, the only thing I did invest in was a good sheath, a Ripoff which I've had forever.
What can I say, I'm frugal. I've lost, say 4 pair in 8-9 seasons, still way ahead of $300+ Van Staal, Abel, etc.

Just after I posted this I read about the Browning plier- those do look pretty good, I'd like to see them.

t.orlando
04-10-2010, 07:43 AM
I use the Brownings, good pliers, but the sheath sucks

Islander77
04-10-2010, 07:56 AM
try to stop in at a bass pro shop and pick up the brownings. online they are $50 but in the stores they are usally on sale for $25. very decent pliers for the money imho

Well next time your there grab a pair for me Thmper... lol I dont get by there much

Thumper
04-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Well next time your there grab a pair for me Thmper... lol I dont get by there much

me either anymore since the office moved, used to be right down the road when i worked in norwood.

MAC
04-10-2010, 08:08 AM
The Brownings are great pliers for the money. I have a pair and when on salecan't be beat. Last October I dropped mine off the jetty at the nuke plant (water was about 4' deep). Figured they were gone forever.

The following week I was on the same jetty and it was a really low tide. I climbed over the rock and low and behold there were my pliers. Still worked fine and looked great. (mind you these were through 28 sets of tides; dry/wet,dry,wet etc)

Brought them home and a quick shot of WD and good as new.

like TO said; the sheath sux.

chrisjoe13
04-10-2010, 08:32 AM
I've had good luck with the brownings. First person to Pm me their address can have a set of replacement blades. I waited too long to change the blades on mine and there is no way those little nuts are ever coming out.

BigFish
04-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I do have the VS and its the best $250.00 (bought 6 years ago?) I have spent on any one piece of fishing equipment by far! While my plier spending stops at $250.00 (they will last my lifetime) you $25 a pair guys will far exceed the cost of a pair of VS in just a few years.....penny wise and pound foolish! It is the single most important piece of equipment you carry when fishing! Just my .02 cents!

MAC
04-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I do have the VS and its the best $250.00 (bought 6 years ago?) I have spent on any one piece of fishing equipment by far! While my plier spending stops at $250.00 (they will last my lifetime) you $25 a pair guys will far exceed the cost of a pair of VS in just a few years.....penny wise and pound foolish! It is the single most important piece of equipment you carry when fishing! Just my .02 cents!

Still a ton of dough for pliers. I have a pair of Manleys that are atleast 10 years old and still work fine. They look like hell and won't cut braid but will still cut a 4/0 hook....

Will your VS pliers cut a 4/0 ?

Ask Tagger if the manleys are worth it.:uhuh:

chrisjoe13
04-10-2010, 08:47 AM

Rod and reel might be more important.

Adam_777
04-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Grabbed a pair of these this year.I'll let you know next year how they worked.

P-Line Fishing Line, Tackle and Accessories (http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=622)

JohnnyD
04-10-2010, 09:31 AM
$3 needlenose from Job Lot. Had the set in my canal bag for over 3 years now (only reason I replaced my last pair was because I lost them). Zap some WD40 on them once a week and they open/close easily.

That puts me at about 87 years before the VS are worth it - and lose a $3 pair of pliers, go to the truck and grab another; lost the VS pliers, cry myself to sleep that night. Not to mention I keep a pair in my surf bag, the boat bag, canal bag, my truck and 2 pairs at home.

Way more things I need to spend money on than $250 pliers or a $250 Boga.

Crafty Angler
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Rosco, I bought a set of 11" Calcutta needlenose last year, about $18 or so

If you only need 'em once for a deep-hooked fish you'd rather release if you can, they're worth it

They did well last year both from the surf and the boat, virtually no rust

Bronko
04-10-2010, 10:36 AM

I agree with Tony. They are solid pliers for the $$. The sheath is a pain in the ass. I just picked up a pair with a gift certificate for thgis season. I have used them for the last few years and recommend them.

MAKAI
04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Being an electrician, my pals all inherit my klein needle nose, bullet proof. My own have been in use 25 years, still work just fine a little lube once and a while.

BigFish
04-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Still a ton of dough for pliers. I have a pair of Manleys that are atleast 10 years old and still work fine. They look like hell and won't cut braid but will still cut a 4/0 hook....

Matter of fact have used them to cut 3/0 and 4/0 before...have never changed the teetheither, still cut great!:uhuh:

BigFish
04-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Rod and reel might be more important.

I mean besides them!:smash: Do you carry a good pair of cutters with you?? Because you should!

chrisjoe13
04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I mean besides them!:smash: Do you carry a good pair of cutters with you?? Because you should!

I carry these. :jump1:

Mike P
04-10-2010, 07:02 PM

My Manleys are at least 25 years old and they still cut a 4x strong 5/0 hook ;)

They've cut hundreds of them in the past and they'll also still cut 30-40# mono.

tattoobob
04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I have the Shimano pliers, good for the price work well and will last about 3 years,

I have Cabelas 11 inch rusty as hell great for deep hooked fish and awesome for unhooking blues

I have the Brownings great pliers for the 50 bucks after a few years I can't get the screws out to replace the cutters, like T.O. said the sheath is a piece of crap, lasts about 6 months

I have the Van Staal 7 inch these things are sweet best pliers ever made, they will not cut a VMC 4/0 4x hook with out breaking the cutters, 40 bucks to replace cutters. the sheath does not have a drain hole and fills with water when deep wading, also it stained my seat in my explorer when moving from spot to spot.
would I buy another pair no, I would buy the Brownings again tho

afterhours
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
vs's are very pricey, but damned they are sweet :). and i've seen them cut a 3/0 hook that was stuck in max's finger with no problems.

Tagger
04-10-2010, 08:06 PM

I buy a big can of WD 40 .. $3 and spray them down when I remember .. Cut hooks great .. I'll never again leave myself in a position where I can't cut a hook ..

stripermaineiac
04-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I like the Donmar pliers and the good old leatherman. I've got loads of others including many mentioned here . They all work good but many are so expensive that loosing them overboard or out in the sure make using them there unpractical. Murphy already has enough of my gear that doesn't float. LOL Ron

Backbeach Jake
04-10-2010, 08:16 PM
OSJL needle nose $1.99
Channellock nippers that will cut any hook $ 10
WD-40 for maintenence $2
You guys throw money around like drunken sailors...

StriperZ
04-10-2010, 11:25 PM
What ever pliers you buy, make sure they can cut hooks. I have my Klein electrician's pliers 9" blunt. I never tried to cut a 5/0 hook, but it cut the 4/0 hook that went through my left index finger, allowing the fishing trip to continue versus stopping and heading in. I also have a Klein 12" needle nose for getting the hooks out deep in a fish.

Keep them sharp and lubed.

I would also recommend getting a belt sheath or tether to keep it close at hand.

JackK
04-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Dr Slick Pisces... Comes with a sheath, cuts braid no problem, $35. Replace the lanyard and you're good to go. WD-40 once a week or so.

piemma
04-11-2010, 06:22 AM
$3 needlenose from Job Lot. Had the set in my canal bag for over 3 years now (only reason I replaced my last pair was because I lost them). Zap some WD40 on them once a week and they open/close easily.

That puts me at about 87 years before the VS are worth it - and lose a $3 pair of pliers, go to the truck and grab another; lost the VS pliers, cry myself to sleep that night. Not to mention I keep a pair in my surf bag, the boat bag, canal bag, my truck and 2 pairs at home.

Ditto. I have been buying the Job Lot $3.00 needle nose pliers for years. They will last forever if you spray them once in a while with WD-40. I also have a pair of Manley pliers that I do not fish without. I put a treble thru my index finger one night with a 15# bass on the other hook. If it were not for my Manley pliers and their ability to cut a 4/0 hook you would be calling me "stubby".

numbskull
04-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Anybody handled these new Sargent pliers. Cabela's has then for about 50 bucks. Basspro has some chinese knockoff for about 1/2 that.

