View Full Version : Portable Live Well

Homerun04
02-28-2003, 06:22 PM
As most of you guys know, I cruise the BI, PJ and Cape areas in my 19' Whaler in search of anything biting. I am interested in improving my odds this year, and wanted to look into a nice addition in time for the upcoming herring run.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good portable live well with aeration system? I am looking for something that will keep my netted herring, mackeral and eventually eels fresh for my striper haunts.

Any advice would be appreciated. There is limited room on the 19' footer, so something in the 20 - 30 gallon range I think would be big enough. Also, any advice on anything else I should consider is also appreciated.

Hope to see you guys in the rips soon.....:)

fishaholic18
03-01-2003, 12:03 AM
I have the same situation as you. Small boat and need big live well. I'm in the process of rigging up a port. livewell in my 20' Angler. If I come up with any good ideas I'll let u know. I rigged up a washdown pump last year and I'm thiking of using that to fill a portable well. But I'm still thinking.

JohnR
03-01-2003, 07:07 AM
Three options as I see it:

1 - get on of those Todd Livewell/Leaning posts - migh be a tight fit & $$ for a 19 Whaler
http://www.toddusa.com/images/lplb01.jpg

2 - Get a keep alive system - portable & works great - can be used for shore or boat

3 - 55 or whatever gallon drum and big pump to keep water coming in...

#2 is probably the best option

GBOUTDOORS
03-01-2003, 08:51 AM
30 Gal Keepalive tank and pump for shore and boat. You can rig your wash down to it for fresh water in the boat. Good luck and good fishing.

Goose
03-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by GBOUTDOORS
30 Gal Keepalive tank and pump for shore and boat.

M&D's got what ya need. ;)

fishaholic18
03-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Where's M&D's?:confused:

Goose
03-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Warham Ma.

http://www.capecodtackle.com/

JohnR
03-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Pics are on this page - I think half of us have gotten out keepalives there :D

http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6308

fishaholic18
03-01-2003, 05:53 PM
What does the Keep Alive do for ya, how does it work? Isn't pumping in salt water enough to keep herring alive? I don't have too much trouble keeping them alive in boat livewell, but I have a huge tank in my yard that I have trouble keeping them alive in, I basically have a pump to circulate the water, and I change water every 2 or 3 days. How do you guys do it? Thanks:D

Fly Rod
03-06-2003, 05:38 PM
In my20' Lund I used a 30gal.plastic sryup barrel with a Rule livewell/baitwell pump 1100gph model #205F which cost about $37.00. They also make a 700gph #203F this whole set up will cost about $75.00 or so I now have a 55gal. barrel in my 26' boat.You could mount it either thru hull or make a rig off your transom which I do.

Take your barrel and cut the top out leaving about 1-1/2" lip around the inside of the barrel. This keeps any water from splashing out. Need an off &on valve, some 1-1/8" hose . Rig the pump off the transom with plywood or aluminunm{have to use your imagination here} Attach a plastic or brass scoop so that when you are moving along water will be forced into tank. For a switch I use a house light switch and plastic box.

Go to www.rule-industries.com click on pumps and you should see live/well pumps
I used to keep 24-30 mackeral in the 30 gal. barrel with the 1100gph.

The Unorthodox Flyfisher

Mullet Head
03-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Use a 20 to 30 gallon plastic barrel. Rig a y to your wash down pump with cut off valves. If you don't have a wash down, you can mount an aerator pump on your transom. Run it into a bulkhead fitting on the side of the barrel. Use another bulkhead for the drain, place it at what ever level you want to keep the water. Then run the drain out the back of the boat. As for eels, just put them into a damp cooler for best results. Makes them easier to catch and I have kept them alive for a week like this.