View Full Version : Old surf rods...what do you do with them?

Mr. Sandman
04-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Probably like many of you, I have a collection of rods that go back aways that I don't want to just throw away. Some have sentimental value that I will never get rid of some are just not the current state of the art and I will not fish it much anymore. I keep them around as back ups for family/friends when the come up but now the collection is pretty deep. Some have not been used now in a decade.

What do you do with your old gear?

striprman
04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Just leave it where it is until I'm gone and let my kids worry about it.

Does the Wareham library still give out (with your library card) fishing equipment ? I thought they did. Donate it.

pbadad
04-10-2010, 05:51 PM
our club, Ct. Surfcasters donates old fishing wquipment to a marine oriented high school for their afterschool fishing. Some of the looks on the kids faces who catch their first fish is unforgettable. One of our long time member is a teacher and fishing mentor at this school: Sound School New haven, Ct. They will take just about anything in just about any condition. They will try to make the item work b/4 it's rendered useless. If you have gear and still have n't decided what to do eith it, pm me and I'll get you in contact with our club's school representative.

stripermaineiac
04-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Do yourself a favor and once and a while take one of those old rods out and use it with one of those old stand by lures.It will light a flame inside and take you down memory lane. Plus you'll probably get some nice fish on it.I keep all my old stuff ready to use for myself and for company. amazing it still does the job and at times better than all these new high end rods I've built and these reels I now own. Tight lines time to go fishing Ron

Slipknot
04-10-2010, 07:21 PM
I have donated rods to Roy and John at the Fishing Academy.
The kids wear stuff out and can use them.

Hookedagain
04-10-2010, 07:22 PM
If anyone is interested I am sending old/used fishing gear to Iraq for the troops to fish with. My sons cub scout pack will be sending several packages of gear out at the end of April. Several guys have already donated items and I'm picking more up tomorrow. Thanks

Tagger
04-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I luv my lami honey 121 3m ... old friend ,,. What would I get for it ? It's earned its keep ..

Back Beach
04-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Use them for tomato poles.

numbskull
04-11-2010, 07:14 AM
I use mine to help out the spiders that live in my basement.

slow eddie
04-11-2010, 08:11 AM
use them for curtain rods. i did one house with the old split rods that i varnished. great look.

Swimmer
04-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Use them for extending your favorite blank just those few inches longer to make what you think would be the perfect rod. Or make nice wrapped gaffs from them.

SAUERKRAUT
04-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I stripped down one 11 ft. Lami GSB 132, wrapped a stainless 10/0 tuna hook on the end, and now have the most useful boathook I could need. It floats; it is light, and sometimes I use it for poling along. It's great for grabbing the dock coming on and off the trailer.