View Full Version : Vega Question

dannyplug1
04-13-2010, 09:45 PM
I recently took the plunge and purchased a vega duplicator you know the one about 250 from packard. So far the learning curve has been tough. four exploded on the lathe out of five. I know the set up is right as the famous Canal man generously helped me set it up. There is no way I could have done it my self. Thanks Canalman!
I am using the cutter the vega came with and turning red cedar ballesters. Is my explosion problem due to my inexperience, the quality of the cutter, or is red cedar delicate? Thanks I appreciate your input. Thanks dannyplug1 king of Small Striped bass.

The Dad Fisherman
04-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Are you making a couple of passes to rough out the shape before doing the final pass? If you just try an run the template without doing that they will tear up.

smac
04-14-2010, 05:47 AM
Are there any checks(cracks ) going through the wood ? Like DF mention are you taking to much material off ? Once the corners ar eknocked off I usually go 1/16"-18" on each pass until I get close to the final pass. Then the speed and depth are reduced.

Back Beach
04-14-2010, 05:53 AM
I took the spring off mine that holds the cutter down onto the wood and I just do it by hand pressure now. I, too, had a couple bodies explode due to my taking too much of a bite off the wood.

Mugz
04-14-2010, 06:59 AM
This makes me nervous...I am picking up a new Vega this weekend.
Good to see what I am up against. But, I do know you can't rush or lay into the wood. This will make my much more cautious.

Charleston
04-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Watch the stylus as you rough. Turn the entire blank straight almost to the hifghest pont on the master/template. Then go in and rough along teh slopes and low points. When you have all but say a 1/8 inch of material to go, let the duplicator do the job. If you have slopes let the duplicator follow from the high points going down. For some reason Vega dups don't like to turn coming uphill.

Simply remember not to crowd the tool. You will have no blow ups.

stripermaineiac
04-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Make sure your blanks are long enough so that the cutter doesn't jam at the end of the body due to the angle being too sharp.Just take it slow n easy and you'll love the thing real quick. Ron