View Full Version : Unusually Warm Spring Causes Spike In Local Water Temps

Crafty Angler
04-16-2010, 06:01 AM
After talking to Tautog at last night's club meeting we discussed what seemed to me to be higher than normal water temps in our area this year

And after doing some research when I got home - based on historical data from NOAA - our unusually warm Spring so far has caused a 5 degree jump in water temps for this date versus last year, according to readings taken from the Castle Hill NOAA buoy

NDBC - Station NWPR1 (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=nwpr1)

So if you're procratinating on getting your gear together for the 2010 season...you'd better get cookin'

The season may be here sooner than you think

Of course, George also forewarned me that this hypothesis could generate a response from someone attempting to use science to refute it

Me, I'll stand by my opinion...:no2:

striperman36
04-16-2010, 06:45 AM
did someone tell the fish and their friends?

RIROCKHOUND
04-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Chuck:
FYI, the station is not at Castle Hill, rather it is actually at Coasters Harbor Island on the Base.....

Crafty Angler
04-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Chuck:
FYI, the station is not at Castle Hill, rather it is actually at Coasters Harbor Island on the Base.....

Jeez, Bryan - I was expecting you to use science and here you get me on simple geography...:rotflmao:

Where are they sampling the water temps then?

RIROCKHOUND
04-16-2010, 10:08 AM
right at the tide gauge there is a temp gauge, plus all the other meteorological accouterments.

I don't have a clue on water temps or seasons. it might make some fish 'chew' but I think migrations and such are driven by something different, as it seems the bass and others arrive like clock work, regardless of temps...

Crafty Angler
04-16-2010, 11:26 AM
right at the tide gauge there is a temp gauge, plus all the other meteorological accouterments.

I don't have a clue on water temps or seasons. it might make some fish 'chew' but I think migrations and such are driven by something different, as it seems the bass and others arrive like clock work, regardless of temps...

I dunno, Bry, this might be worth batting around with Professor O'Nitis - I'll have to run it by him to get his take on it

BTW, did Dad tell you that we may be moving to the Hibernian next year? I'm all for it

At last, a nice place for club meetings within crawling distance of my house...:cheers:

striperman36
04-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I dunno, Bry, this might be worth batting around with Professor O'Nitis - I'll have to run it by him to get his take on it

BTW, did Dad tell you that we may be moving to the Hibernian next year? I'm all for it

At last, a nice place for club meetings within crawling distance of my house...:cheers:

Maybe I should start comin, knowin there's a place that close to be able to take up part of the rug.