View Full Version : How do you make clam pie?

Jimbo
04-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Been reading a good book by an old Cape Cod codger where it came up, and talking to my West Dennis born mother about clam pie, by her recollection, sea clam pie, but memory loss is only part of the s#%t she's dealing with now. My father says they'd get the clams low tide at Chapin and she'd make it for him, but he doesn't know what she did. Anyway, I recently tried George's from the fish market in W. Harwich. It was excellent, but reminded me more of a stuff quahog consistency. Some of what sounded like more traditional recipes I could find online called for potatoes and onions, too, and I didn't taste a whole lot of that. Madeline's has a seafood pie with saffron sherry sauce but that seemed like the gourmet version. Going to do some experimenting, but thought I'd also see if anyone has a recipe they'd share. I'm really looking for something simpler like might have been the norm in the 40's, without a ton of spices, garlic, hot pepper, chourico and such. I like those ingredients, just want to try and peg what a post depression Capee would have eaten.

Swimmer
04-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Been reading a good book by an old Cape Cod codger where it came up, and talking to my West Dennis born mother about clam pie, by her recollection, sea clam pie, but memory loss is only part of the s#%t she's dealing with now. My father says they'd get the clams low tide at Chapin and she'd make it for him, but he doesn't know what she did. Anyway, I recently tried George's from the fish market in W. Harwich. It was excellent, but reminded me more of a stuff quahog consistency. Some of what sounded like more traditional recipes I could find online called for potatoes and onions, too, and I didn't taste a whole lot of that. Madeline's has a seafood pie with saffron sherry sauce but that seemed like the gourmet version. Going to do some experimenting, but thought I'd also see if anyone has a recipe they'd share. I'm really looking for something simpler like might have been the norm in the 40's, without a ton of spices, garlic, hot pepper, chourico and such. I like those ingredients, just want to try and peg what a post depression Capee would have eaten.

Look up cook books by Captain Phil Scwin, passed away, but formerly of Samoset Road, in Eastham. He wrote a few good cooks that I bet you could find clam pie in.

WESTPORTMAFIA
04-16-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm sure it involves a razor of some sort:drool:

Slingah
04-16-2010, 08:35 PM
I'll bet Clammer has a naughty version...:jump1:

Nebe
04-16-2010, 09:34 PM
here you go (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cape+cod+clam+pie)

Slingah
04-16-2010, 10:18 PM
here you go (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cape+cod+clam+pie)

how did you do that??? :rotf2:

Nebe
04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
I know thingz
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jimbo
04-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks and how did you do that? I had done a lot of searches, but not seen hit number 3 which sounds very close to what I was looking for.
I also wanted to make something from my original post right, it was Marie's, not Madeline's, (while not sampling the seafood pie, the apple pie there is incredible).