Right now I use the $12 rapala ss pliers and think they are great (rip out the plastic spring clip). Rapala also makes $22 version with carbide cutters.

saltfly
04-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Being an electrician, my pals all inherit my klein needle nose, bullet proof. My own have been in use 25 years, still work just fine a little lube once and a while.Ditto and Double Ditto to the OSJL :uhuh:

JohnR
04-11-2010, 10:21 AM

...Not to mention I keep a pair in my surf bag, the boat bag, canal bag, my truck and 2 pairs at home.

Yep

OSJL needle nose $1.99
Channellock nippers that will cut any hook $ 10
WD-40 for maintenence $2
You guys throw money around like drunken sailors...

Yep

Pete F.
04-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Anybody handled these new Sargent pliers. Cabela's has then for about 50 bucks. Basspro has some chinese knockoff for about 1/2 that.

Right now I use the $12 rapala ss pliers and think they are great (rip out the plastic spring clip). Rapala also makes $22 version with carbide cutters.

The sargents are'nt made in china?
I have had fair luck with similar pliers, they work fine as long as you don't try to use them to cut vmcs for all your plugs.
I carry a pair of calcuttas currently and have not had to use them for that:)
I have a pair or two of cheap needlenose with no lanyard also, I will even let other people use them.

Adam_777
04-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I stuff a pair of side cutters inside my bag between the inserts and the bag for cutting hooks.My pliers are for removing hooks from fish and cutting line if I need to.

freebie
04-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I picked up a pair of berkely tec pliers at Raynham flew market for $15 a few weeks ago. didn't really need new pliers as my brownings are still kicking after 3 seasons and very little maintenance but bought them anyhow. they are light, cut braid very well. will post back here after using them for a season on how they hold up.

JFigliuolo
04-12-2010, 07:45 AM

Really? you think so?:smash: Lets see 250/25 = 10...

If a pair lasts me 2 years, thats 20 years for $250. I think that will last me.

Oh, how much to replace the VS if/when they go into the soup?

DOn't get me wrong, spend your $$$ how you wish, but economicaly, the argument doesn't work.

BTW, I use $2 Job lot pliars that and a can of wd40 lasts me quite a while. I figure at least 125 years for $250...

chrisjoe13
04-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Really? you think so?:smash: Lets see 250/25 = 10...

If a pair lasts me 2 years, thats 20 years for $250. I think that will last me.

Oh, how much to replace the VS if/when they go into the soup?

DOn't get me wrong, spend your $$$ how you wish, but economicaly, the argument doesn't work.

BTW, I use $2 Job lot pliars that and a can of wd40 lasts me quite a while. I figure at least 125 years for $250...

Economically, the argument does work (as long as one continues fishing to the ripe old age of about 140!)

massgc
04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm in with the Manley's - 5 years, going strong

Rockport24
04-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I have these made by Ross reels, 3 seasons with them and they still work great with zero maintenance
I think you can get them at ll bean now (around $130)

Cabelas also has an alluminum pair for like $26 right now, which sounds like a good deal.

ThrowingTimber
04-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Ross, I've been a fan of the doctor slicks they hold up well and arent over priced.

Tony, JiggingMaster makes a killer plier sheath for under 10$. Kilsong, carries them in his shop you can google search jig and pop and you should get a return for his store.

Casting Z's
04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
VS pliers will not cut a VMC hooks but it will cut the swivel, the line, the thru wiring of any plug and possibly the hook eye. Bolt cutters in the truck, cut hooks.
I didn't buy my VS pliers to cut hooks but rather to cut braid, trim knots and remove hooks from thrashing fish.
Best 200 buck ever spent and if I loose them, I'll buy another pair.
I work with tools all day long, remodeling homes. I have bought every tool needed, four times over, going mid road quality.
Now I purchase only the best at any cost. They last longer and hold resale value.
I you bought a pair of VS pliers for $200, used them for four years, (providing you didn't try to cut hooks with them) what would you think you could sell them for?
I'll get most my 200 bucks back. Money in the bank!:uhuh:

capequahog
04-14-2010, 05:17 AM
VS pffft

Donmar Checkpoint titanium plier, $320, cuts up to #19 wire and wire up to 180lbs whatever that means, and" cleanly cuts braid and woven wire no frays"

damn put me down for two pair

piemma
04-14-2010, 05:29 AM
"Bolt cutters in the truck, cut hooks"

Yeah, and some night when you put a 4/0 treble through your finger you will end up carrying the plug and Mr. Attached Bass back to the truck to cut the hook. Better off carrying a pair of $26.00 Manley pliers with the sidecutter.

Trust me. Spend enough time in the surf and it will happen. Took me about 30 years for it to happen the first time and I was glad I could cut the hook. No fun being 100 yards out on a reef, in the dark, alone and have a 15# bass attached to your hand.

BigFish
04-14-2010, 05:56 AM
VS pliers will not cut a VMC hooks but it will cut the swivel, the line, the thru wiring of any plug and possibly the hook eye. Bolt cutters in the truck, cut hooks.
I didn't buy my VS pliers to cut hooks but rather to cut braid, trim knots and remove hooks from thrashing fish.
Best 200 buck ever spent and if I loose them, I'll buy another pair.
I work with tools all day long, remodeling homes. I have bought every tool needed, four times over, going mid road quality.
Now I purchase only the best at any cost. They last longer and hold resale value.
I you bought a pair of VS pliers for $200, used them for four years, (providing you didn't try to cut hooks with them) what would you think you could sell them for?
I'll get most my 200 bucks back. Money in the bank!:uhuh:

VS pliers do indeed cut VMC hooks! I have several times and have yet to change the teeth.:huh: I also agree with everything else you say......buy the best always! Funny I wonder how many guys have spent a bundle on high end reels but do not think the money is well spent on the best pair of pliers money can buy??

SeaWolf
04-14-2010, 07:27 AM
with my manley's, i've cut at least 3 hooks (1 w/ fish still on) out of fisherman's hands thru the years. luckily, not mine...yet. i've even cut a bail off a 704 while a friend was fighting a fish. it ruined the cutter for braid, but they still worked. i can't count the number of hooks i've cut out of fish and off lures thru the years on them. granted, i may get 4-6 years out of a pair of manley's but that's only because they won't cut braid anymore, not that they wont cut mono or hooks anymore. there are always a 2nd pair in the truck. wd-40 is their best friend, but mine may not get a wash after every trip.

i want a pair of vs pliers just for the better braid cutting capabilities and titanium, but it's hard to not carry the manleys just for the better hook cutting capabilites as you never know when you'll need to cut a hook. if i only fished on a boat, i would have a pair of vs pliers. you could always leave the manleys in the cabin too.

i also carry a pair of shimano needle nose pliers i got for like $10 10 years ago. except for a little wd once in a while, these have not rusted at all. best $10 i spent.

Casting Z's
04-14-2010, 09:10 AM
"Bolt cutters in the truck, cut hooks"

Yeah, and some night when you put a 4/0 treble through your finger you will end up carrying the plug and Mr. Attached Bass back to the truck to cut the hook. Better off carrying a pair of $26.00 Manley pliers with the sidecutter.

Trust me. Spend enough time in the surf and it will happen. Took me about 30 years for it to happen the first time and I was glad I could cut the hook. No fun being 100 yards out on a reef, in the dark, alone and have a 15# bass attached to your hand.
Thanks for painting that picture for me with crayons.
Not going to carry manly pliers in the surf all night. If you like that maintenance program, she's all yours!
As far as a hook in the finger, attached to a thrashing fish, well! If you pulled out them pliers and held that lose hook before you try and lip the fish, (kind of like what one does when a blue in on the end of the line) one could minimize the odds. I can bet that you where standing on the fish's head when this happened, keeping it from inflicting more pain.
The VS pliers can cut the swivel eye, the thru wiring or even the hook eye.
35 years ago, I was fishing all over Narragansett‎ Bay, from shore to boat. I've seen it all!

MAKAI
04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
BARBLESS, end of problem.
Leaping blues can shake off ( a good thing )
Bass tend to stay pinned.
Self surgical is a lot easier.
I am referring to standing in sternum high water at nite.

jake
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Can't go wrong with them.
jake

WoodyCT
04-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Manleys are the way to go. Cost effective, cut anything you may need them to, low maintenance too. The odd rinse and squirt of lube is all they need. No need to waste money on big dollar pliers. And if carrying something so heavy is a problem it might be time to hit the gym 3-4 times a week.;-)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

stripermaineiac
04-18-2010, 08:43 AM
The Manleys can't be beat. But no matter what type you choose try them on your biggest hook you carry ist to make sure they're gonna do what you need when you need it. Sure gonna bite iy your connected to a big bass or blue by a 6/0 or 7/0 VMC and your way out on a rock by yourself- like none of us have done that LOL-and your cutter won't cut you free. OUCH.I've rescued a couple people includin myself with my manleys.Got 6 pair. one in each plug bag.Had 8 but some nice freinds borrowed a couple pair LOL-no plug bag is safe around freinds LOL

WoodyCT
04-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Walked into a Bomber hanging in the basement not 12 hours after my last post!:uhuh:

Cut the split ring with my Manleys in front of the bathroom mirror.:uhuh:

Then off to the ER for a shot and some TLC from the nice lady there.

SO GLAD I've steered clear of the VS pliers Cool Aid! I'd have been driving around with the whole Magnum hanging off my face instead of just the hook.:rotf2:

mag minnow
04-18-2010, 04:41 PM
It's all fun and games until someone has a plug hanging from their face. Eeewwww.....:skulz:

stripermaineiac
04-18-2010, 08:41 PM
i so wish that I could say I've never done something like that. OUCH

Tagger
04-19-2010, 06:44 AM
I do that all the time .. when the hook sets on myself feels like a fish ..

maddmatt
04-19-2010, 07:32 AM

ditto. i think this is the first time we agree!!

crisco
04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I have these made by Ross reels, 3 seasons with them and they still work great with zero maintenance
I think you can get them at ll bean now (around $130)

Cabelas also has an alluminum pair for like $26 right now, which sounds like a good deal.

Do you know how much they weigh? I have the 7" brownings and they have lasted well, but they seem heavy!

Or the P-Line Adaro...any idea on weight?

pmbrac
04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Has anyone tried the Okuma pliers that M&D's carry?? I think they are the Cavalla model. They look really nice and are $50 like the Brownings..

texican
04-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Has anyone tried the Okuma pliers that M&D's carry?? I think they are the Cavalla model. They look really nice and are $50 like the Brownings..

I picked them up before the start of the season, actually when Mike had the sale in the shop. They have been out on a few trips and have been underwater the majority of the time. I have not rinsed them and don't plan on it to see how they hold up. I can tell you that I can cut braid without putting any tension on it and makes a clean cut. Time will tell. I was in Mikes yesterday and he only has a pair left. He did mention that they made replaceable parts for them.
I am tempted to buy some extra cutters to try to cut a hook with but I'll save that untill the offseason. Till then I'll carry a set of Manleys in the car just in case.

Pete F.
04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I picked them up before the start of the season, actually when Mike had the sale in the shop. They have been out on a few trips and have been underwater the majority of the time. I have not rinsed them and don't plan on it to see how they hold up. I can tell you that I can cut braid without putting any tension on it and makes a clean cut. Time will tell. I was in Mikes yesterday and he only has a pair left. He did mention that they made replaceable parts for them.
I am tempted to buy some extra cutters to try to cut a hook with but I'll save that untill the offseason. Till then I'll carry a set of Manleys in the car just in case.

Just make sure you can get the screws out before you try and cut a hook with them. If they are not lubed they might be siezed up already.

reelecstasy
04-28-2010, 05:30 PM
I use Ross Pescadors 6.. going on 4 yrs and I love them
http://i3.avlws.com/99/l719.png