View Full Version : Meathead trout

cheferson
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
URI scientists breeding superbuff trout - Projo 7 to 7 News Blog | Rhode Island news | The Providence Journal (http://newsblog.projo.com/2010/04/uri-scientists-breeding-superb.html)

SurfCaster413
04-14-2010, 11:20 AM
I would not eat something that ugly

FishermanTim
04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, that's ALL we need... Some idiot will "accidentally" release a few into a local waterway/pond and **presto** instant eco-disaster for the trout fisheries.
Here's a novel idea....let the clown that felt the need to improve on God's design be the one to tase-test that thing.

Isn't it amazing that with all the possible diseases and ailments affecting the world that these "super-geniuses" felt that improving trout was way more important?
What's next.. A cow that will milk itself? Or maybe a lobster/crab with 6 claws that already tastes like butter? Or even better, chicken with no feathers and no bones that tastes like buffalo sauce?

Are these the same A-hole scientists that spent millions researching cow farts?

Must be Community College grads (with C averages).

decksweeper
04-14-2010, 12:44 PM
that thing looks nasty.....

luv2flyfish
04-14-2010, 01:50 PM
ugly

robc22
04-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Ugh!!!.....please keep them out of my local trout ponds..........

FishermanTim
04-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey, it couldn't be any worse than when they "released" the Asian Carp in the Mississippi River could it?:smash:
Whoever is giving these morons the time, money and ability to do stupid, worthless stuff like this should be drawn and quartered.

When there are so many other worthy causes or problems that they could be working on, and THIS was the best they could come up with? :wall:
WTF! :fury:
All I can say is that it definitely is NOT money well spent!:tm:

RIROCKHOUND
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey, it couldn't be any worse than when they "released" the Asian Carp in the Mississippi River could it?:smash:
Whoever is giving these morons the time, money and ability to do stupid, worthless stuff like this should be drawn and quartered.

When there are so many other worthy causes or problems that they could be working on, and THIS was the best they could come up with? :wall:
WTF! :fury:
All I can say is that it definitely is NOT money well spent!:tm:

WTF back.

this wasn't done as bull%$%$%$%$. they are in the fisheries and aquaculture department

"The discovery could help the 1,000 trout farms in the U.S., which are located in places like Idaho, New York, Pennsylvania and California and already produce about $80 million worth of rainbow trout annually. Bradley said that using the new breed could let aquaculture companies producer larger fish with the same amount of food."

the genetic food argument aside, this is basically the number 1 goal of people raising animals for food and profit. Grow more, eat less...

but if you want to go back to saying WTF and it is a waste of time, go ahead.

FishermanTim
04-14-2010, 03:20 PM
I'll concede that point, but there is no way in hell that I would even touch a fish like that.
One other (underlying) concern would be: What happens WHEN, not IF these fish find their way into a waterway consisting of NATIVE trout, and subsequently replaces them?
How many ponds/lakes have been decimated by the introduction of a non-native species? Some may have been accidental, but some were not.

*The "Fisheries" aspect would be better suited to trying to clean up the existing rivers, stream and ponds to re-create a sustainable trout population. I wonder how many waterways in New England actually hold NATIVE brrok trout? I could probably count them on one hand.
Instead of trying to fix the underlying problem of water pollution and spawning access for trout/salmon, most fisheries feel content to just keep breeding and seeding a "put & take" fishery which does nothing more than guarantee that native trout will be (or may already be) gone for good. *Of course this is pure conjecture.*

I do applaud their efforts, since fixing the problems will take more money than they could ever hope to see, but I can't ignore what is being done "in the name of science and scientific advances".

I still can't get over the look of that fish. If I caught something like that, I'd throw it back and give up fishing that body of water thinking it was polluted to create a abberration like that.

SurfCaster413
04-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Or even better, chicken with no feathers and no bones that tastes like buffalo sauce?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:drool:

cheferson
04-15-2010, 08:08 AM
found a video

YouTube - Terry Bradley: Transgenic Fish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVx9m3ucGcY)

Notaro
04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
WTH...

Raven
04-15-2010, 06:11 PM
there was rumor about developing headless chickens
and they just feed them intravenously.

PRBuzz
04-15-2010, 06:53 PM
There is no mention of the appearance of the meat or taste....the GE fish must be able to substitute for the current fish. Who cares if the fish look like monsters unless they escape into the wild and become the subject of the next sci-fi movie: The Trout that ate Newport"

sully12rng
04-15-2010, 07:33 PM
They look sick. a foolish waste of money.... The 6 clawed lobsta that tastes like butter would be a much better project.
or maybe Montreal steak flavored beef cattle.:rotf2:

I wonder if they are sterile in the final stage like some others mutants.???

Raven
04-16-2010, 03:51 AM
i won't even discuss that trout...or watch the video either :yak5:

do none of the great lakes
have hybrid striped bass in them?

here we have the most prolific fish known to man
and we are making frankenstein trout Obaminations
out of the most beautiful fish on the planet. I just don't get it... :doh: