View Full Version : Registration/License

decksweeper
04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Just looking to make sure on this... So In RI, for 2010 all I need to do is register on www.countmyfish.noaa.gov. and I'm good for the year? And next year we pay?

And on a side note...should I not have this little card on me and I "get caught" without it, do we know what if any penalty there will be?

Thanks for the help...

piemma
04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
That is correct. Either or.

Don't know the penalty for not having your card. It is waterproof so just tuck it in your surfbag

Mike P
04-14-2010, 07:41 PM
I thought that the RI license went into effect this year??? :confused:

decksweeper
04-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks Paul. I called DEM yesterday and spoke to a woman that said that they were putting off requiring the purchase of a license until next year. Although the registration is still required and you can get it either on the site above or as of today it should be on the RI DEM site. Unless I'm missing something that's all we have to do for this year.

Mike J.
04-15-2010, 09:55 AM
And on a side note...should I not have this little card on me and I "get caught" without it, do we know what if any penalty there will be?

Thanks for the help...

I have photocopied my card and placed copies in every surf bag, vehicle, Boat, etc I have. I even placed a waterproof copy in the butt section of my surf rods just in case.

piemma
04-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I thought that the RI license went into effect this year??? :confused:

It did Mike but the law states either the RI License OR the Federal registration.

pcfisherman
04-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Does the Federal Reg or the RI licsense cover CT or MA this year?

Nocturnal 1
04-15-2010, 12:53 PM
RIDEM/Division of Fish & Wildlife- Recreational Saltwater Fishing License Index Page (http://www.saltwater.ri.gov)

decksweeper
04-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Interesting....so for 2010, you need either the federal which is FREE, or the State which is 7 bucks.

Needmore Salts
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM

i have the same question...someone please enlighten me.....i did register though for this even though i know i will probally have to pay in ct....

Nocturnal 1
04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Taken from the website
What is the difference between the federal registration and the RI license? What if I already enrolled in the Federal Registry?

The federal registration applies equally in RI waters and in offshore federal waters. So, if you have already registered with the National Saltwater Angler Registry Program, you do not need to also obtain a RI Recreational Saltwater Fishing License to fish in RI marine waters or in offshore federal waters. However, the federal registration is not honored by all neighboring states - for example, it is not accepted in Connecticut or New York state waters. It is accepted in Massachusetts state waters for 2010, but that might change in 2011 when Massachusetts enacts their state license program. Because of the reciprocity provisions, the RI license is broadly applicable, and precludes the need to obtain separate state licenses from neighboring states.

Mike P
04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Interesting....so for 2010, you need either the federal which is FREE, or the State which is 7 bucks.

But if you fish CT, the RI license will be honored there. Otherwise you'd need a CT non-resident license and I know they cost more than $7 ;)

As for Mass, if you have a license from any state, you don't need the Registry card--that is a Federal law requirement and the law says people with valid SW licenses from any state or a Federal fisheries permit (HMS permit for example) don't need to register.

Next year you will need a SW license for Mass. However if your state allows Mass residents reciprocity, Mass will honor that license. As of today, NH, RI and CT all offer reciprocity to Mass. residents. Maine and NY do not, so anglers from those two states will need a Mass non-resident license beginning in 2011, unless their laws are amended. NJ has not yet decided on a license and may never act. Their anglers will have to pay whatever the Federal registry fee will be next year, AND buy a license from every state they want to fish in, if they don't have a license in place.

decksweeper
04-16-2010, 08:15 AM
But if you fish CT, the RI license will be honored there. Otherwise you'd need a CT non-resident license and I know they cost more than $7 ;)

As for Mass, if you have a license from any state, you don't need the Registry card--that is a Federal law requirement and the law says people with valid SW licenses from any state or a Federal fisheries permit (HMS permit for example) don't need to register.

Next year you will need a SW license for Mass. However if your state allows Mass residents reciprocity, Mass will honor that license. As of today, NH, RI and CT all offer reciprocity to Mass. residents. Maine and NY do not, so anglers from those two states will need a Mass non-resident license beginning in 2011, unless their laws are amended. NJ has not yet decided on a license and may never act. Their anglers will have to pay whatever the Federal registry fee will be next year, AND buy a license from every state they want to fish in, if they don't have a license in place.

I just went on the RI site and got the RI license too. So either way I'm covered, and maybe puts a + in the Karma box.

BassDawg
04-17-2010, 09:59 AM
just registered~~~

so is this a new set of ####'s to memorize right
along with me bank acct's, ss#, wife's and daughter's social's,
and the thousands of other phone digits bouncing around in there???

shore hope this works the way we want it to!!
if NOT, they'll be counting one less angler. don't really
see this as very enforceable, except if yer fishin' where
they expect ya to be fishin' :uhuh: :wall: :wall: :wall: :uhuh:

basswipe
04-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Quoted from the website:

Other state waters: The RI license also applies in the state waters of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York, as well as in the waters of all other states that honor RI's license (a list of all other states will be provided here as soon as information on those states is collected).

Mike P
04-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Quoted from the website:

Other state waters: The RI license also applies in the state waters of Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York, as well as in the waters of all other states that honor RI's license (a list of all other states will be provided here as soon as information on those states is collected).

DEM is handing out wrong advice there.

There is a very small portion of NY waters where a RI license will allow one to fish--and from shore, it basically limits you to Montauk. From NY's DEC Marine website:

Are there any reciprocal license agreements with other states where marine waters form boundaries with other states?
Yes. If a state sharing a marine water boundary with New York has an active marine license** program and grants New York recreational marine fishing license holders fishing privileges in that state's portion of the boundary water(s), then New York grants the appropriately licensed anglers from that state the privilege to fish in the New York portion of the boundary water(s) without securing a New York recreational marine fishing license. The following waters are included in this reciprocal agreement:

Connecticut: those parts of Long Island Sound lying between New York and Connecticut

New Jersey: those parts of New York Harbor, Hudson River, Kill Van Kull, Arthur Kill, Raritan Bay, and Atlantic Ocean lying between New Jersey and New York, and

Rhode Island: those parts of Long Island Sound, Block Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean lying between Rhode Island and New York.

basswipe
04-17-2010, 12:36 PM
This is the kind of crap that pisses me off.This is why SW liscences are an effing joke.NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THE EFF IS GOING ON!!!Nobody and everybody either knows it all or knows nothing.Does anybody out there REALLY know what the scoop is with the RI SW liscense?

I'm done with worrying about be liscensed to fish the salt.I just won't and I'll bend over when the time comes and pay the goddamn penalty.

For %$%$%$%$s and grins I just tried purchasing the RI liscense.Site don't work.Imagine that...something not working right in RI.:hs:

Salty
04-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I got my RI license on line today, in case I go out of state, I'm not sure if the Fed will cover me, I am 65 and it was free.

Salty
04-17-2010, 02:10 PM
[URL="http://www.saltwater.ri.gov/

basswipe
04-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Knee jerk reaction on my part.Already had the federal...just wanna be covered all the way.There's no clarity on exactly what either covers and that's what frustrates me.

Mike P
04-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Knee jerk reaction on my part.Already had the federal...just wanna be covered all the way.There's no clarity on exactly what either covers and that's what frustrates me.

Just ask me ;)